• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

95mm filter info?????? (1 Viewer)

holdinsteady

holdinsteady
This is my first post on this forum....have been reading for a couple of weeks....enough to know there is a tremendous amount of experience and expertise in this group. So....I am here in search of knowlege.
I recently purchased a Kowa 883 w/prominar lense, 20x60 and LE27x eyepieces. Also got a Minox DCM to experiment with long-distance video clips of short duration through the scope. My primary use of the scope will be as visual aid in spotting bullet impacts at ranges up to 1000 yds. In addition I will probably do some occaisional digiscoping for still and video.
My question is.......what 95 mm lense filter would be the all around best for this scope. I am looking for lense protection and maximum light transmision without negatively altering what I see through the bare lense. I'm not sure what the difference is in all the filter designations such as UV haze, sky light, neutral density ratings, etc.
Any inputs are greatly appreciated:hi:
Jerry

This is my first post on this forum....have been reading for a couple of weeks....enough to know there is a tremendous amount of experience and expertise in this group. So....I am here in search of knowlege.
I recently purchased a Kowa 883 w/prominar lense, 20x60 and LE27x eyepieces. Also got a Minox DCM to experiment with long-distance video clips of short duration through the scope. My primary use of the scope will be as visual aid in spotting bullet impacts at ranges up to 1000 yds. In addition I will probably do some occaisional digiscoping for still and video.
My question is.......what 95 mm lense filter would be the all around best for this scope. I am looking for lense protection and maximum light transmision without negatively altering what I see through the bare lense. I'm not sure what the difference is in all the filter designations such as UV haze, sky light, neutral density ratings, etc.
Jerry
see past postings on filters, lots to read. i went with the CLEAR digi protect filters.

Thanx for the replies.....looks as if most prefer not to use a filter due to image quality issues. I won't have a choice however due to the probable contamination of the lense with black powder and bullet lubricant residue during firing. I will look for a good daylight or uv filter with hight light trans quality:t:
Jerry

Hi Jerry, Maybe you can tell these fellows and gals what you think of the big Kowa spotter.
http://www.6mmbr.com/spotterreview.html

Welcome to BirdForum.
Regards,Steve

Thanx for the welcome Steve,
I'm not enough of a technogeek to give a really all-encompassing detailed summary of the pros and cons of high dollar spotting scopes.........however.....I did get the chance to set up the big Swaro 80mm HD......the Zeiss 85mm Diascope ....and the 88mm Kowa side by side on a bright sunny afternoon in the parking lot of a local vendor. After viewing the details of several structures and the surrounding flora at distances up to 900yds (verified with Leica rangefinder) it was a no-brainer. All looked good but the Kowa Prominar was the easy pic. The 20x60 eyepiece was superb and the LE 25x was great with glasses on. :t::t::t:
Jerry

Hi Jerry, What you say backs up what other people have said about the big Kowa Spotter. Here is another Kowa I would like to get.The Kowa 32x82 Highlander Fluorite.:)
Regards,Steve

Attachments

• lost creek shoe shop 021crop 2.jpg
    lost creek shoe shop 021crop 2.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 214
I recently purchased a Kowa 883 w/prominar lense, 20x60 and LE27x eyepieces.
Jerry

You don't need a filter, but I use one in driving rain or in conditions of sea spray because it is much easier to clean than the recessed objective element. I bought a high quality fully multi-coated B+W MRC UV haze with a hydrophobic coating. High-end filters such as this are expensive, but will not reduce light transmission to an observable degree in good light and will not compromise the optical qualities.

Now, this will surprise you. The filter attaches to the Kowa's sliding lens shade, not the objective mount. 95mm is the correct size.

Norman P

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back