• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Most misidentified birds in your area (1 Viewer)

Andrew Whitehouse

Professor of Listening
Supporter
Scotland
People obviously misidentify birds sometimes and there are some well-known species pairs or groups that are pretty hard to get right. My interest in this thread is not necessarily in general cases of hard identifications but in locally specific errors that regularly occur in particular places or regions. I think it can be revealing of how birders approach identification, particularly when they're starting out or are unfamiliar with an area.

I'm mainly a local patch birder at Girdle Ness in Aberdeen. I often bump into visiting birders and also check lists people post on sites like Ebird or Birdtrack from here. I think I have a pretty good idea of what birds are common here and in what sort of numbers, so I'm often curious when visiting birders seem to be seeing things that I don't tend to see or in numbers that seem really unusual. Of course, I might be missing stuff and they might genuinely be seeing things that are unusual, but there tend to be some species that fairly consistently get misidentified in the area. I'll go through a few of the commoner examples.

Black-throated Diver
Black-throated Diver is pretty rare here. I think it's maybe marginally commoner than White-billed Diver, but not by that much. Probably 95% of divers I see are Red-throated, and most of the remaining 5% are Great Northern. A fraction of 1% are White-billed or Black-throated. I think other local birders see them at the same kind of rate. But visiting birders often seem to see them, sometimes in quite good numbers. They're usually a bit surprised when I say how rare they are. I've lived in eastern Scotland for 26 years and, away from the Forth and Moray coasts where they seem regular, Black-throated Diver is pretty rare in my experience. I've probably seen fewer than 10 away from those core areas.

Lesser Black-backed Gull
LBBs are common residents everywhere in Britain aren't they? Well, no. In northeast Scotland, they're basically a summer visitor. At Girdle Ness between mid-October and late February, I've seen two in ten years. They're quite a bit rarer than Glaucous or Iceland Gulls, for example. But other people's lists frequently have LBBs on them during this time of year. I saw a list from Girdle Ness the other day that had a count of five. I've not seen one here since mid-September! This is maybe one of those cases where people just assume they're around and don't look too closely at the 'black-backed gulls'.

Goosander/ Red-breasted Merganser
Obviously these are quite similar species but there's a particular variant of their confusion that's common in eastern Scotland more generally. I think some birders assume that if they're anywhere near the sea, they're RBMs. But Goosander form large moulting flocks in summer and these are often around river mouths or in coastal waters. These are always getting mis-IDed as RBMs. We get a moulting flock of 50-100 at Girdle Ness in summer and every year, I'll see a list on Ebird or Birdtrack with a count of 50+ RBMs on it. We do get them here, fairly commonly, but not in those numbers.

Twite
You get Twite in Scotland don't you? Linnets in England; Twite in Scotland. That's how it works. Well, sadly Twite is no longer very common in most parts of Scotland and I haven't seen one at Girdle Ness for over a decade. Since then, I think there have only been one or two reliable records. Lots of claims though, usually in late summer when tonnes of juvenile Linnets are about.

Tree Pipit
Girdle Ness is good for migrants, so there must be good chances of Tree Pipit. Well, we do get them but they're surprisingly scarce and most records are flyovers. Quite often I'll see records online of Tree Pipits here, usually at odd times of the year. These aren't definitely wrong, but I suspect most of them are.

Purple Sandpiper
This is maybe the most locally specific one here and is a bit unusual in that it's a case of a species being much commoner than people think rather than rarer. We regularly get a roost of 200+. If you see a large flock of Calidris waders here, they will be Purps. We get other small waders too, but never in those sorts of numbers. Every year, I see reports of 200+ Dunlins though. Not a serious mistake but that would be a massive record count for here. We get Dunlin regularly, mostly as a passage migrant and usually in single figures. It's an interesting case where sometimes the bird apps don't help. Routine counts of 200+ Purple Sandpipers often get flagged as unusual by Ebird/ Birdtrack, while a similar count of Dunlin wouldn't, despite being far less likely. I sometimes wonder if that's a source for some of the misIDs. I also once saw an unusually high count of Redshanks from a visiting birder that I suspect were also Purps.

These examples aren't intended to belittle birders who may be inexperienced or are new to the area. It's mostly just to look at the local specifics of identification and some of the surprises and challenges this can throw up. I'd be interested in other examples from other areas. I'd also add that I've definitely casually misidentified things myself when travelling around, particularly in other countries.

You had me checking my LB records to see if if entered some by mistake! Totally agree with the species you’ve selected. I suspect skuas are misidentified locally too - but no more than they are misidentified everywhere else…
Think most of your Ebird LBB records during the winter come from November 2015, when at least a couple seem to have been around. One of my records is from then as well.

I thought about adding skuas, but agree that this is a more generally difficult group without locally specific elements. I guess the ones I'm choosing are mis-IDs that are grounded in misapprehensions about the status of the species in the area. It relates to something that interests me which is the burden of proof in bird ID. If people think something is common, they won't scrutinise what they're seeing very hard. If people know that, for example, BT Diver is almost as rare as White-billed or that they're more likely to see Barred Warbler than Twite then it (hopefully) changes how they think of the burden of proof and they start looking at things more carefully.

On my local patch House Sparrow is pretty uncommon, surprisingly so given we have a couple of feeding stations and the nearest village is less than 500 yards away at it's nearest point. Regulars (3+ visits a week) might see one a year; I've not seen one for about three years. However, they appear on BirdTrack lists of less regular visitors to the reserve. What are they seeing... I have no idea?
Other issues are:
Out of season Reed Warblers - we have resident Cetti's.
Ringed plover/LRP confusion both ways. Those who know we have summering LRP will assume all 'ringed plovers' are LRPs. Those that aren't aware of this will assume all 'ringed plovers' are Ringed Plovers as they see them as commoner & therefore 'more likely'.

Obviously these are quite similar species but there's a particular variant of their confusion that's common in eastern Scotland more generally. I think some birders assume that if they're anywhere near the sea, they're RBMs. But Goosander form large moulting flocks in summer and these are often around river mouths or in coastal waters. These are always getting mis-IDed as RBMs. We get a moulting flock of 50-100 at Girdle Ness in summer and every year, I'll see a list on Ebird or Birdtrack with a count of 50+ RBMs on it. We do get them here, fairly commonly, but not in those numbers.
I did exactly that on Holy Island (not so far from eastern Scotland) last summer. We do have both species where I live (Western Canada, under different names) so I ought to be able to distinguish them. But it seems like I made the same assumption. Fortunately the Northumberland eBird reviewer corrected me promptly.

In my area, noisy miners and Indian mynas are very commonly misidentified birds. They have superficially similar appearance (yellow skin around eye, black on head) and size. Their similar common names also cause confusion.

Also, rosellas and lorikeets (in general) can get mixed up by the general public, since they're both colourful parrots. But with experience, they are easily distinguished. Dusky moorhens and Eurasian coots can get mixed up, if seen at a distance. Same with Australian magpies and pied currawongs.

A few years back a nice juvenile Goshawk was reported with some regularity as a Hen Harrier at my local patch.
Reports of Grey Partridge are also weird, although I suspect hunters chuck them out every now and again. On my local patch, juvenile Pheasants (although also suspect) are far more likely.
In the immediate surroundings, the species pairs Eurasian/Short-toed Treecreeper, Willow/Marsh Tit and Goldcrest/Firecrest occur, so none of these can be readily dismissed (unlike in the province where I grew up where Marsh Tit is virtually absent, or the Dutch dunes where Willow Tit is extinct).
Taiga Bean Geese still get reported from the wider area, but these always pertain to Tundra Bean Geese with a bit more yellow on their bills.
A common error used to be calling Great White Egret "White Stork", although this is decreasing as most non-binocular carrying observers are now aware of the presence of "white herons".

Reports of Grey Partridge are also weird, although I suspect hunters chuck them out every now and again. On my local patch, juvenile Pheasants (although also suspect) are far more likely.
When I lived in Islay and worked at the Wildlife Information Centre, visitors would regularly report small parties of Corncrakes wandering about along the roads, at around the same time of year as lots of juvenile Pheasants were about.

People obviously misidentify birds sometimes and there are some well-known species pairs or groups that are pretty hard to get right. My interest in this thread is not necessarily in general cases of hard identifications but in locally specific errors that regularly occur in particular places or regions. I think it can be revealing of how birders approach identification, particularly when they're starting out or are unfamiliar with an area.

I'm mainly a local patch birder at Girdle Ness in Aberdeen. I often bump into visiting birders and also check lists people post on sites like Ebird or Birdtrack from here. I think I have a pretty good idea of what birds are common here and in what sort of numbers, so I'm often curious when visiting birders seem to be seeing things that I don't tend to see or in numbers that seem really unusual. Of course, I might be missing stuff and they might genuinely be seeing things that are unusual, but there tend to be some species that fairly consistently get misidentified in the area. I'll go through a few of the commoner examples.

Black-throated Diver
Black-throated Diver is pretty rare here. I think it's maybe marginally commoner than White-billed Diver, but not by that much. Probably 95% of divers I see are Red-throated, and most of the remaining 5% are Great Northern. A fraction of 1% are White-billed or Black-throated. I think other local birders see them at the same kind of rate. But visiting birders often seem to see them, sometimes in quite good numbers. They're usually a bit surprised when I say how rare they are. I've lived in eastern Scotland for 26 years and, away from the Forth and Moray coasts where they seem regular, Black-throated Diver is pretty rare in my experience. I've probably seen fewer than 10 away from those core areas.

Lesser Black-backed Gull
LBBs are common residents everywhere in Britain aren't they? Well, no. In northeast Scotland, they're basically a summer visitor. At Girdle Ness between mid-October and late February, I've seen two in ten years. They're quite a bit rarer than Glaucous or Iceland Gulls, for example. But other people's lists frequently have LBBs on them during this time of year. I saw a list from Girdle Ness the other day that had a count of five. I've not seen one here since mid-September! This is maybe one of those cases where people just assume they're around and don't look too closely at the 'black-backed gulls'.

Twite
You get Twite in Scotland don't you? Linnets in England; Twite in Scotland. That's how it works. Well, sadly Twite is no longer very common in most parts of Scotland and I haven't seen one at Girdle Ness for over a decade. Since then, I think there have only been one or two reliable records. Lots of claims though, usually in late summer when tonnes of juvenile Linnets are about.

Tree Pipit
Girdle Ness is good for migrants, so there must be good chances of Tree Pipit. Well, we do get them but they're surprisingly scarce and most records are flyovers. Quite often I'll see records online of Tree Pipits here, usually at odd times of the year. These aren't definitely wrong, but I suspect most of them are.

Purple Sandpiper
This is maybe the most locally specific one here and is a bit unusual in that it's a case of a species being much commoner than people think rather than rarer. We regularly get a roost of 200+. If you see a large flock of Calidris waders here, they will be Purps. We get other small waders too, but never in those sorts of numbers. Every year, I see reports of 200+ Dunlins though. Not a serious mistake but that would be a massive record count for here. We get Dunlin regularly, mostly as a passage migrant and usually in single figures. It's an interesting case where sometimes the bird apps don't help. Routine counts of 200+ Purple Sandpipers often get flagged as unusual by Ebird/ Birdtrack, while a similar count of Dunlin wouldn't, despite being far less likely. I sometimes wonder if that's a source for some of the misIDs. I also once saw an unusually high count of Redshanks from a visiting birder that I suspect were also Purps.

These examples aren't intended to belittle birders who may be inexperienced or are new to the area. It's mostly just to look at the local specifics of identification and some of the surprises and challenges this can throw up. I'd be interested in other examples from other areas. I'd also add that I've definitely casually misidentified things myself when travelling around, particularly in other countries.
Surprisingly similar here in North Wales - BT Diver very very rare yet frequently reported by visiting birders. I've done it myself as a lad on day trips from Manchester in the 80s! Since I moved here 25 years ago, I think I've had maybe 4 or 5 max, generally at passage times.
LBB Gull also completely ships out in the winter, and is often my first "Spring" migrant in Feb.
We've had the moulting Goosander/RB Merg mix-up here too.
I'll have to think if there's any others which you don't experience at Girdle Ness. 🤔🐦

Last edited:
Likewise at the Brouwersdam (the Netherlands) and Helgoland (Germany) the common diver is Red-throated, whereas second place goes to Great Northern Diver. But Arctic Diver is regularly reported by visitors (of course I have made this mistake as well in the murky past).
At least the Arctic Diver I saw at Helgoland last week (with both other species) was seen well by multiple observers.

Surprisingly similar here in North Wales - BT Diver very very rare yet frequently reported by visiting birders. I've done it myself as a lad on day trips from Manchester in the 80s! Since I moved here 25 years ago, I think I've had maybe 4 or 5 max, generally at passage times.
Another vote for this. Ferry survey results on the Irish Sea show Black-throated Divers far more often than they should on both the English and Irish sides.

One that's falling into history is Magpies on Shetland. Claimed by visiting birders regularly when they just weren't there, but now they are.

Another vote for this. Ferry survey results on the Irish Sea show Black-throated Divers far more often than they should on both the English and Irish sides.

One that's falling into history is Magpies on Shetland. Claimed by visiting birders regularly when they just weren't there, but now they are.
I'm interested to hear what you think these 'magpies' where then (assuming it wasn't something they saw en route that just got lumped into the list). What possible confusion species?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back