• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bees invading eastern screech owl box (1 Viewer)

Susan C.

For the third year in a row the honeybees have swarmed and are starting to invade our screech owl nest box. We've 'soaped' the interior of the box but are looking for a permanent solution to this problem. We've also hung a 'bait hive', into which 'swarm lure' has been put. (We are not beekeepers). Other suggestions have been an insecticidal strip, tested by UC Davis (found on a bluebird website), which we'll probably try to obtain as soon as possible. Last year we lost a clutch of 6 eggs to the bees; professional removal of the nest box filled with the swarm and their hive was expensive. Input from folks having actual experience in this matter would be helpful. We love our owl buddies, who've been with us since 1999. Thanks.

Hi Susan and welcome to the forum. I do hope you can get this problem sorted out - we'd be devastated if we had this sort of thing happening in our bluetit boxes! This is our fourth year of watching them, and things are looking good - so far!

Hi Susan,let me wish you a warm welcome from the Moderators and Admin of Birdforum and I hope you enjoy visiting our site.
I'm sure you'll receive some advice on your problem with the bees before long and meanwhile,some new Members like to introduce themselves in the ''Say Hi' forum.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back