• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rhodes (1 Viewer)

tupelo080135

Birding is a way of life
I was looking forward to a quiet week away from the hassles of everyday life. My wife had booked a trip to Rhodes for us and I was excited about going to a new destination. I got out the lap top and typed in “ Birds in Rhodes “. I was disappointed to see allot of bad reports about Rhodes and the lack of birds found there. I decided to leave the scope and go Bins only. After promising the wife that this was not a birding holiday we headed of to IXIA in Rhodes. This small town is ten minutes from Rhodes and is on the coast.
Day 1. I asked the wife if she would like a nice walk into Rhodes and suggested I take my bins with me just in case. After about five minutes searching the sea we crossed to the greener side of the road and right away you see the Hoodies. The Hooded Crow is very common here and everywhere you look along the beach or hills they are everywhere. These Hoodies look so different from our Hoodies at home. They are bulkier and have allot more silvery grey on them. We came across a small field where Egg plants were growing. Yellow Wagtails in good numbers and a Black Headed Wagtail was great. I watched these wagtails for some time and then my wife pointed out a bird in the bushes beside us. The Red backed Shrike was so close I could have taken a photo with my phone. Also in the field we found Short toed Lark, Sardinian Warbler, House Sparrow and Spotted Flycatcher. On the other side of the road Yellow legged Gulls were passing by , most of them immature birds. We walked on and spotted four Woodchat Shrikes on route to Rhodes.
As we entered Rhodes more Yellow legged Gulls and also lots of Collard Doves were appearing. I spotted a Tern a bit out and waited for what seemed ages for the bird to come closer. Finally I could get a look at it without the sun in my eyes. It was a Gull billed Tern. All along the walls at sea front Yellow Wagtails were darting back and forward. We searched this area for a while but the wife was getting bored so we headed to the shops and a end to my first day. It is worth walking to the end where a bright yellow building stands. Search the area around it as there were allot of fresh arrivals showing up here.
Day 2. Up early while the wife is asleep and around the hotel were Crag Martins in good numbers. I searched the hotel grounds and found a warbler. I could not see it but after waiting and watching it could be identified as a Icterine Warbler. Good start I thought but I kept going. Swifts were circling high and I searched through them for something different but all common same old Swifts. A falcon flying over was a Lesser Kestrel and not long after a few Ravens appeared on the hill tops. Along now to a waste area and right away birds singing in the bushes had me searching like a madman. Woodchat Shrikes were easily seen and then warblers all over the place calling here and there. A Orphean Warbler and a Sardinian Warbler , then Lesser Whitethroat then Olivaceous Warbler. I was being spoiled for choice. Yellow Wagtails calling as they flew over head. Wow I nearly forgot the time and rushed back to hotel just in time for the wife getting up.
My wife said that we would be sunbathing today and chilling as opposed to birding. Well what can you do, I got my towel and headed off.( with the bins ). A day basking in the sun produced Red rumped Swallow , Blue Tit and a Long legged Buzzard high above. Back at the hotel I took a moment on the balcony and looked out to the sea. Beautiful but bird less. When all of a sudden a Whiskered Tern flew through, and then another. I got dressed and we headed into town for a few drinks. On the way in it was almost dark but Hoddies were flying above us heading to roost. I stopped and counted 400 plus before I could see no more.
Day 3. Walk to Rhodes old town. Stop of at the egg plant field again. Short toed Lark was first thing spotted then Red backed Shrike again. Over the top of the hill a Buzzard flew towards me and then a Kestrel. The hills were alive with Sardinian Warblers and then a few Wheatears. Lizards were quite common also and some about 9 inches long. Don’t know what kind they were but very scaly. Just entering Rhodes and Red rumped Swallows were flying through. Up towards Rhodes castle and a few Spotted Flycatchers on route. A walk through the castle and out the other side into a small wooded area. This was full of Olivaceous Warblers, Blue Tit, Orphean Warbler . House Sparrows again everywhere. Spotted Flycatchers are very common here. A walk down to the beach and a single Cattle Egret flying across harbour area. Nothing much to note here or on the way back.
Day 4. I hired a quad and we headed off towards Lindos. What a great choice it was. On route Long legged Buzzards and a Short toed Eagle. About half way between Rhodes and Lindos I took a sign for Old International Road and it was a great move. Short toed Larks in the fields with Whinchat and Wheatear. On the wire Woodchat Shrike and then a Roller were spotted and then we found another on the wires. Further on and 24 Beeeaters flew over head and kept going. Tawny Pipit and Crested Lark were in the fields with Jays flying around in between the bushes. A single Eleanora’s Falcon flew through as did a Peregrine. Lots of Buzzards and Ravens in the hills. Black headed Bunting on the wires was a great sight. All above were Buzzards and Larks calling and Warblers everywhere.
Arrived at Lindos and just before the road takes a sharp left down to the beach I heard a call I was not sure about and so I followed it. A Rock Thrush was calling from the roof of a house and then a few more showed up. A Black eared Wheatear showed well as did a great Red backed Shrike adult. Crested Lark were in good numbers all over the place and whilst walking about checking the bushes I flushed a Scops Owl which flew off and landed nearby obviously not happy at being woke up. In the scrub around me a Warbler I could not identify at once and so out with the book. After great views I identified it as a male SUBALPINE WARBLER. This great looking bird I have only seen once before and I stayed with it for ten minutes or so. With a Chiffchaff calling I headed back to the torture of the beach. Down at the beach the skies above were full of Swifts and Crag Martins. Pallid Swift and Little Swift were picked out of the huge swarm. Then a Bonelli’s Eagle flying slowly through the hill side of the beach area. After six hours sun bathing we headed back and on road back a Wood Pidgeon a Wren and a Black Kite added to the list. Under a tree I spotted some movement and after doing a very illegal turn we came across 11 Chukar sitting in the shade. Barn Swallow and Alpine Swift added through the day. I managed to see two species of Lizard but don’t know what they were also at least eight different species of butterflies. Also one spe#cies of Turtle. Along the way Great Tit and what I thought to be a Penduline Tit. I only got a quick flash but I have watched these birds in Bulgaria and my first instinct was this. I headed back along the same road and then it happened. The one bird I wanted to see again, I was so excited to see a Masked Shrike. It sat high on a wire and did not care about my presence at all. Also added were Chaffinch, Linnet, Goldfinch and Greenfinch. The only other bird to add was a Serin which I found near the fields at the hotel.
Nothing else added as I got such a telling off for bringing my bins on holiday that I decided to call it a day. All in all quite good and not the dead Island everyone had told me it was.

Some cracking birds indeed! What dates were you there? I am going next summer end of august but have read varying reports.

Nothing else added as I got such a telling off for bringing my bins on holiday that I decided to call it a day. All in all quite good and not the dead Island everyone had told me it was.

I expect it is a bit quiet in July/August but I was there in May some years ago and had a ball. Marsh Sandpiper, Purple Heron, Glossy Ibis, Eleanoras Falcon, Red-footed Falcon, Audouin's Gull, Roller, Rufous Bush-chat, Orphean Warbler, etc. Oh, and the 6th Demoiselle Crane for Greece ;)

I was looking forward to a quiet week away from the hassles of everyday life. My wife had booked a trip to Rhodes for us and I was excited about going to a new destination. I got out the lap top and typed in “ Birds in Rhodes “. I was disappointed to see allot of bad reports about Rhodes and the lack of birds found there. I decided to leave the scope and go Bins only. After promising the wife that this was not a birding holiday we headed of to IXIA in Rhodes. This small town is ten minutes from Rhodes and is on the coast.
Day 1. I asked the wife if she would like a nice walk into Rhodes and suggested I take my bins with me just in case. After about five minutes searching the sea we crossed to the greener side of the road and right away you see the Hoodies. The Hooded Crow is very common here and everywhere you look along the beach or hills they are everywhere. These Hoodies look so different from our Hoodies at home. They are bulkier and have allot more silvery grey on them. We came across a small field where Egg plants were growing. Yellow Wagtails in good numbers and a Black Headed Wagtail was great. I watched these wagtails for some time and then my wife pointed out a bird in the bushes beside us. The Red backed Shrike was so close I could have taken a photo with my phone. Also in the field we found Short toed Lark, Sardinian Warbler, House Sparrow and Spotted Flycatcher. On the other side of the road Yellow legged Gulls were passing by , most of them immature birds. We walked on and spotted four Woodchat Shrikes on route to Rhodes.
As we entered Rhodes more Yellow legged Gulls and also lots of Collard Doves were appearing. I spotted a Tern a bit out and waited for what seemed ages for the bird to come closer. Finally I could get a look at it without the sun in my eyes. It was a Gull billed Tern. All along the walls at sea front Yellow Wagtails were darting back and forward. We searched this area for a while but the wife was getting bored so we headed to the shops and a end to my first day. It is worth walking to the end where a bright yellow building stands. Search the area around it as there were allot of fresh arrivals showing up here.
Day 2. Up early while the wife is asleep and around the hotel were Crag Martins in good numbers. I searched the hotel grounds and found a warbler. I could not see it but after waiting and watching it could be identified as a Icterine Warbler. Good start I thought but I kept going. Swifts were circling high and I searched through them for something different but all common same old Swifts. A falcon flying over was a Lesser Kestrel and not long after a few Ravens appeared on the hill tops. Along now to a waste area and right away birds singing in the bushes had me searching like a madman. Woodchat Shrikes were easily seen and then warblers all over the place calling here and there. A Orphean Warbler and a Sardinian Warbler , then Lesser Whitethroat then Olivaceous Warbler. I was being spoiled for choice. Yellow Wagtails calling as they flew over head. Wow I nearly forgot the time and rushed back to hotel just in time for the wife getting up.
My wife said that we would be sunbathing today and chilling as opposed to birding. Well what can you do, I got my towel and headed off.( with the bins ). A day basking in the sun produced Red rumped Swallow , Blue Tit and a Long legged Buzzard high above. Back at the hotel I took a moment on the balcony and looked out to the sea. Beautiful but bird less. When all of a sudden a Whiskered Tern flew through, and then another. I got dressed and we headed into town for a few drinks. On the way in it was almost dark but Hoddies were flying above us heading to roost. I stopped and counted 400 plus before I could see no more.
Day 3. Walk to Rhodes old town. Stop of at the egg plant field again. Short toed Lark was first thing spotted then Red backed Shrike again. Over the top of the hill a Buzzard flew towards me and then a Kestrel. The hills were alive with Sardinian Warblers and then a few Wheatears. Lizards were quite common also and some about 9 inches long. Don’t know what kind they were but very scaly. Just entering Rhodes and Red rumped Swallows were flying through. Up towards Rhodes castle and a few Spotted Flycatchers on route. A walk through the castle and out the other side into a small wooded area. This was full of Olivaceous Warblers, Blue Tit, Orphean Warbler . House Sparrows again everywhere. Spotted Flycatchers are very common here. A walk down to the beach and a single Cattle Egret flying across harbour area. Nothing much to note here or on the way back.
Day 4. I hired a quad and we headed off towards Lindos. What a great choice it was. On route Long legged Buzzards and a Short toed Eagle. About half way between Rhodes and Lindos I took a sign for Old International Road and it was a great move. Short toed Larks in the fields with Whinchat and Wheatear. On the wire Woodchat Shrike and then a Roller were spotted and then we found another on the wires. Further on and 24 Beeeaters flew over head and kept going. Tawny Pipit and Crested Lark were in the fields with Jays flying around in between the bushes. A single Eleanora’s Falcon flew through as did a Peregrine. Lots of Buzzards and Ravens in the hills. Black headed Bunting on the wires was a great sight. All above were Buzzards and Larks calling and Warblers everywhere.
Arrived at Lindos and just before the road takes a sharp left down to the beach I heard a call I was not sure about and so I followed it. A Rock Thrush was calling from the roof of a house and then a few more showed up. A Black eared Wheatear showed well as did a great Red backed Shrike adult. Crested Lark were in good numbers all over the place and whilst walking about checking the bushes I flushed a Scops Owl which flew off and landed nearby obviously not happy at being woke up. In the scrub around me a Warbler I could not identify at once and so out with the book. After great views I identified it as a male SUBALPINE WARBLER. This great looking bird I have only seen once before and I stayed with it for ten minutes or so. With a Chiffchaff calling I headed back to the torture of the beach. Down at the beach the skies above were full of Swifts and Crag Martins. Pallid Swift and Little Swift were picked out of the huge swarm. Then a Bonelli’s Eagle flying slowly through the hill side of the beach area. After six hours sun bathing we headed back and on road back a Wood Pidgeon a Wren and a Black Kite added to the list. Under a tree I spotted some movement and after doing a very illegal turn we came across 11 Chukar sitting in the shade. Barn Swallow and Alpine Swift added through the day. I managed to see two species of Lizard but don’t know what they were also at least eight different species of butterflies. Also one spe#cies of Turtle. Along the way Great Tit and what I thought to be a Penduline Tit. I only got a quick flash but I have watched these birds in Bulgaria and my first instinct was this. I headed back along the same road and then it happened. The one bird I wanted to see again, I was so excited to see a Masked Shrike. It sat high on a wire and did not care about my presence at all. Also added were Chaffinch, Linnet, Goldfinch and Greenfinch. The only other bird to add was a Serin which I found near the fields at the hotel.
Thanks for this (old now) report, really interesting and useful. I'm heading to Ixia, Rhodes in September and will squeeze in as much birding as I can before upsetting my wife and the rest of our group! I'd love to find a guide who could do a whole day, but haven't found anyone yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back