• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray porros? (1 Viewer)

Hi all,
my question is:

Would you be interested in quality porros by ZR?

I emailed ZR recently and put to them that if they produced a high quality porro along the lines of EII 8x30s I would almost certainly buy a pair. So long as they are as good (or very nearly so) optically as EIIS and waterproof and with a modern eyecup design so I could make use of all the 8.8 degree fov.

Or maybe you'd prefer something along the lined of an SE?

What stipulations would you have of a new porro design?

I asked them because I have recently got back into porros and tried out both SEs and EIIs but I can't get on with their eyecups/eyerelief. I really like the eyecups on the Opticron SRGAs which are very small and fit my small deep set eyes very well. I also like the eyecups on the Meopta 8x32s which are small but have a large glass surface (compared to the SRGAs that is).

I wear galsses and contact lenses so ideally would like porros that work well with and without glasses on.

Is it time for a new porro or are they old hat now?

Have a great festive time,
Martin.

By the way, Charles from ZR replied and said that they have had similar feedback from others and he is aware that there is a market for high quality porros. He hopes to look into the possibilities in the New Year. He warned that it takes a long time to design and build binoculars, especially as they haven't made porros before so they would be starting from scratch. So, if they do make them, it will be a long time before I can get my paws on them. I can wait. I think!

Last edited:
That would be one for the collection No Doubt. Personally, I've always wanted a pair of the 10x40 version from IOR http://www.holgermerlitz.de/ior7x40.html but being of military descent they purposely have a yellowish tint to the view. I wouldn't see that happening given the glass and coatings ZR chooses. Individual focus I could deal with so long as the depth of field is there. But I'm sure a center focus would be overwhelmingly more popular. Even though that probably changes design/handling potential (Minox comes to mind). There's just something about IOR's that if they could be duplicated minus the yellow tint I'd buy them in a heartbeat.
Given my limited (read non-existent) knowledge of binocular design the best I could say is make it solid (akin to the IOR's), add some decent eye-relief for eye-glass wearers and if you go with a 10x please make it a 10x50...

So, should I start eating Ramen noodles now or can it wait a few months?

Last edited:
Hi all,
my question is:

Would you be interested in quality porros by ZR?

I emailed ZR recently and put to them that if they produced a high quality porro along the lines of EII 8x30s I would almost certainly buy a pair. So long as they are as good (or very nearly so) optically as EIIS and waterproof and with a modern eyecup design so I could make use of all the 8.8 degree fov.

Or maybe you'd prefer something along the lined of an SE?

What stipulations would you have of a new porro design?

I asked them because I have recently got back into porros and tried out both SEs and EIIs but I can't get on with their eyecups/eyerelief. I really like the eyecups on the Opticron SRGAs which are very small and fit my small deep set eyes very well. I also like the eyecups on the Meopta 8x32s which are small but have a large glass surface (compared to the SRGAs that is).

I wear galsses and contact lenses so ideally would like porros that work well with and without glasses on.

Is it time for a new porro or are they old hat now?

Have a great festive time,
Martin.

By the way, Charles from ZR replied and said that they have had similar feedback from others and he is aware that there is a market for high quality porros. He hopes to look into the possibilities in the New Year. He warned that it takes a long time to design and build binoculars, especially as they haven't made porros before so they would be starting from scratch. So, if they do make them, it will be a long time before I can get my paws on them. I can wait. I think!

Would you I be interested in quality porros by ZR, you asked

If they were as good quality as ZR's roofs, but had the stray light issue fully resolved, you bet your sweet bippy I would!

Over the weekend (when it wasn't snowing), I had a chance to compare the ZR 7x36 ED2 to my Nikon 8x30 EII.

Here's how they stacked up:

Ergonomics: If not for the 2" extensions on the stubby barrels of my EII (made from a combo of Bushwackers and rubber dewshields), the ZR would be by far better in this regard, because the EII is too "short and stout" for my large hands.

The ZR's ergonomics reminds me of the EDG. The Promaster ED while having image quality on par (or nearly) with the 8x32 LX (w/out the CA) was too long even for my large hands and the thumb indents were too deep. There also wasn't enough space between the barrels in the "open" bridge.

With the 7x ED2, I can fit two fingers from each hand opposite each other in the open space. With the Promaster, I had to stagger my fingers to get them to fit in the open space. The smaller aperture probably helps in this regard.

The 7x ED2 is the perfect size for my large hands, and the shallow indents will fit a variety of different size thumbs.

I also like the recessed metal frame that runs along the top in front of the focuser, which my middle finger rests in perfectly, with my index finger on the focuser, and the ring finger and pinky in the space between the barrels.

Kudos to the ZR designers for making an open bridge design that actually works!

If ZR made an 8x30 porro, my advice - make the barrels longer than the 8x30 EII so people have some place to rest their pinkies to stabilize the bin better. (You can add # 5 Bushwacker to the EII to help with this).

However, I would rather they make the body design more like the SE, which fits a variety of hands well, though it too suffers from stubby barrels (not quite as short).

But don't stop there or you will be just "reinventing the wheel". What the EII and SE lines lack are full sized models.

My ideal porro would be a WF 8* 8x or 7x42 SE, but without the finicky eye placement, more like the EII in that regard.

If ZR could make a porro with optics as good as the EII in a full sized bin, they would have something truly unique and would be hard pressed to keep up with demand.

Eyecups. The ZR eyecups are more comfortable than the EII's rubber fold down type, although the EII's eyecups are more comfortable than the 8x SE, which does not fit into my deep eye orbits, so I can't see the entire FOV (I can squish my eyes into the cups, but then I get "blackouts"). The SE/EII eyecups are the same diameter, but the shorter ER on the EII makes for a better fit.

Curiously, I get blackouts with the 7x ED2 too even with the cups all the way up. I found that by carefully setting the IPD I can minimize this but not eliminate it. No blackouts with the EII.

The second detent on the ZR's eycups is too close to the bottom. The best ER for me with the ED2 is a dentent just below the top position.

So if ZR makes porros with twist up eyecups, make them with four detents, one near the top. People with deep set eyes need to get a bit closer than the top position to see the entire FOV, but not so close as to experience image blackouts.

The ZR's eyecups are all plastic, which is bound to wear down the detents with use as it moves up and down over the metal shaft.

The Nikon LX has rubber armor over a metal base, which moves up and down a metal shaft. This is a better design.

There's also a bit too much "play" in the ED2's eyecups, and they could also use more beveling at the edges like the Hawke Frontier eyecups for better comfort.

My final comment on eyecups is that my experience with WF porros with twist-up eyecups has not been favorable. The Audubon 820 is the worst example. The eyecups are too big, too hard, and have no bevel at the edge.

For some reason -- experts can chime in here -- porro eye lens housings on WF bins seem to be larger than comparable FOV roofs.

Not the EP lens diameter itself, but the EP housing diameter. So manufacturers make the twist-ups to run along that wider housing, which makes the eyecups too W-I-D-E.

Not sure what could be done about this, but it's made me live with fold down eyecups (on my 804 Audubon vs. 820 Audubon, for example).

Focuser.

The focuser on the EII is identical to the SE. Front positioned with a tiny wheel. Don't like it.

I do like the front position vs. middle position to keep the open bridge design, but a wider focuser would be better.

The 7x ED2's focuser is wide enough, but considering how stiff the focuser is, it really needs thicker rubber grips on the focuser to make it easier to turn. With gloves on, I have a hard time gripping the focuser.

So larger focuser with larger or at least higher rubber grips.

Given that people want WP bins, the ZR porro would have to be WP. That tends to make the focus stiff in my experience with WP porros.

The ED2 focuser is stiff enough, if the porro version were stiffer, that would be intolerable to many people.

The ED2's focuser is stiffest at about 15 ft. After that it loosens up a bit, not sure why it's designed like this, but I need the focuser to be smooth so I can quickly move from close distance to medium range (15 to 40 ft.) since that's the range I do most of my birding (backyard feeders, trees, habitat surroundings).

At longer distances, the ED2's focuser speed and tension is fine.

DOF/DOFocus:

1 turn from cf to infinity would be ideal but only if it didn't make the depth of focus too shallow. If it did, then 1 and 1/2 turns.

I haven't tried the 7x42 FL and it doesn't surprise me that it would have better depth of focus, but compared to the 8x32 LX, which takes only 1/2 turn from cf to infinity, I find the depth of focus on the 7xED2 quite good.

The DOF is also quite good for a midsized roof.

The DOF, depth of focus, and 3-D effect are all better on the EII, and this is what makes porros appealing to me.

Optics.

Aside from the stray light problem, which I understand has been addressed, when the bins are not pointed toward the sun, the views are marvelous through the 7x ED2.

Looking at birds against a snowy background w/out the CA I often see in my LX was very nice.

But there was one thing I don't see in the LX - pincushion.

Both the EII and ED2 have noticeable pincushion, though the ED2 is more extreme.

Looking at the rectangular computer screen, the edges are saddle shaped with the ED2, just a bit bowed with the EII, and straight with the SE.

It seems with WF bins, you need to have more pincushion than with more moderate fields of view.

The pincushion causes a bit of "scrolling" (similar to rolling ball but in this case, "rolling saddle"), but it's not bad in either the EII or ED2 while panning, but it is a bit disturbing at close distance with the ZR, because it distorts the shape.

So I prefer the less pincushion (but no rolling ball!) of the EII to the ED2.

Although I do like sharp edges and find fuzzy edges distracting, particularly while panning, the edges on 7x ED2 fall off gradually, so they are not distracting.

The EII is better in this regard - wider sweet spot and even more gradual fall off at the edges. I prefer that design. That's the famous "Nikon view".

If ZR could design a WF porro with sharp optics, wide sweet spot, gradual fall off at the edges, excellent contrast and color depth, low aberrations, with ED glass and WP, they would two legs up Nikon, and fill the gap left by the demise of the EII and the SE lines.

Color and contrast (except when pointing toward the sun) were similar in the two bins, though colors are a bit more vivid in the the EII and truer to life despite its lack of exotic glass. This surprised me. The LX is a step ahead of the EII in terms of contrast and color depth, two steps ahead of the ED2.

CA control was better, of course, in the ZR, but the EII was no slouch in this dept. either despite its lack of exotic glass. The LX could use ED glass to control CA in high contrast situations. Double that for the LX L.

Cost. Henry said on another thread that if porros had all the features that top roofs had, they would cost the same (or nearly the same).

Not if they were manufactured in China. ZR already proved that with its roofs.

The biggest cost in Zeiss, Lecia, and Swaros is probably labor costs. Germany has the highest wages of any country in Europe. Austria is right behind Germany.

There's no reason why either roofs or porros couldn't be built with similar quality in China, but they would need to get more on par with Japanese QC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming

If not for Deming, the label "Made in Japan" would still make people wince and equate the product with junk.

Chinese products get similar reactions now from some people, but with more attention paid to quality control and safety (no lead, no Melamine, etc.), that can turn around like it did in Japan.

As far as the customer demand: Build it (right) and they will come.

Happy Festivus to you too, Martin! :)

Brock

Last edited:
Wow Brock,

you know what you want don't you. You have given ZR a great start on their research. I haven't got time to fully read your post this morning. I shall study it later.
The lines that stand out at first glance though, are:

"If ZR could design a WF porro with sharp optics, wide sweet spot, gradual fall off at the edges, excellent contrast and color depth, low aberrations, with ED glass and WP, they would two legs up Nikon, and fill the gap left by the demise of the EII and the SE lines."

Just about sums it up I reckon.

Thanks,
Martin

Brock: It is fun to read your Christmas wish list. Santa will have to get the elves busy
working in the workshop!

You mentioned "What the EII and SE lines lack are full sized models." You must have forgotten about the 10x42 and 12x50 SE, full sized, and still available now and then in new and demo.

Jerry

Brock: It is fun to read your Christmas wish list. Santa will have to get the elves busy
working in the workshop!

You mentioned "What the EII and SE lines lack are full sized models." You must have forgotten about the 10x42 and 12x50 SE, full sized, and still available now and then in new and demo.

Jerry

Jerry,

Santa moved his workshop from the North Pole to China last year to cut down on energy costs, and from what I heard, the elves love General Tso's Chicken. :)

I meant full sized 7x or 8x42s, but I will also add 10x50s to my wish list.

The reason Nikon made the 10x42 and 12x50 is so they could all share the same EP and prism housing.

More typically with premium and second tier roof prism lines these days, you have both 7x and 8x42, 8x32, 10x32 (sometimes), 10x42, 10x50, and 12x50.

So if ZR wants their porros to compete with roofs, they need to expand their porro configurations, which Nikon didn't with its premium porros or premium roofs, until they added a 7x42 to the EDG line up.

Nikon never offered a 10x50 in either its premium porro or roof lines. So there's another niche to be filled.

Last edited:
Hello all,

My first observation is that waterproofing for a center focussing Porro binocular, means internal center focussing, which seems to limit FOV. I am not sure of the engineering but the few internal focussing center focussing Porro binoculars have not had good FOV's. The Swift 820, a Porro, had a lot of trouble using "o" rings to provide waterproofing: too much resistance in focussing and displacement of the "o" rings.

If one does not rely on moving eyepieces for focussing, as do some roof glasses, there should be a significant lowering of price. No phase coating and no dielectric mirrors removes some stages of production. Brock has stated his preferences on size but any manufacturer has to determine the sweet spot in the marketplace, so there will always be a few who find any product to be uncomfortable. Needless to write, Zen will pitch to the American market, male and female, and not to Klingons.

I am well satisfied with my string of binoculars but a first class 8x40 Porro would interest me. Incidentally, there are ways to reduce CA without going to fancy glass: triplet objectives and long focal length objectives work well. Remember that a wide field glass with 40 mm. objectives would have large prisms. Perhaps 8x36 would be manageable.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

Last edited:
all the people I know (myself included) always carry roof binoculars for birding. It will be an uphill battle for ZR to convince people to switch to Porro since Nikon apparently didn't succeed in doing that with their Premier SE.

all the people I know (myself included) always carry roof binoculars for birding. It will be an uphill battle for ZR to convince people to switch to Porro since Nikon apparently didn't succeed in doing that with their Premier SE.

My thoughts exactly.

I must say though that I would like to see someone produce a replacement for the Nikon 8x30 EII. I recommended the EII to quite a few folks looking for top notch optics for ~$200 (In the USA, the EII was readily available for $210-$240--apparently, it sold for much more elsewhere), and though there were other good choices before it, there haven't been any since. I really miss the EII.

On the other hand, what I'd really like to see is a Zen Ray 7x32 ED bino that has a wide field, 18+mm eye-relief, and that is the size of a Leica Ultravid or Zeiss FL 8x32.

--AP

I am afraid that I agree here, I have owned all three of the Nikon SE's, currently have the 8x32 SE, and that is probably the last bin that I own that I will ever part with.

I just think it would be a tall order to not only equal Nikon here, just think
optically, but the quality of focus, the high quality armor, just the overall fit and finish. That is why they were called the "Superior E".

Trying to remake this one I feel would be difficult, Nikon knows how to make glass, do you think the Chinese can do it better. I don't think so, it is the total package, not the sum of its parts.

You better get that Nikon SE before they are all gone. :t:

Jerry

I must say though that I would like to see someone produce a replacement for the Nikon 8x30 EII. I recommended the EII to quite a few folks looking for top notch optics for ~$200 (In the USA, the EII was readily available for $210-$240--apparently, it sold for much more elsewhere), and though there were other good choices before it, there haven't been any since. I really miss the EII.

Yes, I think the EII is really a "special" porro, with the 8x better than 8x SE IMO. But it has never sold that cheap in Japan as far as I remember. Even now it is ~47,000 yen. Some will find fault with its ergonomics (my gripe is they don't hang "flat") BUT it pushes all my OPTICAL buttons REALLY WELL. If the weather is fair and the risk of them getting roughed up low, there is no better 8x binocular I feel.

merry christmas!
Rick

I am afraid that I agree here, I have owned all three of the Nikon SE's, currently have the 8x32 SE, and that is probably the last bin that I own that I will ever part with.

I just think it would be a tall order to not only equal Nikon here, just think
optically, but the quality of focus, the high quality armor, just the overall fit and finish. That is why they were called the "Superior E".

Trying to remake this one I feel would be difficult, Nikon knows how to make glass, do you think the Chinese can do it better. I don't think so, it is the total package, not the sum of its parts.

You better get that Nikon SE before they are all gone. :t:

Jerry

Jerry,

The armor and overall fit and finish can be duplicated, the LX focuser is tougher, best I've ever tried, even some Zeiss and Leica fans admit to its superiority, but ZR can certainly make a better focuser than its present gen, which is stiff, but otherwise pretty good in terms of its turning ratio and depth of focus.

Nikon's glass and coatings, now those are proprietary secrets that might be tough to reverse engineer.

When I compare the SE or EII or the LX with the ZR, even with its ED glass, the Nikons all have a "clarity" or "transparency" of view that the ZR doesn't match.

Even the Promaster ED, which came closer to matching the LX, fell a bit shy. So you raise an important point.

But could the Chinese do it? Given time, I think they could, particularly with the help of American and Japanese optical designers.

When Sakichi Toyoda started Toyota, did any American ever think that at some point those little "beep beep boxes" would outsell all other brands in the world?

Last year, Toyota ousted GM as the best selling brand in the world. Lexus also outsells Mercedes in the US. So it's not just at the entry level or mid-price points.

I used to work with a guy who had an MGB, which he considered the "quintessential sports car".

He laughed at me when I bought a '73 Datsun 240 Z (Nissan). "The Japs are trying to make a sports car?" he said, "You've got to be joking?"

I took him for a ride in my "Z" and as his cheeks compressed against his face when I accelerated from the toll booth, which rapidly disappeared in my rear view mirror, he said, "Un&$&@# believable, man!"

He was stunned that such a sports car could come out of Japan since it railed against his preconceived notions.

He was also impressed that when his MGB was in the shop for its 5th repair in one year, my Nissan kept on ticking without hitch and provided him with a ride to work.

When I read your PM, I thought of that incident and my old sports car. The ZR may not be the 240 Z of bins, but they are closing in on that target.

There will come a day when we will talk of the "Big Five," with the fifth company being a line of premium Chinese-made bins.

Already the Nikon EDG is being considered by a growing number of reviewers to be the equal of Leica, Swaro, and Zeiss, with some referring to the "Big Four" now.

A Japanese premium roof that competes with the Teutonics? "Un&$&@# believable, man!" :)

Being that you own an EDG, you know what I mean.

As far as porros not having a market. You and I are their market. Boomers who grew up with porros, who still prefer the porro view, but buy roofs because they have better coatings, more robust build, and more "bells and whistles."

They would love to have a "field worthy" premium porro rather than a museum piece of yesteryear.

When you look at the retro trend in the auto industry with old models being revived with the latest upgrades, it could work the same way for upgraded, premium porros.

Innovative companies don't follow trends, they create them. Not sure who said that, but it sounds good. :)

Brock:

Nice of you to bring to the forum some nice analogies of optics to the automotive
world.
My, how that brings memories to me of some of the cars I have had over the years.
I also once had a Datsun 240Z, and have enjoyed many others including Honda, Audi, and others.

In my other life, I am kind of a car guy, and enjoy my muscle car convertible in the summer, Chev. Z-28.

I, like you am a boomer, and I am now settling into kind of a rut where a nice old Nikon SE pleases me just fine.

There is one thing for certain, there will never be a "KIA" in my driveway, hey I just ordered a new "Buick".

Jerry

Last edited:
Man, this thread has expanded far afield, quickly. Thanks Brock. ;)
Some of the analogies aren't working for me. I think the Japanese have had a rich history of excellence for a l o n g time.

The Chinese example is different, for me. I'm certain the Chinese can make whatever they want, in either an original design or stolen intellectual property, that will equal anything else, produced anywhere. What they have to overcome for me, and I suspect many, is the feeling they are always pulling a fast one on me, a deception, a fraud. I always have the feeling with Chinese goods that there is an accompanying untold story that comes along for the ride that I wouldn't much appreciate if known. Certainly many of the ones we do know about are rather unsavory.

There was a movie released recently where the plot was that a couple would receive a million dollars if they pushed a button, BUT they were told someone, somewhere, would die as a consequence.

Do you ever wonder what the true cost of those Chinese bins is?

I always have the feeling with Chinese goods that there is an accompanying untold story that comes along for the ride that I wouldn't much appreciate if known. Certainly many of the ones we do know about are rather unsavory.

Do you ever wonder what the true cost of those Chinese bins is?

A very good point Kevin. You instantly make me want to try some Swaro porros.

I recently heard a radio article about the true cost of clothes (not just Chinese but from various countries). A story of low paid un-unionised abused workers and environmental damage caused by unregulated dyeing processes.

I hadn't considered thiis when I started this thread despite other threads on similar lines. It's very easy to ignore the circumstances of our actions when we can't see them happening.

Happy festivities,
Martin.

I endorse the proposal of Pinewood: a compact porro 8x36 WF with long eye-relief like many people, me first!
Regards & seasong greetings,

Alessandro.

A very good point Kevin. You instantly make me want to try some Swaro porros.

I recently heard a radio article about the true cost of clothes (not just Chinese but from various countries). A story of low paid un-unionised abused workers and environmental damage caused by unregulated dyeing processes.

I hadn't considered thiis when I started this thread despite other threads on similar lines. It's very easy to ignore the circumstances of our actions when we can't see them happening.

Happy festivities,
Martin.

I remember bringing stuff like this up not too long ago in threads much like this one and getting unshirted hell for doing so. I really don't think I made a difference but it is nice to know that these concerns are at the backs of our minds and that we really don't need someone constantly pounding a pulpit to bring them back out in the open.
Bob

thank you

Martin, thanks a lot for bringing out an excellent topic on Porro binoculars. We do have a line of Marine binoculars 7x50. But obviously, they are not designed for birding. Those excellent follow-up discussion by fellow members, especially from brockroller, will definitely have positive influence on our design process. Again, as I wrote to Martin, nothing is certain yet since we don't even have a sketch on the napkin yet. :) If we ever make it, it will not resemble Nikon SE for sure, simply because we are obligated to so many new requirements.;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back