• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendations: Brownsville, TX area (1 Viewer)

raulqc

I have a business trip schedule for Tuesday, 11/17/2009 to the Brownsville area. I was in the area two weeks ago, I had the chance to visit Laguna Atascosa NWR... and it was awesome. I only have one day for birding. Any suggestions? I don't mind driving couple hours... I was looking at Santa Ana NWR or Bentsen Park...

I will appreciate any recommendations,
Raul

I'm in Texas right now and I've been to both Santa Ana and Bentsen a couple of times in the last 10 days. You can't go wrong at either location. The Green Jays and Plain Chachalacas are more abundant in Bentsen if that's what you're after and it has pretty good blinds but Masked Duck and Hook-billed Kite have been seen this week in Santa Ana and it has a little bit more habitat diversity. You could flip a coin and be happy with either choice.

Thanks for the recommendation, I am not sure yet where to go. I got a couple shots of the green jay and the chachalaca at Laguna Atascosa. I looking for biggest bird diversity... maybe Santa Ana.

Thanks again, Raul

Trip update:

Santa Ana is an amazing place, got a glimpse of the Hook-billed kite. Also got couple ringed kingfisher, white-faced ibis, american wigeon, ringed-neck duck, redhead, northern harrier, and great kiskadee.

Bentsen Park is also nice, but I am not big on hides and feeders... call me crazy but I like the challenge, the highlight at Bentsen park was an Altamira Oriole.

Saludos, Raul

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back