• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 6x42 BGAT!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Leif said:

That's a model Zeiss only made for a few years, I believe in the 90's. It was meant as a waterproof alternative to the much heavier 7x50BGAT porros which have long been popular with sailors. Optically a superb pair, no doubt about it, but with individual eyepiece focussing. I thought about getting a pair at the time, but 6x isn't enough magnification for my purposes.

I reckon I could find out a bit more about these 6x42's, if anyone is interested.

Hermann

Leif, I have a Zeiss brochure from 1992 which includes this 6X42. It appears to me to have been made by combining the eyepiece from the 8X56 with the objective from the 7X42. Prism housings look to be the same in all three. Field width is 148m giving it exactly the same apparent field of 50.7 degrees as the 8X56 and about the same real field (2m less) as the 7X42. Weight is 790 g, 10 g less than the 7X42. Henry

Last edited:
For those who might be interested:

From an old brochure from 1990, these 6x42 binoculars were marked as T* P*, so they belong to the "modern" roof prisms with P-coating. I will try to find the brochure next time I visit my parents. Slightly odd things like these binoculars interest me in a strange way I can not really explain. Perhaps that's why I am interested in the Nikon 12x SE's.

I got a little interested in wide field binoculars when I tried the Zeiss Dialyt 7x42's, and these 6x42's should be even wider in view. Just out of curiosity, I am going to check this if I can find the brochure.

Hi Henry,

you made my posting slightly superflous even before I posted it...

Have you tried these binoculars in person?

henry link said:
Leif, I have a Zeiss brochure from 1992 which includes this 6X42. It appears to me to have been made by combining the eyepiece from the 8X56 with the objective from the 7X42. Prism housings look to be the same in all three. Field width is 148m giving it exactly the same apparent field of 50.7 degrees as the 8X56. Weight is 10 grams less than the 7X42. Henry

Hi Gunvald, No I"ve never tried these in person. They're definately on my list of "binoculars I should have bought when I had the chance". Because of their rarity the pair on ebay will probably wind up selling for substantially more than they cost new in 1992.

BTW I think the real field of the 6X42 is no wider than the 7X42 because the diameter of the field stop in the 7X42 eyepiece was calculated to match the diameter of the fully illuminated aerial image projected by the objective lens, as it is restricted by the apertures of the prism housing. Probably no wider unvignetted real field is possible with this objective unless larger prisms are used. Henry

Last edited:
gunvald said:
Hi Henry,
you made my posting slightly superflous even before I posted it...
Have you tried these binoculars in person?

I tried them for a couple of hours in the mid 1990's. Optically they were as far as I recall pretty similar to the 7x42BGATP I had at the time. Very sharp, excellent contrast and virtually no ghosts when viewing against the light. If anything I found them slightly better.

The field of view was similar to the 7x42's, but given their lower magnification they didn't feel quite so "wide". The depth was truly outstanding, like it should be with 6x binoculars. After all 0 diopters accomodation infinity begins at 36m with 6x binocular ...

With hindsight I should have bought them at the time. I didn't, because 6x isn't quite enough magnification for me - I find even 7x is a bit low, even when I'm carrying a scope.

Hermann

As I recall they were selling for about $450.00 at Adorama et al in the early 90's. I was really tempted but did not buy one. They weren't around for very long.
Bob

Leif - I had a pair of those 6x42 Zeiss roofs back in the 90s. They were light gray rubber coated. My recollection was that they were not all that outstanding. Being IF made them primarily a boating glass. I believe optically the current Leupold el cheapo 6x30 porro binocular is superior - just my opinion of course. John

The book "Military binoculars and telescopes" by Dr. Hans Seeger has a bit of history and a picture of that glass on P105.
Very impressive piece of work, extra wide angle porro, 160 meter FoV at 1000m, 10m more than todays' 7x42 BGAs. Given the technology then available it must have been a bear to calculate and grind the lenses.

Didn't they make a 6 x 42 Porro for a while also? Like the Sard, or am I imagining it?
Bob

Last edited:
zeiss D F 6x42 ww1

Dear Eyeball.
I have one of the original Zeiss 6x42,a fine glass which was only made for the Imperial German Navy in small quantities from 1915-- 1918.
Literature shows weight at 900 gms but mine complete with rain guard is 1.2 kg
Let me know if I can be of more help
Regards
John

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back