• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Castro Verde area (1 Viewer)

Dawn Balmer

Has anyone been upto the Castro Verde area in recent weeks and can recommend any particular roads to search for bustards? I'll be visiting for a week from the 24th and have the usual booklets and trip reports.

Thanks
Dawn

Has anyone been upto the Castro Verde area in recent weeks and can recommend any particular roads to search for bustards? I'll be visiting for a week from the 24th and have the usual booklets and trip reports.

Thanks
Dawn

Dawn

I am going on Sunday, should arrive midday and then am staying over night in Castro verde then spending most day there until i fly out in the evening. So I will report back in detail before you go.

I already know where to go, but may as well wait until i have been.

Wolfbirder
No particular hotspots for Little Bustards but you'd be unlucky to miss them although the vegetation is already high.
You could ask the people at the LPN visitor centre. What they will probably also tell you (contrary to what you might read in some guide books) is that they don't want you entering their reserve areas along the N123 whether the gates are open or not.
P & J

Wolfbirder
No particular hotspots for Little Bustards but you'd be unlucky to miss them although the vegetation is already high.
You could ask the people at the LPN visitor centre. What they will probably also tell you (contrary to what you might read in some guide books) is that they don't want you entering their reserve areas along the N123 whether the gates are open or not.
P & J

I am going to check out the Rolao area down to Guerreira. I know the LPN land nearby, and wouldnt mind paying to be shown around, I gather they used to charge 15-20 euros. I didn't enter the gates first time I went, but second time I did (but keeping to main track) as locals were clearly using it quite noisily, so I couldnt see the harm in quietly driving along the main track they had noisily been on. But i shall check out other nearby areas then try to go to LPN visitor centre (tho i gather that is out on the Beja road and is closed on sundays and Mondays).

Glad to see this thread has been started, I'm coming out in June & would appreciate people posting their sightings on here kinda Mallorca 2010 stylie!

Thanks,

John.

Glad to see this thread has been started, I'm coming out in June & would appreciate people posting their sightings on here kinda Mallorca 2010 stylie!

Thanks,

John.

Hi all,

If you don't fancy car hire, I can thoroughly recommend you arrange a day out at in Castro Verde/Allentejo with Peter and June of Jupiter Birding. They will take you to all the good birds and they are very nice folk. I did so last spring and it was great. Over 100 Great Bustards and more Lesser Kestrels than you could throw a stick at. They even found me a Spanish Imperial Eagle. Check out their excellend blog - details in earlier post. They know all the accessible tracks and where to stop and scan.

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm, I've arranged a guided day out with Simon Wates who also comes highly recommended, can't wait!

John.

Simon will know exactly where to go and will get more than i could hope to get. In June Rufous Tailed Scrub Robin may wel be present, and possible even White-Rumped Swift. I hop eto get Bustards, maybe Rollers, and plenty of raptors thsi weekend.

i spent a day in late June last year, found Rufous Tailed Scrub Robin, White-rumped Swift (at Mina De sao Domingos), 8 Gt Bustards, Black-shouldered Kite, Roller,loads of shrikes & Griffons, ST Eagles & Booted Eagles, Monties etc.

Well, I had an enjoyable day in this area yesterday. I struggled a bit with Great Bustard and only had views of one female (quite good views though). I saw around 25 Little Bustards, which were really pretty common and conspicuous. The highlight were two immature Spanish Imperial Eagles, which I watched trying to catch hares. Other birds included 21 Black-bellied Sandgrouse (very distant though), 4 Great-spotted Cuckoos, 1 Roller, 25+ Lesser Kestrels, 1 Black-winged Kite, 2 Blue Rock Thrushes, a few Pallid Swifts, lots of Montagu's Harriers, Calandra Larks, Red-rumped Swallows, Crag Martins, Iberian Grey Shrikes and probably a few other things I've forgotten.

Well, I had an enjoyable day in this area yesterday. I struggled a bit with Great Bustard and only had views of one female (quite good views though). I saw around 25 Little Bustards, which were really pretty common and conspicuous. The highlight were two immature Spanish Imperial Eagles, which I watched trying to catch hares. Other birds included 21 Black-bellied Sandgrouse (very distant though), 4 Great-spotted Cuckoos, 1 Roller, 25+ Lesser Kestrels, 1 Black-winged Kite, 2 Blue Rock Thrushes, a few Pallid Swifts, lots of Montagu's Harriers, Calandra Larks, Red-rumped Swallows, Crag Martins, Iberian Grey Shrikes and probably a few other things I've forgotten.

Sounds excellent ! Hope the current iceland volcano ash issue has cleared by my sunday departure !:smoke:

Just heard all flights by Ryan Air cancelled until 1pm 19th April due to the volcanic ash so I will obviously not be going. Try again in 2011 !

Hi all, Just got back from the Algarve, I had a fabulous day out with Simon Wates in the Castro Verde area. Managed great views of both Bustards, had 12 species of raptor inc Spanish Imperial & Golden Eagles, Black Winged Kite, Lesser Kestrel & great views of Black & Griffon Vultures. Other highlights being great views of Rufous Tailed Scrub Robin, Roller, Rock Bunting, & Collared Pratincoles. Dipped White Rumped Swift, Great Spotted Cuckoo, & Black Eared Wheatear but I'm sure I'll be back to try again!

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back