• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long Eared or GHO?? (1 Viewer)

JDV

Thought maybe yall would know what I encountered. The other night (dusk) I was out in the woods of Middle TN and heard what sounded like either a dog/coyote or a big alley cat. I tracked it down and saw that it was an owl. In yalls opinion, Was it more likely a GHO or LEO?? It was about 14-18 inches high.

GHO would look wide and big (not familiar with the calls), LEO long and thin (call doesn't sound right); probably LEO from your size tho..........may be more than one species of owl in your neighborhood...........

Andy.

JDV,
I'm assuming you saw some "horns" or "ears" as these were the only two you suggested. There are also several owls in your area such as Barn and Barred but based on your suggestions I'm not considering them.

There is also the possibility of a Short-eared Owl. Did you rule this one out based on the relatively short "ears"?

To distinguish between the two you suggest, Satrow's suggestion that the LEO is long and slender in appearance while the GHO appears rather stocky is very good.

For calls, the GHO has a repeated call of (3 to 8) hoots while the LEO (from Peterson's guide, as I have never ID'd this one) has "a low moaning hooooo. Also a catlike whine".

Hope this helps.

And a Barred's call is "Who cooks for you? Who cooks for you all?"

And no, it wouldn't necessary become "cooks for y'all" just because it's in Tennessee . . . or would it?

Of course, Barreds can also sounds like rabid monkeys with something vital caught in a wringer -- but that's usually juvies learning how to be owls.

JDV, the Long-eared can produce dog-like barking which you'd swear was never made by any bird! Totally like a dog, and very eerie/spooky if you didn't know; enough to make your skin crawl!

The Great Horned Owl has exactly the kind of deep series of hoots that anyone would associate with an owl; the classic owl hoot. Impressive.

No way the call you heard would be a Great Horned. As you describe it, it would be a Long-eared; doubtless.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back