• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best sites for bird photography in Scotland - please help (1 Viewer)

medaacek

Hello friends,

I would be very grateful for any information about good spots for bird photography in Scotland. We are going there at the beginning of June and spend there about 20 days starting in Aberdeen going north towards Orkneys, then heading along the coast west, crossing to Lewis and Uist (Outer Hebrides) and then coming back to Skye and mainland; some trips to inner Hebrides are possible too and the last stop would be the Farne Island. As there are many many places to go, it would be great to have some top-sites to not to waste precious time where the photo-opportunities are not so good.
Also a good spot for Gannets would be appreciated - there is not really a good photo-spot here in Norway.

Thanks a lot to everybody for your help!

Jiri

The short answer is - just about everywhere! For Gannets, Troup Head on the north Aberdeenshire coast between Banff and Fraserburgh, is Scotland's only mainland breeding colony. You will have the possibility of good close viewing there. Handa Island off the north west coast of Sutherland is worth a visit too for seabirds. I'm sure others will have more suggestions to make. The Farne Islands are not in Scotland ;) but will make for an exciting end to your trip. Remember to book your place on the boat, and to wear a hat on the islands! For more information about north east Scotland, there is a page on my website. Have a good trip.

PS. Fantastic site you have. I will have a longer look later.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back