• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zante - RFI (1 Viewer)

Rob Smallwood

Has anyone been to Zante in August recently?

I know its not a hotspot for birding but family commitments drag me there this year and there are very few reports other than RB's from some time ago.

I went in the early nineties (not recently i know) on a holiday with an ex-girlfriend. It was rubbish for birding. Saw a few shearwaters distantly but nothing other than that! Cant you convince the family to o to Majorca? Shorter flights, great beaches and loads of birds for you without really trying!:t:

Went to Zante twice in the late nineties with my Girlfriend( now long suffering wife) and stayed at Laganas. Had the usual Med stuff around the Olive Groves, i.e. Bee-eaters, Olivaceous Warblers, Sardinian Warbler, Creasted Larks, Alpine Swift, R R Swallow etc.

But i can highly recomend a boat trip around the Island. It lasts all day but managed Shearwaters, 3 sp of Swift and best of all 2 Elenora's Falcons!!!!! :t:
They were lifers at the time and surely the best Falcon in the World.

Also managed to see plenty of Turtles from Palos from the Beach at Laganas, and also saw a few from the boat trip as well.

Hope this helps.

Sylvia.

Went to Zante twice in the late nineties with my Girlfriend( now long suffering wife) and stayed at Laganas. Had the usual Med stuff around the Olive Groves, i.e. Bee-eaters, Olivaceous Warblers, Sardinian Warbler, Creasted Larks, Alpine Swift, R R Swallow etc.

But i can highly recomend a boat trip around the Island. It lasts all day but managed Shearwaters, 3 sp of Swift and best of all 2 Elenora's Falcons!!!!! :t:
They were lifers at the time and surely the best Falcon in the World.

Also managed to see plenty of Turtles from Palos from the Beach at Laganas, and also saw a few from the boat trip as well.

Hope this helps.

Sylvia.

Cheers

Just back - as expected, it's a bird desert!

Highlights were Temmink's Stint on Saltpans at Alykes and a brilliant half hour watching a pale phase Eleanora's feeding over olive groves at point blank range, magical.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back