• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identification help needed ,butterfly (1 Viewer)

headington7

I say butterfly,but I wonder ! Spotted to-day in a shady area,settling on briars,wild hedgerow,during the daytime.Small as far as butterflies go,brown wings with a number of small yellow spots on the front edge of the wings,these spots were random,not in a line/pattern.
Any ideas out there please ?
Mervyn.

headington7 said:
I say butterfly,but I wonder ! Spotted to-day in a shady area,settling on briars,wild hedgerow,during the daytime.Small as far as butterflies go,brown wings with a number of small yellow spots on the front edge of the wings,these spots were random,not in a line/pattern.
Any ideas out there please ?
Mervyn.

Could it have been a speckled wood (though from your description, it sounds smaller)?

Attachments

• speckled_wood7.jpg
    speckled_wood7.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 176
It certainly looks very similar although the random yellow spots were quite bright.It did not appear in my Observer book,is it VERY common in Central South Midlands ?
Thanks,
Mervyn.

headington7 said:
It certainly looks very similar although the random yellow spots were quite bright.It did not appear in my Observer book,is it VERY common in Central South Midlands ?
Thanks,
Mervyn.
A new brood has recently started to emerge, and the spots are quite yellow, with the ground colour seemingly much darker than the 1st brood. This gives the butterfly quite a different look compared to first brood, at least to y eyes anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back