• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Avon Avians

United States
Hello, folks!

As I've mentioned on at least one other post, we own a red-eared slider turtle (terrapin) as a pet.
She is an adult turtle, surpassing seven inches in shell length.
I have been considering moving her to an outdoor pond for some time now, as red-eared/pond sliders aren't always manageable as indoor pets.
I'm aware that red-eared sliders are invasive in some areas, so I plan to keep her confined.

Our turtle enjoys chasing fish, so I plan to add fish to her pond.
However, I've heard that fish often discourage frogs and other amphibians from breeding in ponds.
Hopefully, though, we will have the space to create a smaller but more "frog-friendly" fishless pond for native frogs and toads.

Apparently, American bullfrogs prefer ponds with fish, so any bullfrogs in the area would most likely choose to live in the turtle pond.
Although terrapins are mainly herbivorous, they will occasionally eat frogs and other animals from what I've heard.

I'm hoping that, since our turtle was trained to eat pellets, she might not bother chasing frogs. However, I'm unsure of this, as she hasn't ever encountered a frog (as far as I'm aware).

American bullfrogs are big amphibians, and she may not even dare to try eating an adult (although I've seen them attack bullfrogs cooperatively in a Youtube video, which was mentioned on another post regarding the carnivory of sliders). And since large bullfrogs feed on other frogs, they would probably end up being the only frogs in the pond ultimately.

If our turtle poses any threat to the frogs, they would probably abandon the pond or avoid it out of instinct.
However, might there be a way to attract them to the turtle pond while minimizing the risk of predation?
Perhaps provided they have a place to hide during the day? Or flowers, tall grasses, and other plants surrounding the pond?
Most people say that bullfrogs are nocturnal, so they would probably come out when the turtle is sleeping.

Any input would be appreciated. I'm aware that invasive red-eared sliders are implicated on the ecological declines of other species.
And I wouldn't want our turtle to become like an outdoor cat, catching and killing prey for sport.

Thanks in advance! God bless!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back