• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

do barred owl and screech owls get along? (2 Viewers)

DougL

United States
We have resident barred owls that nest nearby in our riparian habitat (Central Texas). Wonderful. I wanted to put up a box for them, but realized that I'd need a truck and a crane to do it. Barred owl boxes are ENORMOUS. Sigh. But a neighbor down the street has a screech owl box, which is more compact and manageable, and it works wonderfully. They have screech owls resident there. I'd very much like to put one up. But the question is whether the two kind of owls tolerate each other. Is this an issue? What kind of pests do screech owls NOT like? We have lots of squirrels, but I'd put the box up in such a way as to prevent squirrels from invading. (I'm sort of an expert at that for our feeders.)

Well, there is no lack of other birds for these barred owls to get, as well as rodents aplenty. So I guess the question is whether they PREFER screech owls. Do people have successful screech boxes in areas with barred owls?

I have identified THIS interesting paper which seems to suggest that while predation may occur, screech owls may figure out a way to deal with it. In this area, screech owls and barred owls certainly coexist.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back