• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Bird Checklist (1 Viewer)

Sorry to take such a long time to reply but I've only just noticed this post since the forum reshuffle.
List looks good Mal, only omission I can see is the Pacific Diver that was by Knaresborough in 2007.

Hi
I've recently posted the Yorkshire Checklist on my free, non-commercial website www.printablebirdchecklists.homestead.com

If anyone would like to take a look and let me know if there are any omissions, discrepancies or errors, I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Mal :t:

A quick look through, apologies if these were there but I missed them.

Omissions:
Red-flanked Bluetail
Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler
Brown Shrike
Song Sparrow

Hooded Merganser - escape
Bufflehead - accepted as a wild bird

I don't quite unserstand your escape category, some odd ones on there like Lady A's Pheasant and California Quail have no place on the Yorks list for eg.

A quick look through, apologies if these were there but I missed them.

Omissions:
Red-flanked Bluetail
Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler
Brown Shrike
Song Sparrow

Hooded Merganser - escape
Bufflehead - accepted as a wild bird

I don't quite unserstand your escape category, some odd ones on there like Lady A's Pheasant and California Quail have no place on the Yorks list for eg.

.....and Dark-throated Thrush Turdus ruficollis now treated as Red-throated Thrush Turdus ruficollis and Black-throated Thrush Turdus atrogularis of which only Black-throated has been accepted for Yorkshire.

Thanks to all that have replied. I'll get the missing species added tonight.
As to the Dark-throated Thrush; I follow Clements for taxonomy (as stated on my home page) this species has not been split (yet).
Lady Amhersts Pheasant; a bird was recorded in Yeadon, West Yorkshire on the 27/10/08, and as I can't find any record of the species being introduced, I have to assume it's an escaped bird. I'm still looking for the California Quail info.

regards

Thanks to all that have replied. I'll get the missing species added tonight.
As to the Dark-throated Thrush; I follow Clements for taxonomy (as stated on my home page) this species has not been split (yet).
Lady Amhersts Pheasant; a bird was recorded in Yeadon, West Yorkshire on the 27/10/08, and as I can't find any record of the species being introduced, I have to assume it's an escaped bird. I'm still looking for the California Quail info.
regards

Sorry didn't read your home page for your taxo notes.

By the Lady Ams example you could also add:

Silver Pheasant
Reeve's Pheasant

etc, etc (and all the numerous other cat E species documented as escapes in the county) though I'm nost sure that you'd want them as part of a 'Yorkshire List' ?

If I'm wrong then I suggest that you get hold of all the YNU reports which list these escapes as there are a large number missing from your Yorkshire List.

The idea of the checklists are not as "official lists" but a list of all birds recorded in a county or country. The lists are for anyone to use, especially so for those not familiar with the local birds.

As they are created using Excel feel free to remove / add anything that you're not happy with.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Regards

The idea of the checklists are not as "official lists" but a list of all birds recorded in a county or country. The lists are for anyone to use, especially so for those not familiar with the local birds.

As they are created using Excel feel free to remove / add anything that you're not happy with.

Regards

Mal

I will e-mail the official list to you from the YNU and you can check for any omissions
the Pacific Diver and Brown Flycatcher still await BOURC ratification I believe, and neither are yet on the British list (January 2009).

Perhaps 80 species of escapes have been recorded in Yorkshire in the last 10 years, from White-backed Vulture to Budgerigar and Red and Green Macaw, and Lady Amherst's Pheasant has no better claim to be on the Yorkshire list than any of these

Geoff

Regards

Tawny Pipit missing

Golden Pheasant "introduced" seems misleading, as no self-sustaining population, so all records are treated as escapes

As Ingsbirder suggests, I would remove all escapes from your list, as the ones included are so arbitrary and incomplete

Geoff

A

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back