• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best compacts? (1 Viewer)

Bill A

Hello,

One of these days I'm going to replace my old Minolta compacts with something spiffier. I'm so very, very happy with my Swaro 8.5x42 EL's that I'm looking (on the net, since no one around here carries them) at the 8x20's from the same company. Anybody have any experience with them? How do they compare with the Leica 8x20's or other high quality small binocs?

Thanks,
Bill

Optically there's nothing between the Leica and the Swaro's but if you must have water proof rather than water resistant you'll have to cough up the extra bucks and buy the Swaro's.

Maybe, just maybe, the Liecas are a shade brighter.

Bill A said:
Thanks, Jon--

How's the eye relief for eyeglass wearers?

Bill

Hi Bill,

just 13 mm with Swarovski pocket. A bit short for using with glasses. Nikon Venturer (HG), Leica Trinovid and Zeiss Victory 8x20 are better in respect of eye relief, especially Nikon and Zeiss (15 and 16 mm) .

Steve

the zeiss 8x20 victory compacts are very good to handle, well placed focus knob...works ok with glasses also...

I spent some time viewing a number of compacts, and narrowed the choice down to the Nikon HG and the Zeiss Victory. I found them both to be excellent. I chose the Nikon, but I am sure you would not be unhappy with the Zeiss. Try them first!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back