• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

viewing w TSN-PZ (1 Viewer)

Engbert

I just got a Kowa 884 straight scope, with the TSN-PZ camera adapter. I have been using it with a Nikon d300 for two days, and think I am going to be pleased with it. I may even get rid of the 500mm f4 vr, but I not sure of that yet. The adapter to use it w the Lumix G1 is on a slow boat from China.

I also got the te-10z 20-60x eyepiece. But it is quite clumsy to remove the PZ to replace it with the 10z.

Does anyone have any idea of a lens which could be applied to the camera end of the PZ, so that I could just remove the camera and leave the PZ in place? That would take less time. It might also mean I would not need the 10z.

I don't know much about optics, but I would be interested to hear some ideas.

I suppose you mean a normal camera lens? Did you try holding a lens up to the PZ just to see what happens? The view may not be what you want.

Unfortunately, when using a dslr with a fieldscope there are no quick change options. In fact, you should also be using TSN-PS1 camera support under the PZ. You risk damaging the scope mount by hanging a 2lb. D300 off of it. Hairline cracks can develop and the nitrogen gas can leak out.

This issue is one reason why many will trade image quality for the utilitly of digiscoping with a compact camera and a swing-away adapter like the DA4. Sometimes it is fun to just marvel at nature's wonders instead of trying to get a shot.

cheers,
Rick

Last edited:
TSN-PZ and camera with lens is not working. Tried with Nikon d90 and 50 f1.8 - I could not get focus - all I got is very bad vigneting. :t:

Yes, if you look through the scope without the camera and you see a magnified upright image. I don't want to pt me eye right up to it, because it has to go back into the camera.

I have found out a bit more about this question. First of all, even hand holding I am getting some half decent results.

http://www.pbase.com/bertramm/image/116416691
http://www.pbase.com/bertramm/image/116355250

There is a gadget described here, but they are scarce and 360-600 dollars used. And since the image does not need to be inverted, this may be a problem. It could be that a rear lens cap with its surface replaced by a piece of plain glass is all I need. Anyway, it is an interesting project for the next month or two.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/lsc.htm

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back