• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x42 vs. 10x42 Binoculars (1 Viewer)

I should clarify a little: If I was going to a concert, or somewhere where I literally want a pair of bins in my jacket or even shirt pocket, then yes, the 8x20 are great (and why I still own them). But for any kind of nature, bird, etc. observation, the physical diff between 8x30 and the 8x20 is tolerable, whereas the optical difference is HUGE. 8x30 are 'real' EDC bins and if anything they have questioned my need for 8x42 etc. The 8x30SFL are a little fiddly, but they could be my birding bins for 95% or more of my outings. Also I'll note that I wear specs, so avoiding the 'peephole' effect with 20's is a lot harder.

For the sake of keeping on topic, I'll just add that I've owned several 10x in the past years and have ended up selling them all. I simply find them harder to hold steady (particularly if hiking etc), and if anything, I'm often wanting to migrate to 7x (from 8x) :p
I’ve had very similar experiences. I had a dozen 10’s I bought over the last few years, and I sold most of them. I think I still have four, all are 42’s. Although I like the image in the Leica 20’s , I really prefer the 7x21 Swaro when it comes the compacts, their brighter, sharper, more comfortable eye box and the 7x DOF.

Paul

I’ve had very similar experiences. I had a dozen 10’s I bought over the last few years, and I sold most of them. I think I still have four, all are 42’s. Although I like the image in the Leica 20’s , I really prefer the 7x21 Swaro when it comes the compacts, their brighter, sharper, more comfortable eye box and the 7x DOF.

Paul
I've been tempted to try a diff mini-bin, but really, the 8x30 format is just sooooo nice that I've resisted temptation. I do agree that 7x21 is prob a good compromise if wanting shirt-pocket bins.

I've been tempted to try a diff mini-bin, but really, the 8x30 format is just sooooo nice that I've resisted temptation. I do agree that 7x21 is prob a good compromise if wanting shirt-pocket bins.
I tried the Leica Ultravid, Trinovid, Swaro Curio and the Opticron Traveler 8x25. The Opticron 25 is almost the same size as the Leica’s and the optics and eye box are very nice and friendly for under $300.

But imo the Swaro is the best in this genre.

Paul

I should clarify a little: If I was going to a concert, or somewhere where I literally want a pair of bins in my jacket or even shirt pocket, then yes, the 8x20 are great (and why I still own them). But for any kind of nature, bird, etc. observation, the physical diff between 8x30 and the 8x20 is tolerable, whereas the optical difference is HUGE. 8x30 are 'real' EDC bins and if anything they have questioned my need for 8x42 etc. The 8x30SFL are a little fiddly, but they could be my birding bins for 95% or more of my outings. Also I'll note that I wear specs, so avoiding the 'peephole' effect with 20's is a lot harder.

For the sake of keeping on topic, I'll just add that I've owned several 10x in the past years and have ended up selling them all. I simply find them harder to hold steady (particularly if hiking etc), and if anything, I'm often wanting to migrate to 7x (from 8x) :p
An inexpensive 8x30 or 8x32 would be good for morning walks and a pair of 8x42’s as my main birding binocular. If I had 10x42’s, I’d probably mount them on a tripod or window mount to get the most out of them. Thanks for the recommendation!

I tried the Leica Ultravid, Trinovid, Swaro Curio and the Opticron Traveler 8x25. The Opticron 25 is almost the same size as the Leica’s and the optics and eye box are very nice and friendly for under $300.

But imo the Swaro is the best in this genre.

Paul
I checked Opticronusa’s website and only found 8x32 and 10x32 binoculars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back