• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

tips for Pensthorpe wanted. (1 Viewer)

missalisonhamilton

Slave to photography
Visiting Pernsthorpe for the first time some time this week, which im looking forward to as i have heard its a great place to find a wide variety of species, including many varieties of butterflys which ill be keeping a keen eye open for.

But i want to make the most of my day there, so if anybody has any great tips on where to find anything note worthy, or just generous vantage points they would be greatly appreciated.

Regards and thanks,

Alison H

Visiting Pernsthorpe for the first time some time this week, which im looking forward to as i have heard its a great place to find a wide variety of species, including many varieties of butterflys which ill be keeping a keen eye open for.

But i want to make the most of my day there, so if anybody has any great tips on where to find anything note worthy, or just generous vantage points they would be greatly appreciated.

Regards and thanks,

Alison H

Hi Alison.

A few pointers. Firstly, the site is quite big, so I would recommend getting there fairly soon after opening, to make the most of your time and also to get value for money (it was about £8 adult I think). You can take a ride around parts of the site that are otherwise off limits to the public on the back of a jeep and trailer, which can be booked at the entrance desk. I did this last time I went, and it was interesting although I didn't see much extra in the way of wildlife.

The area around the courtyard is good for Turtle Doves, I saw some from the shop window last year. There is a hide looking over a scrape with no captive wildfowl on, but a telescope or strong binoculars are needed as the birds were quite distant. There is a wildflower meadow around the back of the site which I would say is the best area for butterflies, and a woodland hide with feeders for common birds. Other than that, I would recommend keeping your eyes peeled, last year I saw a Stoat run across the path and found a Grasshopper Warbler in one of the Crane enclosures, and the area is good for raptors.

Regards,
James

Thank you James, very helpful.
The tour you mentioned. the discovery tour, i was undecided about that but i think now ill just stick to walking, and maybe do the tour at a later date.
I have heard that there are many raptors there, their always good value for money i think.
Will spend an hour or more in the wildflower meadow definately as i never get bored of flutterbys, and wildflowers are always pleasing to the eye, as well as the CMOS sensor.
As for arriving early, thats my plan, in fact ill probably turn up too early knowing me :)
Most helpful James, thank you.

Alison H

Looks like Teusday 28th is the only good day, weatherwise, that we're going to have this week Alison. The thing about pensthorpe is, just because you are a 'birder' don't bypass the 'captive' wildfowl, great for storing ID pointers for retreaval when needed.

Thank you Cheersm8, been told the enclosures are worth visiting by a few people now, but as for the weather, i wrote in a blog months ago that we may have a hot year this year as opposed to the last 2 years that have been soggy, my kudos is now at a low lol awful weather, not good for wildlife or wandering around fields and such like.
I dont mind if i come away with just a few images really but more will be nice, and pensthorpe is only half an hour away so i can visit more often, as for now im off to Welney wetlands in a bit, late i know but its only 10 mins away and i gotta get out this house.

thanks Cheersm8,

Alison H

Thank you Cheersm8, been told the enclosures are worth visiting by a few people now, but as for the weather, i wrote in a blog months ago that we may have a hot year this year as opposed to the last 2 years that have been soggy, my kudos is now at a low lol awful weather, not good for wildlife or wandering around fields and such like.
I dont mind if i come away with just a few images really but more will be nice, and pensthorpe is only half an hour away so i can visit more often, as for now im off to Welney wetlands in a bit, late i know but its only 10 mins away and i gotta get out this house.

thanks Cheersm8,

Alison H

Let us know how you got on at welney when you get back. I was at the ouse washes on saturday evening and it was pretty good, lots of waders from Stockdale hide plus quite a number of ducks.

Well i arrived late as you know, so time was against me so i didnt waste my time waiting for birds to come along, just meandered along the paths and had a look at the views from the numerous hides dotted along the paths.
I saw and heard a lot of warblers, the Sedge and Reed, and saw one marsh warbler.
Lots of house martins flying around the walk way to the reserve, I did try to get shots as they flew past but after 10 minutes the warden came to kick me out lol it was 17:45 though, i had no watch or mobile on me so i had no idea id been there so long.
Saw no raptors but there were two herons on the scrape, plus the ducks and swans, didnt see any waders aside from moorhen.
Disapointed about the lack of butterflies, i found more butterflies beside the drain at welney itself, and i only walked a few hundred yards.
The warden did tell me that they often see grass snakes near the pond beside the carpark, im not sure if that was true or just chat to bring back the visitors, but id go again nonetheless, and soon, maybe do that canoe safari this weekend, that looks like a lot of fun and i like doing it by boat as it gets you closer to the wildlife.
One last thing, i was looking down at some freaky red fly/beetle thingy, when something large flew right by my nose, almost dropped the camera, startled, i look around to find the most massive emperor dragonfly "hawking" about.
Its wingspan must have been more than 6 inches across, and id guess it was almost 5 inches long, im not sure if thats big for that species but i have'nt seen one of that size before.
I didnt capture him unfortunatly, i did try but the blighter was way too fast for my docile reactions.
Alison H

I went to Pensthorpe yesterday, and in between the rain and hail showers saw Green Sand, 2 Common Terns and 3 Grey Heron. Didn't visit the wildflower meadows because of the rain, but the rock garden typr area had Comma, Peacock, Painted Lady, Small Tortoiseshell, Large White and Green-veined White.

The most interesting part of the trip was a pair of unringed and apparently fully winged Lady Amherst's Pheasants in the grounds. A quick search on the internet suggests a feral population of 4+ birds in the area, maybe a serial pheasant-releaser (Goldies at Sculthorpe too) in the area?!

Attachments

• Lady A crop.jpg
    Lady A crop.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 88
The most interesting part of the trip was a pair of unringed and apparently fully winged Lady Amherst's Pheasants in the grounds. A quick search on the internet suggests a feral population of 4+ birds in the area, maybe a serial pheasant-releaser (Goldies at Sculthorpe too) in the area?!

I have seen these birds there too, last summer I saw two pairs in the area one of which had two fairly well grown young. I know that they used to have some in an aviary there but I have not seen them for sometime so I assume that it is bird from Pensthorpe that have escaped.

We have relatives staying this week and, due to the Springwatch effect, they were keen to pay a visit to Pensthorpe so we went there yesterday. After sitting in stationary traffic just outside Guist for an hour, caused by a major Dog Day event there, we eventually arrived. We then hurtled round Pensthorpe at breakneck speed so I didn't get much time to look for birds. It was good to see that they are still making improvements, with the replanted wildlife garden and the conservation area.

One thing that always surprises me is the inclusion of Bearded Reedlings (sic) in one of the aviaries. Whilst it is great to see these lovely birds close up it seems odd seeing a native local species in an aviary. They seem healthy and there were youngsters present so they are breeding and (presumably) contented. There was also a notice telling visitors not worry if they saw birds between the two layers of mesh, as there were holes in it to let the birds out to get food for the young. Do the birds spend their whole lives in the aviary or do they come and go as they please to breed? I am not especially concerned about their welfare but am intrigued by their inclusion.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back