• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A quick morning of birding in Australia (2 Viewers)

There is a patch of native bush with quite long grass at about a 50 m distance from my home, and this morning at about 7 am I decided to take a quick look at the birds that reside there. While walking towards the bush I saw 3 Bush-stone Curlews resting underneath a tree, a Common Mynah flying about (these are pests here and are all over Queensland), and a pair of Magpie larks walking on the ground. Right before arriving at the bush I saw a Laughing Kookaburra fly out of a bush, attempt to start his song before it got attacked by another Kookaburra who knocked him of his perch 😂 A little bit after that I saw 2 Sahul Sunbirds, a male and a female.

Once at the bush I saw a Yellow Honeyeater, 2 Peaceful Doves, and about a dozen of Striated Pardalotes. A trio of Chestnut-Breasted Munias flew overhead and landed in a tall eucalyptus tree where I could get quite nice views of them. As I went further into the tall grass (whilst only wearing jandals and shorts) I saw about half a dozen of Pale-Headed Rosella perched in another eucalyptus tree (these trees are everywhere, as you would expect). the rosellas started chatting away quite loudly, as they often do. I then saw a White-Throated honeyeater, all alone inside a bush. A Bar-Shouldered Dove flew overhead and perched on a power line. In the distance, high in the sky, a pair of Australian white ibises flew over and the screeching of a Sulphur-crested cockatoo could also be heard. A little later a pair of Rainbow Lorikeets joined the rosellas in their chattering and the bush was filled with quite a bit of bird songs. Shortly after this I saw my first lifer of the day, Scaly-Breasted Munia's (137). A single individual was feeding on some grains of the large amount of grass present, I later saw a group of 4 Scaly-Breasted Munia's and 2 Chestnut-Breasted Munia's together. I then saw a bird I did not expect at all; a Metallic Starling. These guys are usually in large family groups but the starling I saw was all alone with no sign of another anywhere. I continued viewing the rest of the birds that were still present until I decided to take a break and go back home. In total I saw 17 different kinds of birds and I spent about 60 minutes in the bush

Users who are viewing this thread

Back