• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bishop Middleham (1 Viewer)

I live near Bishop Middleham Bird reserve and i was wondering if a thred for the reserve was a good idea. Hope It works.
In the area nearby i saw a large flock of woodpigeons and it looked as if there was one or two stock doves in with them. Some Geease flew over, i thinkn they were pink foot.
Birding Maniac

Hi,

The Durham Birding thread often gets reports of Bishop Middleham. I didn't know you lived in County Durham! I thought you lived in yorkshire or somewhere.

If you want start a thread for Bishop Middleham I would say that's a good idea. I can see something very rare turning up on the reserve shortly. Perhaps a very rare wader? Already had Wilson's Phalarope.

Well the Bishop Middleham area has had some good birds in the last few years.The most famous being the breeding pair of Bee-eaters also the same year there were alot of Quail in the area.Bishop Middleham is now the best place for seeing Corn Bunting in county Durham i saw 22 at Farnless Farm last week.Other birds that have been seen in the area include White Stork,Little Egret,Turtle Dove,Pectoral Sandpipers,Bewick's Swan,Tundra Bean geese,WFgeese. I am sure Bishop Middleham will get some more good birds over the coming years. I fancy another rare wader to turn a Lesser Yellowlegs or Stilt Sandpiper

Last edited:
we had 43 pink feet in amongst about 200 greylags on sunday morning,theres also usually stock doves kicking about,hope this helps

I've moved the thread into the County Durham forum.

The area gets plenty of visitors - bioth birds and birders so it's not a bad idea to have a thread of it's own.

I never knew there was a reserve at Bishop Middleham.

Can anyone give me directions on how to get to there?

Matt

A key is required for hide for the very small sum of £5 from Durham Bird Club. You don't need to be a member, but new members are always welcomed & the club has played a major role in developing the area. Steve Evans, a regular contributer to the forum, is the hide key contact.

Other areas of interest to you in your area will be Stoney Beck Lake & Farnless Farm, Alans Pools & Fishburn Lake, and the A1 Flashes just south of the Castle Lake reserve.

There is some info for your area here http://www.durhambirdclub.org/dbc.pl/articles/Bishop%20Middleham%20(focus%20on),%20Lek%20Spring%202006.pdf but I'm not sure if is accessible to the general public (members only).​

Last edited:
Thanks for moving this Ian! It was very misty this morning so i didn't see anything around here. I saw the Bee -eaters when they were here, and i have seen many other things in the area too. Thanks for putting the locations on too.

Thanks for the info AndyMc. I cant get onto the Durham page it is members only.Can you point me in the right direction of the other sites you mention? Is there a carpark at Middleham Lake? Also what do you mean by the A1 flashes?
Matt

Last edited:
DBC Castle Lake Nature Reserve.

Allways something of interest on the reserve, plus excellent network of public footpaths in area.

The lake is a large water body so a telescope is helpfull.

I have attd a couple of images illustrating typical viewing.
Brief summary of yestdays visit on blog.

As Andy has mentioned, keys are available to all.
Message / Phone or send a cheque for £6:00 (inc p&p) payable to "DBC" to DBC, c/o 4,Leyburn Close, Houghton-le-Spring, Co.Durham, DH4 5EF.
stevieevans"AT"btinternet.com
mob: 07979 60 1231

NB: Please help DBC & the landowners make the most out of this site. Follow on site instructions & remember there is no access to any section of the shoreline.

Enjoy your visit.

http://s-evans.blogspot.com/?zx=d1c5e184b6404dda

Attachments

• View-from-hide.gif
    View-from-hide.gif
    103.8 KB · Views: 167
  • View-from-South-East-side.gif
    View-from-South-East-side.gif
    127.2 KB · Views: 160
Thanks for the info AndyMc. I cant get onto the Durham page it is members only.Can you point me in the right direction of the other sites you mention? Is there a carpark at Middleham Lake? Also what do you mean by the A1 flashes?
Matt

Park with care anywhere on south side of village.
Have a look on Streetmap/Multimap - there are 3 public footpaths leading south out of village.
The A1 Flashes are alongside the canal-like stretch of water to the south of main Lake.
(The site of the old castle is a good vantage point to get your bearings)

Matt

Steve has covered the flashes, walking east from there you can get to Fishburn Lake etc.
Whilst you're on streetmap, Farnless is to the North of the village, near the quarries, the Bees should have now regenerated that area :-O.

Especially as you are a local, I think you would benefit immensely by joining the DBC as they are very active around your village with various projects. You'd be amazed at what's happening right on your doorstep :eek!:

Last edited:
Thanks for the further info guys. I will be up there the first chance I get.
It's amazing how many places like this are right on your doorstep and you dont even know about them!

Matt

DBC Castle Lake NR

Allways something of interest on the reserve,

Not 'arf, mate :t:

Excellent selection again this afternoon....
22 Whooper Swan in front of the hide and looking good for a nightstop
drake Garganey showing well on the far side feeding amongst the rushes
Ruff now total 4 with single Green Sandpiper still
80 strong flock of Fieldfare feeding up before departure
very healthy numbers of Gadwall and plenty of company from Pochard, Wigeon, Shoveler, Teal etc
noticeable increase in Pied Wagtail especially on the flashes
with Oystercatcher & Curlew in good number here too.

Plenty of Yellow Wagtail around yesterday, also Common Sandpiper.

Attachments

• 18042010 017.jpg
    18042010 017.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 169
Had a quick look at Castle Lake this afternoon with my 2 year old son so didn't stay long. I parked near the kids playground and walked up over the hill along the bridle path. This gave me views over the east side of the lake. Only had my bins so couldn't ID much on the lake but there was lots of birds on it and loads of Sand Martins and Swallows about. Got some close views of them as they flew overhead and onto the farm land behind us. No sign of the Yellow Wags.
I will be back on my own next time with my scope for a proper look around!

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back