• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Kites at Harewood (1 Viewer)

Phil Owen

Does anybody know the best place exactly to see the Red Kites around the Harewood Estate area at this time of the year???

Thanks

I usually see a few around Weardley - head west off the A61 Harewood to Harrogate road onto the A659 Pool/Otley road, and after a mile turn left onto the road into Weardley, signposted Alwoodley, I think. Drive though the hamlet, and park in the next turning on the left, where another road comes in from the right. Map here http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...0&sv=weardley&st=3&tl=Map+of+Weardley,+Leeds+[City/Town/Village]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf .

Anywhere along the ridge towards Pool is good for raptors - I often see Common Buzzards around here, and followed a Merlin in my car along one of the minor roads for about a mile last January.

Had 2 red kites from the car as I was driving up the A1(M) on boxing day - Awesome!

One was near to the turn off for Harewood House and the other was a bit further up near to Wetherby Race COurse.

Spotted a random Red Kite flying amongst a collection of gulls looking on the Leeds ring road - in the Seacroft area (specifically near the traffic lights on Ramshead Approach / near the Ambulance Station) - soared just above the flapping gulls for about 20 minutes or so.

Totally captivating is all i can say.

The bird by the ambulance station is a regular there, I see it most Wednesdays on my day off. I go past the area too early and late to see it on workdays at this time of year.

I am itching to see the red kites, is it best to go into the grounds of harewood house to see them?

i have driven along the road which passes the main entrance to harewood twice in my life coming from leeds heading north, i have seen a red kite twice, so the chances are pretty good of seing one.

then again if you fancy shelling out a few quid to go into the place as we did on saturday you should see loads. first one as we were parking in the carpark. and the exotics collection is quite nice if you like that sort of thing.

couple of species of crane, ostritch, snowy and eagle owls, bar headed, rosses and egyptian goose. a few species of laughing thrush, lots of different pheasant species, jungle fowl, bali starling, some parot species and very close views of grey heron. plus one chick in a nest at the mo.
and the grounds have plenty of native species in them too.
we found a rookery, jackdaw nests, blue tit nests,
1 tree creeper, a nuthatch and a gold crest were the native highlights other than the 20 or so kites we saw on the day.

i have a 300mm lense, at times the kites flew over our heads too close to get pics of them.

Thanks Alan i'll give that a try, perhaps this weekend.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...53.89769532,-1.54882867,368.51,-0.001,4.289,0

Is it just a lay-by along weardley rd? And where do you walk to?

I guarantee that if you drive through Weardley from the Harewood direction, turn sharp left at the beginning of Eccup Lane, and park you will see kites. Another good place is Bedlam Lane - going from the north end, you can park opposite a gateway where it turns to the right, and walk into the field. The kites soar off the ridge to the south, and seem curious about humans, so they probably will come and see what you are up to.

They are a common sight in East Leeds also, they've (pair) flown low over the garden while I was filling the feeders. Five with a buzzard close to Garforth golf course and the odd one can appear anywhere.

I guarantee that if you drive through Weardley from the Harewood direction, turn sharp left at the beginning of Eccup Lane, and park you will see kites. Another good place is Bedlam Lane - going from the north end, you can park opposite a gateway where it turns to the right, and walk into the field. The kites soar off the ridge to the south, and seem curious about humans, so they probably will come and see what you are up to.

great, thanks for that, sounds great about them being curious, might go here then have a trip to harewood house in the same day, the poster above sells it well with all the birds sighted!

I know this is off topic but has anyone else seen the kestrel by jct 27 of m62? Seems to soar above the field between the drighlington bypass and the m62, I was quite shocked to see it there as I was driving home the other day.

Absolutely memorable morning spent in the company of a DOZEN red kites near Harewood. I kept pinching myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming! Not only were they spectacular in flight, but also came down to where 3 tractors were ploughing a huge field so they could pick up the worms that were being brought up to the surface. Just unbelievable. I filled 2 memory cards on my camera (12 GB in all) and am hoping I'll have got some good shots. Some of the flight shots, the kites were too close for my zoom lens and completely filled the frame!!! A day I'll never forget . . . who needs Gigrin Farm?
Tom

Absolutely memorable morning spent in the company of a DOZEN red kites near Harewood. I kept pinching myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming! Not only were they spectacular in flight, but also came down to where 3 tractors were ploughing a huge field so they could pick up the worms that were being brought up to the surface. Just unbelievable. I filled 2 memory cards on my camera (12 GB in all) and am hoping I'll have got some good shots. Some of the flight shots, the kites were too close for my zoom lens and completely filled the frame!!! A day I'll never forget . . . who needs Gigrin Farm?
Tom

did you go to the spot alan was talking about? Im heading over on sat/sun really hoping for the same experience!

Andy,
Having just read Alan's earlier post I think the answer to your question is 'Yes' - although I approached from the Pool/Arthington side, heading TOWARDS Harewood. I turned right at the first sign for Weardley, and drove on for about a mile. After some buildings on the right there is a green field, then you come to a junction. The ploughed field is just across the road from here - you can't miss it. The kites came and went all morning, some times there were none, other times there were 12. Good luck, and let me know how you get on.
Regards,
Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back