• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ignorant Game Keepers (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suricate

It seems the word cull is the new buzz word.
The SGA ( Scottish Gamekeepers Association ) have now called for a cull on buteo buteo.
They claim they need the right to protect their stock and livelihoods !!
More likely hoping for the same effect that befell the Red Kite.
Buzzards are little to no threat to game birds as rabbit, voles and worms are their main food source, with a little carrion.
Estimates show that there are about 120,000 adult Buzzards in the UK and it`s good to see them spreading into most counties.

Suricate

Suricate said:
Buzzards are little to no threat to game birds as rabbit, voles and worms are their main food source, with a little carrion.
Estimates show that there are about 120,000 adult Buzzards in the UK and it`s good to see them spreading into most counties.
Hear, hear. I see absolutely no justification for this call for a cull.

Suricate said:
The SGA ( Scottish Gamekeepers Association ) have now called for a cull on buteo buteo.
Suricate

Gamekeepers really do come in for a lot of stick, and if some of them are pushing for a cull on Buzzard numbers, quite rightly so.
In the defence of some of them though I have to say that without the restriction of public access into pheasant rearing woods in South West Lancashire and Merseyside, as well as the relaxed attitude of allowing them to breed unmolested within these woods, we would probably not have the pleasure of seeing them rapidly expand as they have in tis part of the country.
Mature woodland really is at a premium here, and without game rearing we would probably have almost nothing left.
The land that I do most of my birding on is arable farmland which is heavily shot on. Despite this birds of prey seem to be doing pretty well. The landowner even encourages the increase of Barn Owls by leaving a 6 metre margin to fields in which they can hunt. So credit where credits due.
To balance this though I am well aware of the attitudes of others. There is an article this month in 'Birdwatch' magazine which clearly outlines the degree to which many gamekeepers still persecute raptors.

Mal

There are many farmers and Land owners that are truly interested in conservation and this must include certain Gamekeepers, but there does seem to be an increase in persecution on raptors, or at least more are being reported, but a call to cull buteos is ridiculous and just ignorance by the SGA, surely ?
Suricate

see another thread under "birds of prey found dead", most game keepers as Michael frankis rightly points out (90%, Check thread for specific details) persecute raptors in some way or another. well done if your one of the few that dont, try to encourage the others. Buzzards dont need culling, its taken years so that we have the opportunity to occassionaly see these birds, rather than have to go out specifically looking for them!

My turn to come to the defence of gamekeepers - I suspect a lot of them only persecute raptors because they are ordered to do so by their landlords.

I've heard of cases of keepers sacked, and given bad references (meaning no further employment), for failing to break the law.

Michael

Also know of another case where a sacked keeper torched his ex-landlord's moor in the middle of a drought, thereby creating a patch of superb Dotterel passage habitat for a few years . . . but I guess that's a different story!

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
My turn to come to the defence of gamekeepers - I suspect a lot of them only persecute raptors because they are ordered to do so by their landlords.

I've heard of cases of keepers sacked, and given bad references (meaning no further employment), for failing to break the law.

Michael
A very valid point which must happen in all places of employment.
It is the Scottish Game Keepers Association that has called for the cull and one committee member claims that buzzards have increased by nearly 1,000%.
He Says the SGA doesnt` want to see Buzzards wiped out ! but populations reduced to sustainable levels.
But for the benefit of whom ? As birds are not high on the menu of Buteo, the main problem with the decline of plovers and curlews is habitat loss.
Suricate

Meanwhile, in the peaceful idyl of Finnish countryside, years ago a local hunting club applied for a permit to shoot local Buteo, because there were pigs disappearing from a local farm. Permit was not granted

The very same club also proposed a rule to their hunting gounds, that birder ("or a person with binoculars, who would be suspected to be one") access should be denied. We just disturb so much the wildlife.

Karwin said:
Meanwhile, in the peaceful idyl of Finnish countryside, years ago a local hunting club applied for a permit to shoot local Buteo, because there were pigs disappearing from a local farm. Permit was not granted

The very same club also proposed a rule to their hunting gounds, that birder ("or a person with binoculars, who would be suspected to be one") access should be denied. We just disturb so much the wildlife.

Or was it really to stop birders seeing what they were actually doing ?
suricate

CJW said:
The old ones are the best, Suricate ;)
Hi CJW,
Men will confess to treason, murder, arson, false teeth and even a wig. but how many will own up to a lack of humour ?
Some of the oldies are the best.
Suricate

Reported cull on Buzzard(s) by the SGA.

Snipped

Suricate

Suricate, where does the SGA claim the above.

Just curious, as I could not find a direct link to the above claim, having went through their web site.
In response, I have sent them an e-mail

Malky @ Westhill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back