• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron UDCA (1 Viewer)

T0ny

Okillre Member
Having followed a link from Bo's 'Fatbirder' site, I've discovered that Opticron make an adaptor to attach a digital camera / camcorder to a scope for Digiscoping. Has anyone used it, have any knowledge of it, any opinion of it or any warnings about it ? It's under £100, which is a lot cheaper than any of the alternatives I have seen, but I don't want to buy it if spending more would give better results.

Many thanks

Tony

Hi Tony, I haven't personally tried it..but it's a different approach to the conventional 'tube' type adapters that slip over the eyepiece.
I think the Opticron system allows the camera to be swung away from the eyepiece for conventional viewing, then swung back to take the shot. As the camera isn't physically attached to the eyepiece, zoom e.p's can be used easily.
It's an approach favoured by some, but it does appear bulky and awkward. I think the Manfrotto version is a similar concept.
I'm not sure how it is for carrying around in the field with camera attached?
Conventional digiscope adapters vary in price, but should be less than £80.
Regards,
Andy B

Hi Andy many thanks for the rapid response. I've asked Opticron for further details, so I'll wait for those until making up my mind (a subwoofer is higher up the purchase chain, anyway !).

Cheers

Tony

Tony,

Like you i have an Opticron Scope and purchased the Opticron adapter after some pretty awful advice from a leading high street chain, the adapter is useless, it is far to messy cumbersome to put together each time, i went through eagleeye (www.eagleeyeuk.com) they were just brilliant, they have supplied a tube and it is a lot better than Opticrons Mecano set.

Good luck

Kingfisher

Please, everyone, do not buy this adapter. As Kingfisher says, it's cumbersome and awful to use.

I tried one at an inFocus optics day at Potteric Carr a few months ago. I was with a digiscoping acquaintance and neither of us could make head or tail of it.

I get on better with the LCE adapter than the EagleEye UK one.

Diane.

This what we had to use in the early days of digiscoping, bit of aluminium carpet threshold and electrical tape (and a prayer). Opticron adapter is absolute luxury in comparison 3:)
Andy

Attachments

• oldadapter.jpg
    oldadapter.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 487
Thanks one and all for preventing me wasting my money - I'll check out the In Focus one next time I'm down their way, or save up for the Nikon and adapter set (my current digicam is Canon, with external zoom and no filter thread !)

Tony

I agree with all the comments made about the Opticron adapter.I bought one on 14 days approval after being assured that it was suitable to attach my Canon camcorder to my Opticron scope fitted with a zoom lens.Absolutely useless- very shaky attachment and I was always afraid something was going to fall off (particularly my camcorder).Due credit though to In Focus who refunded in full with no argument.

I'm a little bit baffled at the moment. I have an Opticron ES80 scope with a Olympus C3030 digicam. I had thought that the Opticron adapter would be fine as the 3030 is the one they use on their website to illustrate the adapter but after reading this thread I ain't too sure. I think I might try it out at my local In-focus. If that's no good, what's reccomended at about he same price?
Aitch

Aitch said:
I'm a little bit baffled at the moment. I have an Opticron ES80 scope with a Olympus C3030 digicam. I had thought that the Opticron adapter would be fine as the 3030 is the one they use on their website to illustrate the adapter but after reading this thread I ain't too sure. I think I might try it out at my local In-focus. If that's no good, what's reccomended at about he same price?
Aitch

Ultimately, the Opicron adapter does work and does the job of putting your camera lens up against the scope's eyepiece.... it's just that it's not really practical for the average birder.

Most digiscopers use an adapter tube device that is attached to your camera's lens and then slips over the eyepiece, you then tighten a screw to lock the camera+adapter to the eypiece.

To use one of these adapters (eagle eye Digimount or L.C.E. digiscoping adapter) you would need to purchase the Olympus accessory (CLA-4?) to give you a filter thread in front of the camera lens to attach a tube type adapter.
Andy

I'm about to order the adapter from SRB Film Service. It works in a similar fashion to the Opticron one where a ring attaches round the scope eyepiece and there is a bracket to rest the camera on which swings away when required.

I'll let you know how it goes - it's returnable if it doesn't work. If anyone is interested to take a look the website is:
http://www.srbfilm.co.uk/index1.html - click on 'View the Adaptor Pricelist' then go to page 11.

I have changed cameras to the Canon G3 which does not have an adaptor thread, although I have ordered a thread adapter tube to fit on my EagleEye x5 zoom lens.

Having first said that the Opticron adapter looked and felt awkward, I have since seen it in use and it didn't look too bad. Once it's set up it appears to be OK. Might give it a try if the SRB one doesn't work.

Had some good dealings with SRB. Very helpful people. I've also got a lot of time for in-focus. The staff at Martin Mere are very patient and wouldn't, I think, give duff advice. And they let me try their stuff for ages before I buy. I think I'll give Opticron's adapter a go but make sure it's what I want before I do. There's no rush and I've heard good things about Opticron's 12.5x eye piece so I'll try 'em both together. (I ain't got used to the Eagle Eye 5x, yet so there's time.)
Thanks all.
Aitch

Looks the same as the one I've ordered - the Ultra Deluxe one. See the SRB link in my previous thread. It's cheaper at SRB as well, including the postage, which is only £2.50 as opposed to £7 odd at Warehouse Express .

It should have arrived today, but I hope it will be coming tomorrow as I paid for the first class delivery.

I'll let you know how it goes. It is returnable if you're not happy with it.

SRB adapter arrived today and I had a little play, albeit through the dining room window.

It appears to perform well, despite the hour it took to set it up so that the camera lens lined up with the scope eyepiece. Now it goes on and is ready to shoot pictures within 30 seconds. I have uploaded a photo of the scope and adapter into the Gallery.

I managed quite a few shots that turned out OK, also taking some with the little remote control device that was included with the camera. There was a bit of lag, but I did get some decent ones using it.

The lens thread adapter tube also arrived today from the US so I will be trying that with my EagleEye 5x zoom tomorrow.

I am very pleased that I decided to change cameras. I think the photos taken today are a good start - certainly better than the efforts of a whole year with the 995.

Diane, that`s an interesting point you make about poor shots with the cp995,I use the ES80 with it & have had no problems perhaps you had a faulty camera?

I have mentioned it here, and to other people when out digiscoping, that I suspected all along that the camera was not focusing correctly.

After reading on the Yahoo digiscoping newsgroup that others were having trouble with focusing and sending their cameras back to Nikon for testing, I did the same just before the warranty ran out. It came back no better. It just struggled very hard to find some point to focus on. I never found out if the other people had any better luck from the service department in America.

Just before I bought the new camera I was out at a local reserve and standing next to a bloke who was getting pin-sharp photos hand-holding a Canon G2 to the scope. He said that he'd seen someone else earlier, with exactly the same equipment, having the same trouble focusing.

The camera on that day hunted and hunted to focus on a stationary gull and then finished with the screen being totally blurred - before I even took the photo.

A couple of weeks before that another birder in the same hide had a cheapo Canon digi camera and the Opticron adapter and he was getting some fantastic shots. He held his camera to my scope and the resulting photo was pin sharp - so I knew it wasn't the scope that was at fault.

I had a LCE adapter, sturdy tripod, cable release, tried all the settings know to man that people had recommended - all to no avail. I did have some decent shots, I will admit. I don't quite know how, as later on the same settings would produce nothing but rubbish. But to say I'd been at it for a whole year, it was not what I was expecting. I should have been getting a lot more decent shots than I did.

I now have a bit more faith and shall be out this weekend, weather permitting, snapping at everything that stands in my path!

Opticron adapter versus Eagle eye Zoom

Like most of you above I have tried the Opticron adapter onto my HR 66 and then using it with a Panasonic DS77 camcorder. It does eventually work but it is such a lot of faffing about to set up. I am wondering if any one can tell me if the Eagle Eye 5* zoom adapter which screws directly onto the front of the camcorder (with an adapter ring) would give passable results but be much quicker to set up. I apologise if I am on the wrong forum but I am a new boy (old man actually!) on the block.:-C

Geoff,
I've had some good results with the EE5x and my Oly c3030. And some bad ones. The bad ones can be attributed to my lack of expertise. Obiously the magnification is nowhere near as with a scope. But it can be hand held.
They have some sample photos on their site at www.eagleeyeuk.com . They also have a page for 2nd hand gear which is where I got mine for half the price plus a couple of other useful gadgets.
H (another old man)

Re: Opticron adapter versus Eagle eye Zoom

Geoff Brown said:
Like most of you above I have tried the Opticron adapter onto my HR 66 and then using it with a Panasonic DS77 camcorder. It does eventually work but it is such a lot of faffing about to set up. I am wondering if any one can tell me if the Eagle Eye 5* zoom adapter which screws directly onto the front of the camcorder (with an adapter ring) would give passable results but be much quicker to set up. I apologise if I am on the wrong forum but I am a new boy (old man actually!) on the block.:-C

I use the DS77 and it works fine with most traditional adapters (L.C.E. an EagleEye Digimount).
I never gave a thought to using the EagleEye 5x on it..... until the day I sold the 5x to a guy who wanted it for his videocam (also got rid of the awful Kenko 8x32 to him). Seems like quite a few people do this now, so it must produce reasonable results (optical perfection isn't really needed for videocam work)
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back