• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa Genesis 44 Prominar XD... What filters to put? (1 Viewer)

mauriciolacruz

Spain
I have the 8.5x44 (I'm delighted with them) and I'm seriously considering buying the 10.5x44 as well.

As some of you know, these binoculars have a front thread to put filters.

After a lot of searching, instead of putting clear protective filters on them, I have chosen to put some UV filters because apparently they somewhat improve the contrast and reduce haze, especially at long distances.

My question is: Would it be worth choosing to also buy circular polarizing filters or not? Or others?

Coming from photography, where at least for me polarizing filters are essential, I wonder if they will also be as important on binoculars or not, since what throws me off the most is:

- On the one hand, losing more luminosity (with a polarizer, much more light is lost than with a clear protective filter or with a UV), and

- On the other hand, having to constantly rotate both filters (not just one as in the case of cameras, but both since there are two lenses and that seems very cumbersome to me.)

My main objective is the observation of nature as a whole, not just the birds.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

😊

Last edited:
I have the 8.5x44 (I'm delighted with them) and I'm seriously considering buying the 10.5x44 as well.

As some of you know, these binoculars have a front thread to put filters.

After a lot of searching, instead of putting transparent protection filters on them, I have chosen to put some UV filters because apparently they improve the contrast somewhat and reduce haze, especially at long distances.

My question is: Would it be worth choosing to also buy circular polarizing filters or not? Or others?

Coming from photography, where at least for me polarizing filters are essential, I wonder if they will also be as important in binoculars or not, since what throws me off the most is:

- On the one hand, losing more luminosity (with a polarizer, much more light is lost than with a protective filter or with UV), and

- On the other hand, having to constantly rotate both filters (not just one as in the case of cameras, but both since there are two lenses and that seems very cumbersome to me.)

My main objective is the observation of nature as a whole, not just the birds.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

😊
Are polarizing filters likely to be am improvement over just wearing polarized sunglasses? They certainly seem less convenient, based on your description.
More generally, any added glass will reduce the light transmission. Adding lens hoods instead of filters would better protect the lenses, while also reducing glare and precipitation impacts, with no loss of light.

If you are particularly paranoid about damage then a clear filter might allay those fears but I wouldn't bother with any other filters.

Polarised filters on roof binoculars have the potential to seriously mess up the image quality, polarisation control is vital to a good image in roof prism systems.

Are polarizing filters likely to be am improvement over just wearing polarized sunglasses? They certainly seem less convenient, based on your description.
More generally, any added glass will reduce the light transmission. Adding lens hoods instead of filters would better protect the lenses, while also reducing glare and precipitation impacts, with no loss of light.
Well, linear or fixed polarizing filters are one thing (which polarizing effect is not adjustable like glasses with polarized lenses), and circular polarizing filters are quite another (which effect, depending on the angle with respect to the Sun, can be graduated from 0% to 100% rotating the front thread.)

My question is, regardless of the type of polarizing filter we are talking about (linear or circular), based on knowing if there is any real advantage in using them with binoculars, since I have read some comments stating that, at least in astronomical observation (of the Moon, etc.), they can be useful to eliminate certain unwanted reflections, etc.

For me, in photography, circular polarizing filters are not only practical, but even essential (since they not only saturate the skies and colors in a natural way and allow you to play with reflections on water, crystals, etc., but they also increase the overall dynamic range of the image.) But I doubt that they are so much when observing with binoculars, although that is why I ask, because I want to know your point of view.

Many will say that it is better not to use filters (they have their reasons), but I have decided to use them mainly to protect the lenses (it is not the same to gradually damage the glass of a filter with constant cleaning, especially if there is grit, saltpeter, mosquitoes stuck, splashes or other particles, being able to replace them quickly and economically, than having to service the front lenses of the binoculars or, directly, ending up replacing and buying high-priced new ones.)

My decision is firm: I am going to use (in fact I am already using) filters on my Kowa Genesis 44 Prominar XD. They are UV filters of optical quality more than enough to maintain (not losing) the level of sharpness without sacrificing brightness. And so I feel tranquile to keep the front lenses of my binoculars always protected and to avoid at all costs the constant cleaning that, in the long run, would damage them.

My common sense tells me that with UV filters it will be more than enough, since polarizers remove a lot of light and you also have to constantly rotate both (which is a nuisance), but are there advantages to polarizing filters that outweigh those drawbacks?

Last edited:
If you are particularly paranoid about damage then a clear filter might allay those fears but I wouldn't bother with any other filters.

Polarised filters on roof binoculars have the potential to seriously mess up the image quality, polarisation control is vital to a good image in roof prism systems.
I think I'll forget about polarizing filters. Will just stick with UV or clear protective filters. Nothing else. You're right. 👍🏻

I think I'll forget about polarizing filters. Will just stick with UV or clear protective filters. Nothing else. You're right. 👍🏻
I got off the 'protective filter' bandwagon while birding in Ireland.
Enjoying the normal Irish weather, condensation gradually accumulated between the scope lens and its protective filter., rather to my surprise.
The penny dropped only after the bird (a Red Flanked Bluetail iirc, a really good bird even for a vagrant trap such as Cape Clear) had left, so I decided to avoid filters henceforth.
I switched to hoods instead to provide the desired protection, have not had problems with them yet.

I got off the 'protective filter' bandwagon while birding in Ireland.
Enjoying the normal Irish weather, condensation gradually accumulated between the scope lens and its protective filter., rather to my surprise.
The penny dropped only after the bird (a Red Flanked Bluetail iirc, a really good bird even for a vagrant trap such as Cape Clear) had left, so I decided to avoid filters henceforth.
I switched to hoods instead to provide the desired protection, have not had problems with them yet.

This mirrors the advice I got from someone at kowa some years ago when I asked if they recommended filters to protect the objectives on my genesis 8.5x44s during ordinary use , and if so what. No need, was the answer, explaining the coatings were applied in multiple layers and they were pretty durable. Condensation was cited as a possible downside.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back