• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Erasing history" in the WP (1 Viewer)

Very dangerous thread. When our American colleagues/ioc/whoever randomly changes common names sees it they'll doubtless implement (after first deciding the species are in fact tanagers of course)

Some more:

Liechtenstein's Sandgrouse - Marbled Sandgrouse
Pallas's Reed Bunting - Frosted Reed Bunting
Radde's Warbler - Sallow Warbler (from the Swedish)
Bolle's Pigeon - Myrtle Pigeon
Blyth's Reed Warbler - Carr Reed Warbler (also from the Swedish)
Upcher's Warbler - Tamarisk Warbler
Blyth's Pipit - Mongolian Pipit

I really like all of these new names that are more representing those species' ID characteristics / behaviour or center of range.

I find most birdnames commemorating people nonsensical and abstract. For me, they do not provide any info nor excitement and are actually distracting as they don't give any clue about a certain species' ID / Range,...

To make things worse, some of those scientists / explorers have more than one bird named after them and in some cases, most of those species are very hard to see as those explorers went waaaaay to deep into terra incognita (e.g. Snethlage, Forbes, Przewalski, Whitehead)! ;)

does it matter? only a small amount of people know about the origins of bird names,its hard enough getting used the new taxomy let alone new names pallas's warbler will always be pallas's warbler just like zitting cistacola will always be fan tailed warbler............you can change history but not erase it

does it matter? only a small amount of people know about the origins of bird names,its hard enough getting used the new taxomy let alone new names pallas's warbler will always be pallas's warbler just like zitting cistacola will always be fan tailed warbler............you can change history but not erase it
I cannot use "Fan-tailed Warbler" as there is a (really nice) bird in Central America with the same name.

Zitting Cisticola is a bit grandiose, but better than yet another warbler ("Zitting Identification Challenge" would better reflect what happens when you go to Africa).

Zitting Cisticola is hilarious, because zit in English has only one meaning: a skin disease, a blister, a pustule. So the Zitting Cisticola either has blisters on face, or is a bird which can give you blisters, something like a stinging nettle. Hopefully not just from watching it.

Hmmm ... it didn't come up on a quick google search for me ...

I wonder if the word zit (the sound) and zitting are new words based on 'Zitting Cisticola' lol.

There are any number of onomatopoeic words that you could make up or are really uncommon - plip, crip, smat, yop etc ...

EDIT: It's on wikipedia (maybe a birder wrote it based on their small warbler knowledge ;-) ), but not eg Collins -

Cisticolas must be among the least clearly-named birds of them all, though. Highly-subjective attempts at assigning a dubious adjective to a voice are no help.

Was that a chirp, or a tinkle?

A croak, or a rattle?

A zit, or a...er, sing?

A whoop or a holler?

Obviously, people learn to associate a particular song with the relevant species, but not because of the names.

Might as well just give them patronyms - how's that for an idea?

Cisticolas must be among the least clearly-named birds of them all, though. Highly-subjective attempts at assigning a dubious adjective to a voice are no help.

A croak, or a rattle?

A zit, or a...er, sing?

A whoop or a holler?

Obviously, people learn to associate a particular song with the relevant species, but not because of the names.

Where does Neddicky fit in?

John

A croak, or a rattle?

A zit, or a...er, sing?

A whoop or a holler?

I disagree. They are going to be a pain in the backside to name no matter what. The names are not perfect but they do help me with my limited expertise of African birds… and even if it’s not perfect, Wing-snapping or Croaking or Zitting or Croaking tells me more than a bunch of eponyms or a bunch of body part descriptors would in this group.

I disagree. They are going to be a pain in the backside to name no matter what. The names are not perfect but they do help me with my limited expertise of African birds… and even if it’s not perfect, Wing-snapping or Croaking or Zitting or Croaking tells me more than a bunch of eponyms or a bunch of body part descriptors would in this group.
Rock-loving always good for a smile!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back