• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendations for Cyprus (1 Viewer)

MrWilson

Norway
Hi. I have to follow my son to a training camp in Cyprus in a few days, and I’ll be spending a week there (yeah I know – hard life J ). He is a sporting clay athlete, and although much of the time will be spent on the shooting range near Limassol, I’ll probably have some time to do a bit of birding in between the schedule. Does anyone have recommendations for good birding areas I can visit? I’ll stay in the Limassol area, but I’ll have a car and can get around a bit. I know of the Akrotiri peninsula, but I’d appreciate if anyone can give me tips about other good areas I can reach with a car in a few hours drive from Limassol. I’m especially interested in information about areas where the Cyprus scoops owl could be found.

I can't help with any Owl sites but would recommend visits to Paphos Archaeological Site & Cape Greco for migrants. Troodos village is a nice trip out for the endemic subspecies. With Akrotiri the areas around Lady Mile beach & Pasouri Reedbeds were very productive when we were there a couple of weeks ago. Along the coast the stunning Kensington Cliffs had Griffon Vultures (Park at 34.6720,32.8462). For sites we used Finding birds in Southern Cyprus by Dave Gosney, might be worth you picking up a copy for other sites...

Currently a Hume's (Leaf) Warbler at the Paphos site and a Didric (other spellings are available) Cuckoo at Paralimni Lake. Opposite directions from Limassol so would have to be different days if they are still there.
Somebody started a Whatsapp group aimed at UK visitors birding Cyprus this spring so it would be good for you to join that.

Currently a Hume's (Leaf) Warbler at the Paphos site and a Didric (other spellings are available) Cuckoo at Paralimni Lake. Opposite directions from Limassol so would have to be different days if they are still there.
Somebody started a Whatsapp group aimed at UK visitors birding Cyprus this spring so it would be good for you to join that.
Thank you for the information Steve and Mike. I'll definitly check out Cape Greco, and hopefully find that Didrik cuckoo at the same time. That would be a great bird to see. Do you have more information about the cockoo Steve? Is it still there and is it stable in one area near the lake? If so, any directions to where the chanses are best to find it?

As mentioned there is an active information site, both WhatsApp and Facebook. Contact Jane Stylianou, the Cypriot Bird Recorder and very keen and knowledgeable birder for details. Germasoia Dam is a favourite haunt of mine and Scops can be found in the areas and all the villages around there, Akountra in particular.
Mandria is the go to area for Paphos based birders and you should bump into someone at " Larks Corner "......just past the little beach picnic area - don't ignore the hollow / dip.
Have fun.

Unless it has moved in the last week the Cuckoo was in the bushes surrounding a large graffiti covered empty building. coordinates 35.0431670, 33.9731790.

There is also a female Menetries Warbler very close by the Diederik Cuckoo, just around here: 35.043, 33.973

I think up to yesterday the Cuckoo was sporadically been seen at Oroklini lake from the car park ideally situated off the A3 dual carriageway just north of Larnaca.

But it’s very elusive.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back