• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just how good is the 8x32 Opticron Verano BGA VHD? (Comparisons) (1 Viewer)

yarrellii

Supporter
An open question for those who have tried it (not the old BGA HD, but the "new" 8x32 BGA VHD)
A bit of background (I’ve read the reviews by Steve C and Troubador, and everything in between).

I really like 8x32, for non-IS use it is by far my most used configuration (I just don’t see the point of 8x42: weight and size are important to me, and if I want low light performance, I simply prefer to go all the way with bigger eyes, like 10x50, 8x56 etc.). For the last 3 years my main 8x32 has been the EL SV, which I ended up getting after a long quest (UVHD, FL, B1, Conquest HD, CL-B).

However, for the last two years I’ve been using a bigger 12x36, so when I go 8x32 it usually means I want to go light, so it turns out I end up using the Opticron Traveller ED 8x32 more than the Swarovski (such is life). I simply LOVE the form factor of the Traveller, and so did I with the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 I had for a while. It simply fits my hands perfectly. So for quite a while now I’ve been searching in that direction.

I’ve tried different flavours of the 8x30 recipe:
  • Swaro CL-B: too narrow eyecups
  • Kite Lynx HD+: very nice, I could see a slight improvement over the Traveller, but I preferred the handling of the Opticron, and didn’t think the Kite could justify the price.
  • Nikon MHG 8x30. When I heard about it, the heaven opened above my head… buy I tried it several times and I couldn’t live with the blackouts (mind you I really enjoyed its smaller sibling the Monarch 7, so it’s kind of weird). I walked into the shop “with the money in min hand” ready (eager!) to buy it… but I left empty handed.
  • SFL - The last “heavens open” moment has been the launch of the 8x30 Zess SFL. On paper, it’s just it: it seems it can be THE model to help me “merge” my two favourite 8x32 (ELSV and Traveller) in one.
SFL830_EL832_Traveller832.jpeg

• However, I’ve tried it in 8x30 and it left me a bit cold. The view was fantastic, I could see an improvement over the Traveller (as is to be expected), the contrast, the depth, very very nice. But I just “didn’t understand” the handling, the focuser to be precise. I’m sure it works beautifully with the 8x40, as it surely does in the 42 mm SF, but I simply don’t see any advantage on the 8x30 SFL focus over the focus on the Traveller… actually I found it awkward, forcing me to use the middle finger and feeling basically unnatural. Personally, the sense of “fit” is crucial for my taste in binoculars, an ever more so in a small binocular you carry with you everywhere, on long days out, be it hiking or whatever, the “tactile” experience of such a model has to be more than good. Here is where I simply have to take my hat off to Opticron: I find the Traveller simply perfect: the size, shape and texture of the rubber is just brilliant (for the price, and even forgetting about the price). Ultimately, the SFL 8x30 left me with many doubts, I simply didn’t feel “I want to own this device and use it for many hours”, which is a weird feeling when facing the purchase of what is supposed to be the binocular of your dreams.
That’s where I’m coming from. And now I’ve been thinking about the better-with-glare-than average, covered-by-Opticron-30-year-warranty, made-in-japan, not-that-light-but-ok Verano, and the more I think about it, the more the package seems to tick many boxes. No, it’s probably not on SFL territory (let alone ELSV), but… what does it compare to?
How does it fare against a Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 or a Nikon MHG or a Meostar B1? Is it more like a Monarch 7-M7 or Vortex Viper? (to name a few very well known models) Where would you place it in the scale of quality 8x32 models? One model I have never tried is the Maven B3, it's not that easy to get over here in the EU (well, I'm talking about import taxes, which would place it in a compromised position), by most accounts it has gathered a lot of praise.

You can find the Verano for nice prices these days, and it surely looks like a very interesting proposal.

Thank you for any input, opinion or experience.

Last edited:
I'm like you and I'm a big fan of 30-35mm binoculars. This seems to be THE size range that offers the best compromise of weight/size/handling/exit pupil/brightness/resolution. Did I miss something?

I'll keep it simple. It's going to be hard to beat the SV 8X32. The only binocular I've bought of late that has kind of the same blend is the SFL 8X40 which feels a little more like a smallish 42mm than a largish 32mm.

I'm editing this post to say.... Have you tried a Ultravid HD Plus 8X32 lately?

Last edited:
An open question for those who have tried it (not the old BGA HD, but the "new" 8x32 BGA VHD)
A bit of background (I’ve read the reviews by Steve C and Troubador, and everything in between).

I really like 8x32, for non-IS use it is by far my most used configuration (I just don’t see the point of 8x42: weight and size are important to me, and if I want low light performance, I simply prefer to go all the way with bigger eyes, like 10x50, 8x56 etc.). For the last 3 years my main 8x32 has been the EL SV, which I ended up getting after a long quest (UVHD, FL, B1, Conquest HD, CL-B).

However, for the last two years I’ve been using a bigger 12x36, so when I go 8x32 it usually means I want to go light, so it turns out I end up using the Opticron Traveller ED 8x32 more than the Swarovski (such is life). I simply LOVE the form factor of the Traveller, and so did I with the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 I had for a while. It simply fits my hands perfectly. So for quite a while now I’ve been searching in that direction.

• Kite Lynx HD+: very nice, I could see a slight improvement over the Traveller, but I preferred the handling of the Opticron, and didn’t think the Kite could justify the price.
  • Nikon MHG 8x30. When I heard about it, the heaven opened above my head… buy I tried it several times and I couldn’t live with the blackouts (mind you I really enjoyed its smaller sibling the Monarch 7, so it’s kind of weird). I walked into the shop “with the money in min hand” ready (eager!) to buy it… but I left empty handed.
  • SFL - The last “heavens open” moment has been the launch of the 8x30 Zess SFL. On paper, it’s just it: it seems it can be THE model to help me “merge” my two favourite 8x32 (ELSV and Traveller) in one.
View attachment 1541393

• However, I’ve tried it in 8x30 and it left me a bit cold. The view was fantastic, I could see an improvement over the Traveller (as is to be expected), the contrast, the depth, very very nice. But I just “didn’t understand” the handling, the focuser to be precise. I’m sure it works beautifully with the 8x40, as it surely does in the 42 mm SF, but I simply don’t see any advantage on the 8x30 SFL focus over the focus on the Traveller… actually I found it awkward, forcing me to use the middle finger and feeling basically unnatural. Personally, the sense of “fit” is crucial for my taste in binoculars, an ever more so in a small binocular you carry with you everywhere, on long days out, be it hiking or whatever, the “tactile” experience of such a model has to be more than good. Here is where I simply have to take my hat off to Opticron: I find the Traveller simply perfect: the size, shape and texture of the rubber is just brilliant (for the price, and even forgetting about the price). Ultimately, the SFL 8x30 left me with many doubts, I simply didn’t feel “I want to own this device and use it for many hours”, which is a weird feeling when facing the purchase of what is supposed to be the binocular of your dreams.
That’s where I’m coming from. And now I’ve been thinking about the better-with-glare-than average, covered-by-Opticron-30-year-warranty, made-in-japan, not-that-light-but-ok Verano, and the more I think about it, the more the package seems to tick many boxes. No, it’s probably not on SFL territory (let alone ELSV), but… what does it compare to?
How does it fare against a Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 or a Nikon MHG or a Meostar B1? Is it more like a Monarch 7-M7 or Vortex Viper? (to name a few very well known models) Where would you place it in the scale of quality 8x32 models? One model I have never tried is the Maven B3, it's not that easy to get over here in the EU (well, I'm talking about import taxes, which would place it in a compromised position), by most accounts it has gathered a lot of praise.

You can find the Verano for nice prices these days, and it surely looks like a very interesting proposal.

SFL 8x40. It reminds me of an updated EL 8x32 with less glare, a smoother, faster focuser, easier eye placement and better low light performance.

What improvement are you looking for over your Traveler, and why would Verano be it? They seem about the same price here, and who knows what "VHD" is vs ED. Verano also has significantly less FOV.

Nice posting......

I have the Verano 8x32 and it is my main binocular when I go down to Australia, which is once or twice a year for a month at a time since one of my daughters lives there with some grandkids. I like it that much....it is my binocular down there and I keep them there so it saves me having to pack them.

I am tempted to get another one for up here in the states.

I have had the Traveler and find the Verano better. The sweet spot is better...the glare, while still there, is not as much as the Traveler. But the same great ergonomics of the Verano is there, similar to the Traveler. It is easy to focus and just feels weighted in my hands nicely. A very good binocular.

Now....better than ? ....you ask. I have had the Maven and it is better than the Maven. Better than the Monarch, better than the GPO etc... So in their price-range, yes....better. Now if you go up to the Meostar and Conquest and MHG? No...not better optically overall, but then again, you pay more and to be honest each one of those has issues too, right? Just read this forum. Ergonomically the Verano beats all (the Meostar, Conquest and MHG and the Swaro even.....I haven't tried the Genesis). So how it feels, the ease of focus, the placement of the diopter, the eyecups etc...in my thinking equal or exceed those I just mentioned.

By the way....FOV isn't anything I have noticed about being weak in. Unless one directly compares 'side by side'....it really doesn't matter.

I have a 7x36 Opticron classic BGA, which is discontinued, but that is also a great little binocular. In my opinion, both Meopta and Opticron are the best buys for your money now on the market. Not sure where Meopta is going but I hope that Opticron stays with it.

Have you tried a Ultravid HD Plus 8X32 lately?

On my quest for "my perfect" 8x32 I bought the Ultravid (regular) and later on the HD, which I really liked. I preferred it to the 8x32 FL. And when I compared it to the ELSV I like both, it was only a matter of "fit" that made me keep the ELSV. While it is smaller and lighter, which is amazing for the performance, I found the body of the UVHD made me grab it in such a way that my hands would kind of pile up on the upper part, so it felt a bit too cluttered. But it's true that I haven't used an UVHD for more than 3 years. Maybe after all this trying and learning now I would love it.

What improvement are you looking for over your Traveler, and why would Verano be it? They seem about the same price here, and who knows what "VHD" is vs ED. Verano also has significantly less FOV.

In fact, as ergonomics go, I simply love the way the 8x32 Traveller or the 8x30 Monarch 7 fit my hands, they actually disappear in my hands. This is the reason my mythical "eldorado" is somehow a "traditional open bridge" (with a narrowish bridge, like the two I've just mentioned) but that can pack in the highest level of performance. On paper, two binoculars do this: the MHG 8x30 (which was terrible in terms of blackouts) and the SLF, which after much anticipation left me a bit cold, due to the awkward focus position. Because the focus is so low on the body, not only you need to use your middle finger (which is not natural for me), but also my impression is that there is slightly less tube left to rest your ring finger and pinky, while on the Traveller it just works. So the body of something like the Verano (or the Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide) look quite promising, and by all accounts their level of performance put them above the "common breed" of 8x30 (M7, B3, Lynx, etc).

Most users claim that the Verano deals better with glare (the main weakness of the Traveller), and I've also read accounts of a "less washed" image, which is something I would really welcome. Said that, I think the Traveller is just a value gem... and in fact I got mine 2nd hand for a bargain price.

What made me think about this is that lately when I use 8x32 I tend to prefer the convenience advantages of the Traveller (weight and size) over the pure optical advantages of the ELSV. So my goal is to somehow get the best of both worlds. Something lighter and smaller than the ELSV, also something with a traditional single hinge design, which I prefer, but that can improve on the already outstanding Traveller.

@lmans66 Thanks for all those comparisons and insights. In my case, having an ELSV, the truth is that I use the Traveller quite a lot, only because it's more convenient, and I judge it "good enough" to challenge the ELSV as the go-to status. I also had the 7x36 classic and it was a really sweet binocular. I was talking about that last week with another forum member. Only the FOV let it down as an everyday, but I wish there were more like it. :)

View attachment 1541393

Interesting. Do you wear eyeglasses? And if so: how does Traveller work with eyeglasses compared to SFL?

@Swedpat I don't wear glasses. I find the Traveller quite comfortable, especially considering the size. I find them a little easier than the 8x30 Monarch 7 that I've also used intensively with great pleasure.

I tried both the 8x40 and 8x30 SFL and both worked well for me. As expected, the 8x40 was a little more forgiving making the experience a little more involving/immersive, but I had no blackout problems with the 8x30 SFL, opposite to what I experienced with the 8x30 Nikon MHG, which was a real bummer, because I really liked the form factor and overall fit in the hand (more so than the 8x30 SFL with its awkward focus wheel position).
So that's my "issue". I've enjoyed several very small 8x30-32 (Traveller, Monarch 7, Kinte LynxHD+), but the two that I really hoped for (MHG and SFL) didn't seem to work as expected for me. Hence my desire to find something that, while being a "downgrade" from my ELSV or the SFL, could offer some improvement over the Traveller. After reading (but not having tried) a lot about the Verano BGA VHD, I wonder if this model could be the sweet spot I'm looking for.

For reference, some binoculars I find comfortable include the 8x30 Nikon EII, the 8x32 Swarovski ELSV or the Traveller. I also enjoyed the 8x32 Leica Ultravid. On the other hand I found the eyecups too narrow on the 8x30 Swarovski CL-B (2018), the 8x32 Meopta Meostar B1 or the 7x35 Leica "Retrovid"... in case that can give you some context.

Hi Yarrellii.

The focuser on the verano looks a little closer to the objectives than the traveler but I'm not sure if this is significant.

Over this side of the pond we have this - Nikon Monarch M7+ 8x30 | LCE

I'm not sure given your praise for the standard M7 if it would be a consideration if the verano doesn't work out?

Will

@William Lewis I really liked the Monarch 7, loved it to bits. In fact, I used one for over a year or so and I bought another unit. I could see some sample variation: the second one was a little sharper and dealt better with glare (the first one had a very early serial number). Then I got the Traveller and, after comparing it extensively against the Monarch 7, I kept the Opticron, although it was a very close call. I remember that the soft ruber armour on my Monarch 7 was showing signs of use, while the Traveller appeared to be more resistant, something time and use have confirmed. But either is really nice, a perfect package. So I'm pretty sure the M7+ must be a very nice model. However, I'm not sure how much of an improvement over the Traveller it can be, aside from the field flattener. I am under the impression that the Verano is one step above, but I would like to hear from first hand experiences comparing it against other models, like the M7, for example.

Nice posting......

I have the Verano 8x32 and it is my main binocular when I go down to Australia, which is once or twice a year for a month at a time since one of my daughters lives there with some grandkids. I like it that much....it is my binocular down there and I keep them there so it saves me having to pack them.

I am tempted to get another one for up here in the states.

I have had the Traveler and find the Verano better. The sweet spot is better...the glare, while still there, is not as much as the Traveler. But the same great ergonomics of the Verano is there, similar to the Traveler. It is easy to focus and just feels weighted in my hands nicely. A very good binocular.

Now....better than ? ....you ask. I have had the Maven and it is better than the Maven. Better than the Monarch, better than the GPO etc... So in their price-range, yes....better. Now if you go up to the Meostar and Conquest and MHG? No...not better optically overall, but then again, you pay more and to be honest each one of those has issues too, right? Just read this forum. Ergonomically the Verano beats all (the Meostar, Conquest and MHG and the Swaro even.....I haven't tried the Genesis). So how it feels, the ease of focus, the placement of the diopter, the eyecups etc...in my thinking equal or exceed those I just mentioned.

By the way....FOV isn't anything I have noticed about being weak in. Unless one directly compares 'side by side'....it really doesn't matter.

I have a 7x36 Opticron classic BGA, which is discontinued, but that is also a great little binocular. In my opinion, both Meopta and Opticron are the best buys for your money now on the market. Not sure where Meopta is going but I hope that Opticron stays with it.

When the Verano 8x32 BGA VHD first came available, after viewing what it looked like and reading its spec’s my first thought was …. Leupold’s Gold Ring HD 8x32. Both having a stout build, each with over sized eye cups. Each with its special advertised glass and sourced from Japan. I have owned the Leupold but have not handled the Opticron. Could the Opticron be a incarnation to some level to the now discontinued Gold Ring HD 8x32 ? Not having handled the Opticron, I am wondering how close optically would these two be to each other.

I have never seen nor held a Leopold gold ring but looking at the specs the Verano is a 'lot' lighter.... and the FOV isn't as great. They have a similar look though.

The current Leopold BX-4 PRO GUIDE HD 8X32MM is closer but still not quite there even in design of where focus wheel is etc. Perhaps the Verano is based upon the platform of the Leopold but I am guessing it is above quality wise over the Leopold BX-4 PRO GUIDE HD 8X32

I have never seen nor held a Leopold gold ring but looking at the specs the Verano is a 'lot' lighter.... and the FOV isn't as great. They have a similar look though.

The current Leopold BX-4 PRO GUIDE HD 8X32MM is closer but still not quite there even in design of where focus wheel is etc. Perhaps the Verano is based upon the platform of the Leopold but I am guessing it is above quality wise over the Leopold BX-4 PRO GUIDE HD 8X32
My 8x32 Verano VHDs were less than half the price of the BX-4!

Really my BX-4s cost $400 new. Where can I get a$200 pair of Veranos? I’m all in at that price. I’m seeing $519 retail online for new ones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back