• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID please. (1 Viewer)

simondix

I have got these growing by the water's edge down the road. I have looked up in Roger Phillips' Wild Flowers of Britain and they could possibly be Black Poplar Hybrid. Is there anybody who could confirm this please?

Attachments

• DSCN2278.jpg
    DSCN2278.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 164
Karwin said:

Is that a species or are you being rude? Seriously though thanks a lot I presume you mean what we call Alder over here. What is it called in Finland?

Thankyou everybody for the prompt replies

Sorry if I made You feel jolly miserable - did not mean it. I've learned, besides of finnish names, the scientific ones and always forget, in this special issue, is it alder or adler in english. In finnish it is leppä. This looks like A. glutinosa - common alder.

I like the hybrid idea. After-all it's so "in vogue" at the moment. Perhaps Rhododendron X Scot's Pine? Believe me, there have been more bizarre suggestions on the forums recently......
Sorry for hijacking your thread simon, I'll leave it now for those people who actually have a clue.....

Chris

Karwin said:
Sorry if I made You feel jolly miserable - did not mean it. I've learned, besides of finnish names, the scientific ones and always forget, in this special issue, is it alder or adler in english. In finnish it is leppä. This looks like A. glutinosa - common alder.

Only joking. If you remove one letter from your first reply it becomes rude.

Thanks for the ID anyway. yes it is Alder

Simon

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back