• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ussr binoculars? (1 Viewer)

teebee

United Kingdom
hi, this is my first post so apologies if i’m posting in the wrong place!

I’ve come across some old binoculars I was gifted around ten years ago with no context or information on them other than “they’re good”, and they’ve been laying on a shelf for most of that time.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me identify what they are or just any information on them as i’ve been curious but know next to nothing about binoculars, and somewhere like this seems as good a place as any.

I think they might be from 1971 (?), and they were made in USSR, and that’s about it. Any guesses/info are very much appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 40
Hi and welcome.

This is a very common 8x30 Komz binocular maybe made in Kazan.

Type 2.

Part multicoated, field about 8.5 degrees with Erfle type eyepiece, I think 15.5mm focal length.

It may be home production, at least the case, as it has Cyrillic letters.

Leather strap.

Should work down to minus 40 degrees.

Usually clean inside.

If well aligned just use it, although better without glasses.

I presume it doesn't have a reticle in one eyepiece.

Regards,
B.

Hi!

thank you for letting me know, they’ve been a mystery to myself and the person who gave me them for so long. They’ll likely only be used to watch the wildlife and birds in the treeline next to my house but at least now i’ve got some history! Only now to wonder how on earth they ended up in my family haha.

They ended up in your family because they were good value for money.

In the U.K. T.O.E. imported Soviet cameras, binoculars and telescopes.

The 8x30 monocular was about £13 retail, I suppose the binoculars around £25.
These and the Zeiss Jena 8x30 and Praktica cameras were the starting point for most folks with the latter a bit more expensive.

Also the Pentacon Six or Praktisix 6x6 medium format cameras with 50mm, 65mm, 80mm standard f/2.8 or f/3.5, 120mm, 180mm, 300mm and 500mm lenses, all of which I had. Plus metering viewfinders, bellows etc. There was later a 40mm lens also I think, Arsat maybe.

Kiev 4 rangefinder copies of the Zeiss Contax and Kiev 80 copies of the Hassleblad 1600.
Plus very odd Kievs with rotary shutters.
And vertical shape maybe half frame cameras.

Zenit cameras with various lenses Unique design Orion wide angle lens.
Tilt and shift lenses.

Leica rangefinder camera copies, FED, Zorki Stereo attachments.

Plus very early SLR 35mm camera. 1934 Sport.

Start camera.

Plus miniature copies of other foreign makes like Minolta.
As well as original sub miniatures.

The 8x30s are often clean inside and if it doesn't give double images there may be no need for servicing, which costs more than they are worth.

There are also Soviet 12x45, 15x50, 10x40 a bit of an oddity.
7x50, 12x40, 16x50, 20x60, 26x70, 10x50, 8x40.
Miniature binoculars, opera glasses.
And various monoculars including the plastic 10x46, which is optically O.K. and used as a telescope finder sometimes.
The combined 12x40/20x60 monocular with optical window. Mine was dire with the bayonet failing and black goo everywhere from poor metal.

6x30 military.
And versions with odd coatings or reticles.

6x30, 8x40, 10x50 extra wide angle binoculars.

5x25, 7x35 and 10x40 Foton roof prism binoculars.

5x25 and 7x35 folding monoculars.

2.5x17.5 Galilean monoculars and binoculars.

15x105 with 6 degree field, 20x105 and maybe 15x110 binoculars on tripods.

The Tal telescopes were good but heavy.
Soviet Maksutovs are a speciality, but heavy.
Also odd design refractors and mirror scopes.

Regards,
B.

Last edited:
I have 4 of these and the newer version that was also sold by "Levenhuk" as "Heritage"-model but also made by Komz. The new one is actually pretty good because of the upgraded coatings but the build quality is not quite up to the older USSR models. I'm guessing the tooling and machinery might be worn down by now.
I also own the 6x24, 10x40 and 12x45. The 6x24 is probably the most interesting as it is a super wide angle and no longer made. Also excellent quality with coated prisms and all.
The old 8x30 is okay but also "nothing to write home about". But I did want to compare the different coatings -- the more purple ones and the other ones as some claimed the purple coatings were better which turned out to not be true. They are more or less the same. In fact the newer one I own (from '91) is slightly sharper so Komz seems to have actually tried (and succeeded) to improve them over time.
One of the 8x30s I have was misaligned but it looked like someone had driven a car over it so badly warped was the body. The seller had hid this fact by not showing it from every angle but I kept it as a spare for parts as it wasn't expensive.
One of them rests on the window sill in the kitchen. I had a more modern roof prism there for a while but the rubber coating now smells like frying fat. So that was a bad idea :D. (Note to self: don't keep rubber coated binos in the kitchen.)
All in all -- for anyone interested in buying a used one -- don't overpay. Between 30-60€/$ in good condition is okay. But the new one with upgraded coatings was only 100€ for which it is absolutely fine and definitely better for actual use.
But the real gem of the Komz line-up besides the 6x24 is the 7x30 military model (also made in 10x42 but no longer available for obvious reasons). No comparison to the others, flat field design with huge 7-element oculars (6 elements according to other sources but I think that's because one element seems to be actually cemented from two lenses). The 8x30 has 5 element oculars. I only know this because it is actually stated on the outside of some of them that were sold in Germany "5-Linser" which translates to "5 lenses".
I also once accidentally bought a fake one, they normally sell on Aliexpress -- mine was used from ebay and I didn't notice. Differences are -- the originial focuses clock-wise, the fake counter clockwise. Also the fake has a slightly larger FoV, more reflections but better coatings than the old USSR ones and the ocular bridge is plastic unlike on the original.
If everything works as it should and there is no fungus or dust inside (there rarely is as the "black goo" is used to seal it and there are felt rings on the ocular turrets to keep dust and moisture out which seems to work just fine) -- then they don't really need to be serviced.

Thanks.

I forgot the 6x24, 7x30 and 10x42, which I have.
I really don't like the last two as they make me sea sick..
The 6x24 is very nice. I think it has special eyepieces.

There is also maybe a 4x16.

And the very rare 8x30 with 13 degree eyepieces.

I also have a weird small metal binocular that has such a curved field that only one third of the field is usable for me.

There may be 7x35s in standard and extra wide field also.

And a more modern reversed Porro binocular.

The 12x45 was my standard binocular for ten years, and is still very good, although with a yellow cast.
I saw geosynchronous satellites with this near the Orion nebula. These are normally invisible except in large telescopes, but the panels must have been glinting the Sun.
They were seen on several nights.
Maybe 4,000 miles up?

Regards,
B.

Last edited:
But the real gem of the Komz line-up [...] is the 7x30 military model (also made in 10x42 but no longer available for obvious reasons). No comparison to the others, flat field design with huge 7-element oculars (6 elements according to other sources but I think that's because one element seems to be actually cemented from two lenses). [... ]
If everything works as it should and there is no fungus or dust inside (there rarely is as the "black goo" is used to seal it and there are felt rings on the ocular turrets to keep dust and moisture out which seems to work just fine) -- then they don't really need to be serviced.
That's a very interesting pair, albeit with a rather strong yellow tint. And very heavy for a 7x30.

BTW, there is some more information on Holger's website: Binoculars Corner

Hermann

Thanks.

I forgot the 6x24, 7x30 and 10x42, which I have.
I really don't like the last two as they make me sea sick..
The 6x24 is very nice. I think it has special eyepieces.
That's interesting. To my eyes the edge distortion (not the field curvature) of the 6x24 seems worse than the 7x30. It's not bothering me but I like the 7x30 a bit more but that might be in part because when I use the newer version with the long rubber eye cups a tiny bit of the FoV is cut off which might just be enough to reduce the rolling ball effect. On the older one with the twist-up eye cups the view isn't reduced and therefore rolling ball effect is stronger. But when I simply screw off the rubber eye cups on the new one, I can see the whole FoV with glasses on.
The 6x24 seems to have a very similar distortion to the Kowa BDII 6.5x32 when I compare them directly. Kind of a mustache distortion if my eyes don't play tricks on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back