• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baliem valley (3 Viewers)

smaximo

Has anyone been birding in this area of West Papua recently?
There aren't any reports in ebird for the last couple of years, but it seems that people can still travel to Wamena for tourism.

Hello Smaximo,

I was recently in the Baliem Valley (Feb 27 – Mar 3) based in the lovely Baliem Valley lodge.

The road to Lake Habbema is still closed and no sings for an opening in near future… The kidnapped NZ pilot (since March 2023!) has not been found yet and is probably hidden somewhere in the mountains by the lake. There is a police checkpoint near Wamena – no way to pass for a foreigner; even “Indonesian” people a not allowed to go up. I was told that a few guys just go with cars lead by Papuans and stay “hidden” in the car. That might be an option – but I was strongly advised not to try so…

Even the mountains east of the resort have (only now?) restricted access because of recent “conflicts” between local clans: I camped (with local helpers) at only 2.400m, but was not permitted to go higher up into the alpine zone. Really disappointing!

The only area at higher altitude being accessible by car is the “Pass Valley” some 20 km northeast of Wamena. However, if you consider to go there to a zone above 3.000+ m you should be prepared for a tough hike of several days …

All in all, I would advise you to wait until the situation has calmed down.

Btw, I was more than lucky and got my only target only by chance: two NG Woodcocks in the middle of the road near the pass before dawn.

Cheers - Tom

Hi and thanks for your reply.
Do you have an idea how are the conditions for photography?
Area the gardens/area around Baliem Valley lodge good for birds? I was also looking at that place.

Thanks.

I would say the conditions around the resort are good; the vegetation is dominated by bushes and a few taller trees. You can walk around without any restrictions. Have seen there two species of BoP (only females). In the densly vegetated rainforest nearby (some 2-3 km walk) probably much less good, but I'm not a photographer... Have not visited the paddies on the bottom of the valley; all private owned land, and you would need permisson to enter (exept roadside-birding)
Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back