• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 10x42s wanted. But which ones? (4 Viewers)

Sadly the trouble with 10x42 bino's is weight and the 725g you alluded to as on the heavy side is very much in the ball park for that size.

If you are hell bent on 10x but could consider 32mm, I would have a close look at the GPO bino's. The Passion ED 10x32's are cracking binos and with current discounts, work out around the £340 mark. The GPO 10x42's are equally good and are about £380 but do work out heavier.

I wonder if you have considered IS binoculars? Like you my wife is petite, suffers a bit from handshake and uses the Canon 10x30 II stabilised bino's. They are truly excellent and whilst only 30mm, provide a superb view and, importantly, none of the shake that can occur by the weight and magnification of 10x non-stabilised bino's.

Just a thought for consideration, they are about £450 after a bit of net searching, and I must admit that once that little magic 'on' button is pressed they provide a fantastic, rock steady, view. They weigh 670g.

It is so difficult to recommend particular bino's and as you have mentioned it is best to physically test them if at all possible. I have tried some bino's that have been highly recommended on this excellent forum and unfortunately they either did not fit my face or didn't meet my needs. We are all different!

Good luck in your search!
Thank you for your reply! I am almost set on 10x 42s, primarily because of longer distance and low lighting but if I could get something equal to (I know, probably a unicorn!) I would consider them. I'm not really bothered with IS tbh as hand shake isn't a concern, it's more of the weight when carrying them around for me. My hands are/were steady enough when I tried the Zeiss terra; but jees they felt heavy and hurt my arms after about an hour.
The GPOs are very well liked/reviewed and I absolutely love the look of them!

I think because of the appalling quality of the ones I currently have and their size of 10x32 (sorry again, no offense!) that's put me off going with, or near that size in general.

I guess what works realistically is trying them out in person. Looks like I'll be doing a bit of travelling.

Probably me being stupid, but I can't see it. There's nothing underneath your posts.
Not being stupid. Maybe its been hidden. Understandable I guess.
Just google Northern Optics in Lincolnshire. Not Northern optics and accessories as
that will get a gun dealer in Scotland

Not being stupid. Maybe its been hidden. Understandable I guess.
Just google Northern Optics in Lincolnshire. Not Northern optics and accessories as
that will get a gun dealer in Scotland
I can see the links only when logged in . If I am not logged in no links to be had .

Welcome sudynim, as dries1 recommends, if you are happy with the weight (harness/monopod?) the used swaro will outperform anything in the new price range and with legendary swaro customer service you would be very very pleased. Just realised you are looking for something lighter so take your time and try as many makes as you can….Opticron is worth looking at for value for money? Perhaps worth saying - don’t discount a bino just because of it’s weight because ergonomics and balance can make a big difference to handling.

Last edited:
Probably me being stupid, but I can't see it. There's nothing underneath your posts.
Details in my sig at the bottom of every post

@sudynim check @beacon hill signature under his post stated: Optics weekend dates: Optics weekends in Lincolnshire <---- click this link

And if you wanted the 10x42 but feels the overall weight of those binoculars are heavy for your taste, try using neck strap that comes with the bino and then bino harness and see the difference.

BS_Bino_Suspender_Transparent.png.jpg

@sudynim check @beacon hill signature under his post stated: Optics weekend dates: Optics weekends in Lincolnshire <---- click this link

And if you wanted the 10x42 but feels the overall weight of those binoculars are heavy for your taste, try using neck strap that comes with the bino and then bino harness and see the difference.

View attachment 1572906
Ok serious question... Does anyone wear one of these? Don't get me wrong, I actually think it looks nice!! But I'm asking as I've never seen anyone wearing one and would be a bit self conscious... After yesterday's outing I've noticed there is a fair bit of snobbery with some birders I've met, I felt like I didn't belong or was looked down on because I didn't have the right gear, and I'm not very knowledgeable (because I'm new!!!) it's genuinely upset me a bit tbh and put me off going to reserves.

Conversely though, I did meet a lovely guy on a river walk a week back who let me try his swaros and gave me lots of brilliant advice (thank you if you're reading this!).

Ok serious question... Does anyone wear one of these? Don't get me wrong, I actually think it looks nice!! But I'm asking as I've never seen anyone wearing one and would be a bit self conscious... After yesterday's outing I've noticed there is a fair bit of snobbery with some birders I've met, I felt like I didn't belong or was looked down on because I didn't have the right gear, and I'm not very knowledgeable (because I'm new!!!) it's genuinely upset me a bit tbh and put me off going to reserves.

Conversely though, I did meet a lovely guy on a river walk a week back who let me try his swaros and gave me lots of brilliant advice (thank you if you're reading this!).

Yes quite common in my place with this bino harness and it helps to reduced body fatigue while swapping with the neck strap.

Don't worry with what people think of you. It is your own enjoyment and even if you didn't have the right gear for birding, we will try our best to help you the get the right binoculars etc. Keep the questions coming.

Yep. They are excellent and really distribute weight as does the truly superb Rick Young Harness which is inconspicuous when worn and doesn't attract as much attention.

As for gear snobs....... true!

I class them as, 'All the gear, no idea' or ' All the clobber, still a nobber'.

I disregard them on reserves as I usually arrive wearing my lovely little GPO's to be greated by the 'look' and then get out my NL Pure's or Habichts just to see their faces!

Do, and use, exactly what suits you!

Yes quite common in my place with this bino harness and it helps to reduced body fatigue while swapping with the neck strap.

Don't worry with what people think of you. It is your own enjoyment and even if you didn't have the right gear for birding, we will try our best to help you the get the right binoculars etc. Keep the questions coming.
Have to admit, I do think it looks nice and would happily wear one!

It's hard not to worry about what other people think, when there's a group of older blokes all bragging about their binos and scopes and looking at me in disgust. I just got out of the hut and left. But I'm hoping they were/are the minority of birders.

Thank you so much! It's definitely reassuring. I'm considering the Leica trinovid hd 10x42s? Because they're considered good? (and they're the lightest out of all the higher end binos at around 730).

Though that chaps swaros were very nice lol.

Yep. They are excellent and really distribute weight as does the truly superb Rick Young Harness which is inconspicuous when worn and doesn't attract as much attention.

As for gear snobs....... true!

I class them as, 'All the gear, no idea' or ' All the clobber, still a nobber'.

I disregard them on reserves as I usually arrive wearing my lovely little GPO's to be greated by the 'look' and then get out my NL Pure's or Habichts just to see their faces!

Do, and use, exactly what suits you!
Yes had a look at that harness and will probably buy TBF. It will help me massively.
Your Habichts? Which ones? What size? How heavy? Lol. I was looking at these and they are beautiful! I absolutely adore the "look" of them, but obvs no idea what they are actually like. Would happily break budget for them, if they're suitable 😍

Lol, go you!! And yep you are right. Nobbers indeed! Sad though that they treat newbies like myself badly and put us off. Thank goodness there's some nice and knowledgeable birders though.

Yes had a look at that harness and will probably buy TBF. It will help me massively.
Your Habichts? Which ones? What size? How heavy? Lol. I was looking at these and they are beautiful! I absolutely adore the "look" of them, but obvs no idea what they are actually like. Would happily break budget for them, if they're suitable 😍

Lol, go you!! And yep you are right. Nobbers indeed! Sad though that they treat newbies like myself badly and put us off. Thank goodness there's some nice and knowledgeable birders though.
Very fortunate to have both the 8x30 and the 7x42 Habichts. They are sublime, light (ish) and provide a view that starts, everytime, with WOW!

I just love them and after a more than disappointing experience with a pair of Fujinon 16x70's last week, which are being returned, I might just get the 10x42 Habichts with the green rubber armour to complete the set. My wife begs to differ and I fear another sewing machine may be the only way to sweet talk her around!

Part of the charm of the Habicht's is, as you rightly say, the look. But beneath that gorgeous exterior is optical excellence of the highest order. Chuck in complete water/dust proof design, which does result in a relatively 'stiff' focus action, and you end up with what is arguably one of the finest pair of bino's out there. They are marmite though, you either love 'em or hate 'em.

If you are going to use your bino's predominately for bird watching then any of the Habicht's, with their stiffish focus and restricted field of view, may not be the best choice. I find them to be fine but each to their own. The 7x42 is the sweetest one IMO.

Again its the old mantra, try them if you can or purchase from someone with an excellent returns policy.

Good luck in your quest and final choice and treat the nobbers with total indifference!

Very fortunate to have both the 8x30 and the 7x42 Habichts. They are sublime, light (ish) and provide a view that starts, everytime, with WOW!

I just love them and after a more than disappointing experience with a pair of Fujinon 16x70's last week, which are being returned, I might just get the 10x42 Habichts with the green rubber armour to complete the set. My wife begs to differ and I fear another sewing machine may be the only way to sweet talk her around!

Part of the charm of the Habicht's is, as you rightly say, the look. But beneath that gorgeous exterior is optical excellence of the highest order. Chuck in complete water/dust proof design, which does result in a relatively 'stiff' focus action, and you end up with what is arguably one of the finest pair of bino's out there. They are marmite though, you either love 'em or hate 'em.

If you are going to use your bino's predominately for bird watching then any of the Habicht's, with their stiffish focus and restricted field of view, may not be the best choice. I find them to be fine but each to their own. The 7x42 is the sweetest one IMO.

Again its the old mantra, try them if you can or purchase from someone with an excellent returns policy.

Good luck in your quest and final choice and treat the nobbers with total indifference!
Thank you so much!
Yep it is the green 10x42s I was looking at. They are so beautiful. Haha, yep, think she deserves a new sewing machine tbh.

I'll have to find somewhere where I can try them!!

Have to admit, I do think it looks nice and would happily wear one!

It's hard not to worry about what other people think, when there's a group of older blokes all bragging about their binos and scopes and looking at me in disgust. I just got out of the hut and left. But I'm hoping they were/are the minority of birders.

Thank you so much! It's definitely reassuring. I'm considering the Leica trinovid hd 10x42s? Because they're considered good? (and they're the lightest out of all the higher end binos at around 730).

Though that chaps swaros were very nice lol.
This is my new favourite the 12x42 NL Pure by Swarovski Optik. Had the 8x32 and 10x42 EL for many years.

Now quite hard for me to get back to 8x and 10x after using this 12x. If you could try next time when you have the chances, let me know what do you think of it.

No idea with the Leica though because none were using here in my place...

IMG20240414175936_20240414180036-01.jpeg

This is my new favourite the 12x42 NL Pure by Swarovski Optik. Had the 8x32 and 10x42 EL for many years.

Now quite hard for me to get back to 8x and 10x after using this 12x. If you could try next time when you have the chances, let me know what do you think of it.

No idea with the Leica though because none were using here in my place...

View attachment 1572941
Wow they look very complicated! But super cool looking none the less. Would definitely try them if/when I can!!
Would love the idea of 12s but they may be even heavier thanost 10s so that'd put me off a fair bit.

Wow they look very complicated! But super cool looking none the less. Would definitely try them if/when I can!!
Would love the idea of 12s but they may be even heavier thanost 10s so that'd put me off a fair bit.

Yes at 840g. That's when the bino harness are useful for this model. But for me, I preferred neck strap and sling it across my chest with the adjustable strap when I started to feel tired on my neck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back