• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cormorant Migration...? (1 Viewer)

OK_Scissortail

Oklahoma State Bird
I was just out in my yard doing some early morning birding and suddenly from above there is a flock of Cormorants then another. I saw in the far distance more flocks so I waited..they were traveling right over my house and flying so low I could hear their wings flapping. I looked again to the South and saw even more coming..and they are still flying over my house as I type. There are thousands, not exaggerating, so wonder if they are migrating. We have a lake 5 minutes north of our farm so they may stop by there. Nothing from the South of us close by, some larger lakes south about 3 hours away. I stood out there watching all these birds fly over for about 20-25 minutes then came in to post. We have cormorants at the lake but I'm thinking these are new arrivals since so many at one time. Is it time for the cormorants in the more southern parts to start migrating?

Must have been quite a site. I cannot respond to your question...have you seen many in the past fly over, just not in numbers. I wonder if they fly over at night like many migratory birds and you have just missed it in the past...or just not been outside while they came past :)... Interesting either way...

Hmmmm. One of my references states regarding Double-crested Cormorant "spectacular coastal migrations may number in the tens of thousands. Spring migration from late March to late May, with peak in the latter half of April" (Pete Dunne's Essential Field Guide Companion). Incidentally, it states that Neotropic Cormorant (the other inland cormorant) is "basically non-migratory".

I have witnessed the spectacular coastal migration of Double-crested Cormorants in the fall. But two things seem amiss here. First, you're not along the coast. Second, this seems early for such large numbers to be migrating according to the quote. Perhaps this is some sort of pre-migration staging area? Or perhaps their migration is earlier where you are? Not sure.

Best,
Jim

Hi, I hadn't been out that early on a regular basis before this so don't know if regular thing they do or not. I don't see any reason for them to be coming from the South-Southwest since the lake is North and east of us except maybe migrating. As you mentioned there are some birds that migrate at night and rest during the day so do wonder. I have been watching in the mornings now and around 7am- 8am they are flying over my house. I don't see them after this time until next morning. I went to the lake the other day to check out how many were there. Water was up so most of them were in trees on the far side of the lake. What had me wondering was them coming from the South, in flocks, and just seen in the morning. Some are known to be here year round but others go up to Northern states to Summer. Wondered if the southern ones were migrating back to here or passing through.

The Geese are pairing up and spotting for areas to nest. I am seeing fewer ducks and what ducks I see seem to be pairing up too. The Hooded Mergansers on my pond are paired up too. Today I didn't have the flocks of birds at my feeders either. Will know more this week if they are thinking of taking off. I had fewer Harris Sparrows then normal and just fewer birds all together. Today was cold too but as we get into the latter part of the week it warms up to 75-80 degrees.

If migration is starting sure hope we don't have the lull of no birds until the Spring birds arrive.

Hmmmm. One of my references states regarding Double-crested Cormorant "spectacular coastal migrations may number in the tens of thousands. Spring migration from late March to late May, with peak in the latter half of April" (Pete Dunne's Essential Field Guide Companion). Incidentally, it states that Neotropic Cormorant (the other inland cormorant) is "basically non-migratory".

I have witnessed the spectacular coastal migration of Double-crested Cormorants in the fall. But two things seem amiss here. First, you're not along the coast. Second, this seems early for such large numbers to be migrating according to the quote. Perhaps this is some sort of pre-migration staging area? Or perhaps their migration is earlier where you are? Not sure.

Best,
Jim

I missed your post while writing mine above, sorry. Very interesting information. You may be on to something with pre-migration since early from what the book said. Then again we may be on time for where we live and weather conditions. I just never watched the cormorants close before to know. I'll keep watching and see if anything changes. If anyone else has information please feel welcome to share.

It is still a bit early for migration, after all just the 3rd of march. But you can't deny the fact they are coming. I know my feeders have been relatively empty for weeks now.

When I go east 40 miles to the Columbia and snake river delta I am seeing less and less Waterfoul. They are still there but noticeable less so I just presume all has started. Mother nature has ways of making things average out in terms of dates. This just might be an early year. So with that said...perhaps this weekend will be a good weekend for many birds as one might be surprised what is out and about early on. Glad to hear you have good weather afoot....I know our weather will not be nearly your 70 degrees, best of luck, clean the camera and get your boots out for a walk-about...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back