• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Boquer Valley....Mallorca? (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone

I.m off to Puerto Pollensa shortly and would like to know if there is still access through the finca to the Boquer Valley.....last time I was there it was under threat.
Does anyone know if anyone else has restarted the meetings in Hotel Pollentia since they stopped a couple of years age? They were good !!

Any other news re recent birding in Mallorca would be welcome

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

May I wish you a warm welcome to Birdforum on behalf of all the Admin, Staff and Moderators. I hope you enjoy your time with us.

I'm afraid I cannot help you with your questions but I am sure someone will be along soon who can.

Please say something about yourself in the "Say Hello" forum so we can get to know you.

Hi Trevor,
I was last there in OCT. '03 & there was still unrestricted access with the Finca owners smiling & exchanging pleasantries to courteous walkers/birders passing through. It seems that they remain tolerant as long as you don't linger immediately in front of the Finca. Sadly the orchard habitat & scrub below the Finca is being eroded by road-building & some more of the old Olives beloved of the resident Wrynecks have gone. It is still worthwhile checking the old Fig trees beyond the Finca adjacent to the dog kennels as they can hold passage warblers in number(last Spring we had Whitethroat, Orphean, Blackcap, Willow & Sardinian warblers in one tree with nearby Common & Black Redstart).
I don't think there will be any more birders meetings (none for the last few years) as sadly Graham Hearl passed away last year.

Sorry to say but Arthur Stagg passed away three days ago.
The access to Boquer is still open, hope you'll be lucky.

I was in Pollensa last May and there was no access problems at the Finca. Although we seemed to have missed the main migration the valley still yielded Elonaras, stone curlew, mamaros and blue rock thrush.

There were a pair of scops owls around the police station but I gather they have been seen in this location for years. The S'Albuferra was the best place for variety with marsh harrier, great reed warbler and purple gallinule relatively easy. A few Slender billed gulls were a big bonus. Herons nesting at the entrance to the reserve included night, squacco and cattle egrets.

I loved the boquer though as it gives you that magical feel of being in the middle of no where. Apart from the odd goat and stone wall there is little evidence of human disturbance.

I can only agree with Mikejenk & Steve G - wonderful site on a wonderfull part of the island.

If you struggle with Marmora's in the Bocquer (as many do) try nearby Cala San Vincente - from the left hand of the bays looking out to see take the small path which leads through a very small wood before following the coast roughly west.

The path quickly passes through open scrub where Marmora's are common and, with patience often very confiding. (Listen for the call, sit and wait - I guarantee that they will come to look at you!!). The area is also excellent for he commoner Blue Rock Thrush, Crag Martin whilst Audouin's Gull is regular on the bay (but not as easy as it is on the beach at Puerto de Pollenca - especially early evening after the sunbathers have left when they scavenge on the picnic remains!!).

Have a great trip.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back