• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seawatching eyepiece ? (1 Viewer)

Karl J

What is a good eyepiece for seawatching ?

If it makes a difference i've a Swaro Ats 65, currently i've only got the 20 - 60 zoom which is ok but presumably a wider fov would be better so i don't have to move the scope (and lose the bird ! :eek!: )

Another thread i was looking at said to use a Wide-angle, but doesn't this limit the magnification ... (?) ... And with seabirds away into the distance isn't there a minimum magnification required ?

Thanks in advance :t:

A fairly low power wide angle eyepiece is certainly very good for seawatching, although there will sometimes be times when you want a bit more power so it's always a compromise. I seawatch with a 20x wide angle and that's usually good because I can see pretty much from the shore to the horizon and above with it. The need for high magnification depends a bit on where you seawatch. If birds are generally a fair way out then a wide field is less important than magnification but if a lot goes through close in then you'll be missing stuff without a wide field. The best solution is to go seawatching with someone else - one of you with a zoom, one with a wide angle!

20 x wide as Andrew says

some of the 30 x wides are okay too

field of view is very important when seawatching.....as is using your bins to locate birds at times, then scoping in.......

I have a 30x wide angle that I use with a Nikon 78 'scope for sea-watching - the only time I use this combination. It gives a good enough field of view and 30x is far better than 20x for a lot of what you see well out.

Steve

My first reaction was that the 20-60 zoom that Carlos already has would be fine.
But having noted that the Swaro zoom at 20x gives a FOV of 36m/1000m,whereas the 20xWA gives 60m,then I can see the relevance of the points above.

It partly depends on how high you are above the sea at you site. If you are only a meter or two above sea level, a 20 x 60 zoom at the 20x mag. works quite well and lets you zoom up when you get on a bird. If you are any higher (which is the case at most seawatching sites) a 20x or 30x wide angle is much better.

Thanks .... i only go around the Norfolk or Suffolk coast so no higher than 25m up, i'd say, so guess it's between the 20x & 30 x.

I was going to nip up Timberhill and set it up, but it's not too easy to judge the relevant properties in the middle of Norwich city centre. I obviously need a bit more thought on this one

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back