• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for pocket sized qualiti bino. (1 Viewer)

My solution: I bought all three, but now only have the Curio 7x21, Ultravid 8x20 and Leitz 8x20.
I don't understand. You say you bought the three, then you say you only have the same three left, so it seems you didn't really dispose of any them, so why bring it up? Or does it mean you bought the LeiCA 8x20 Trinovid but kept an older LeiTZ Trinovid 8x20 you already had and disposed of the LeiCA Trinovid 8x20?
OP was specifically “Looking for pocket sized qualiti bino.”, hence making it a comparative search between pocket sized binoculars and completely irrelevant as to how they compare to larger options.
In a separate thread he mentioned owning 8x25 Hawkes, so he is presumably OK with the discomfort.

…does it mean you bought the Leica 8x20 Trinovid but kept an older Leitz Trinovid 8x20 you already had and disposed of the Leica Trinovid 8x20?
Yes, I’d originally had the Leica and after buying the Leitz, decided that if I wasn’t using the Ultravid, I’d keep the “smallest of all” Leitz 8x20.
In a separate thread he mentioned owning 8x25 Hawkes, so he is presumably OK with the discomfort.
I haven’t had the pleasure, but after this endorsement I suppose it’s worthy of giving a pass!

Having seen most of his posts I’m sure that’s not the case. There are some excellent pocket binoculars out there and he’s probably just taking his time deciding what to get.

Hello,
First of all, thank you all for your opinions and advice. It is not easy to make a decision, nor was it my intention to create a bad atmosphere and discussions beyond the merely instrumental.
That being said, I have to say that I am aware that a larger binocular, say 8x30, will almost always be more comfortable and possibly brighter.
For convenience it should be used more, but because of the size, in my case and I want to highlight this, I would use it less... why!?
I have had and still have bigger binoculars... but when I go for a walk or daily walk I don't usually carry my backpack, which is where I carry these binoculars, in short, I don't take them... that is... I rarely use them... and I use them What I want is to have a few little ones to put them in a small pocket, without a backpack..
When I carry the big ones in my backpack and I have seen something interesting, for example a bird of prey crossing the sky... I have not had time to take them out of my backpack and see it... I would have liked to have small ones, even more uncomfortable and less bright .. but to be able to see that or this, I have missed a lot of things because of this ..
Some little ones and with quality that's what I'm looking for!!
Best regards,
Poli

Attachments

• 1685604053510.png
    1685604053510.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 1685604053404.png
    1685604053404.png
    312 bytes · Views: 13
Just out of vulgar curiosity, why do you carry them in your backpack, and not around your neck?

My concern is that you keep emphasizing “quality” but you are not going to find a pocket binocular which has the same attributes as the one you either leave home or put in your backpack.

Hello,
First of all, thank you all for your opinions and advice. It is not easy to make a decision, nor was it my intention to create a bad atmosphere and discussions beyond the merely instrumental.
That being said, I have to say that I am aware that a larger binocular, say 8x30, will almost always be more comfortable and possibly brighter.
For convenience it should be used more, but because of the size, in my case and I want to highlight this, I would use it less... why!?
I have had and still have bigger binoculars... but when I go for a walk or daily walk I don't usually carry my backpack, which is where I carry these binoculars, in short, I don't take them... that is... I rarely use them... and I use them What I want is to have a few little ones to put them in a small pocket, without a backpack..
When I carry the big ones in my backpack and I have seen something interesting, for example a bird of prey crossing the sky... I have not had time to take them out of my backpack and see it... I would have liked to have small ones, even more uncomfortable and less bright .. but to be able to see that or this, I have missed a lot of things because of this ..
Some little ones and with quality that's what I'm looking for!!
Best regards,
Poli

Poli,

No worries. You have already identified the three best high quality candidates for your stated purpose:

Hello,
I'm looking for a really compact, pocket-sized, quality binocular to take with me wherever I go, and to use it a lot, I've had an 8x25 and even when it was small it was too big for what I'm looking for. I also have a Papilio 6.5x21 and neither.
That is why I think it could be one of these three:
  • Swarovski Curium 7x21
  • Leica Ultravid 8x20
  • Leica Trinovid 8x20

For context I own and regularly use all three. My subjective preference in order is Curio, UV, Trinovid. The Trinovids are (very slightly) the smallest and least expensive but they are not waterproof and the ER may be a tiny bit short if you want or need to use glasses.

Let us know how it goes.

Mike

For context I own and regularly use all three. My subjective preference in order is Curio, UV, Trinovid. The Trinovids are (very slightly) the smallest and least expensive but they are not waterproof and the ER may be a tiny bit short if you want or need to use glasses.

FWIW, I also have all 3 and completely agree with that assessment.

Poli,

No worries. You have already identified the three best high quality candidates for your stated purpose:

Let us know how it goes.

Mike
Mike, why do you like the Curio better than the UV? I have the UV and while I love them I have always wished they were 7x.

@PW42 Why do you prefer the Curio over the UV?

@Granpoli Small ones can be a bit finicky. I'd try the three of them if possible and see which one works best for you. I am thinking of eye positioning in particular.

Just out of vulgar curiosity, why do you carry them in your backpack, and not around your neck?

My concern is that you keep emphasizing “quality” but you are not going to find a pocket binocular which has the same attributes as the one you either leave home or put in your backpack.

I usually go out with three or four dogs, sometimes I bend over, they lick me, other times they jump at me, other times we start running, playing, other times other dogs come to see us, smell us, anyway... the occasional binocular fell off or got very dirty .. I consider that a small one tucked into the pants pocket is also better... in my personal case... in other cases it could change..

Being only 7x, it is very steady. These are my first 7x binoculars and I have been surprised how steady they are even compared to the 8x UV. They are brighter and have a wider field of view. They are also the perfect complement to my NL 12x42.

TBH, it took me a while to gel with the Curio but I do now prefer them by a margin to the UV.

I usually go out with three or four dogs, sometimes I bend over, they lick me, other times they jump at me, other times we start running, playing, other times other dogs come to see us, smell us, anyway... the occasional binocular fell off or got very dirty .. I consider that a small one tucked into the pants pocket is also better... in my personal case... in other cases it could change..
Thank you.

…why do you like the Curio better than the UV? I have the UV and while I love them I have always wished they were 7x.
I too would love to have the additional brightness of the 3mm exit that a 7x21 Ultravid would get, but even after switching to the Curio for a couple weeks, found myself going back to the Ultravid eventually.
Luckily I could imagine having either the Ultravid or Curio as an only binocular and have even carried them both at the same time so I could do lots of comparative viewing.

For me it’s:
Ultravid (overall favorite for handling, best colors)
Curio (brightest, easier eye alignment)
Leitz (tiniest package, most retro, least expensive)

Mike, why do you like the Curio better than the UV? I have the UV and while I love them I have always wished they were 7x.

@Granpoli Small ones can be a bit finicky. I'd try the three of them if possible and see which one works best for you. I am thinking of eye positioning in particular.

jafritten,

As you and others have offered in the meantime I generally prefer a 7x to an 8x. Specifically the Curio as opposed to the UV 8x20 has a much wider FoV, greater DoF, brighter steadier more "natural" image, easier one handed use if relevant, and I am in the minority the UV diopter adjustment is better on paper for me than in actual use. IMO one can't go far wrong with any of these three top contenders. YMMV.

Mike

@mwhogue and @Trinovid

When you say the Curios were brighter, do you mean they are brighter in an environment when your eyes' pupils are wider than 2.5mm (EP of the UV)? Or are they brighter in bright daylight when your eyes' pupils are 2.5mm or smaller? I am asking because I have noticed that the UV 8x20 are my brightest Leicas - in bright daylight.

FWIW The side by side paper test* gives me the following results (from brightest/whitest down):

1. UV 8x20 (from 2013)
2. Retrovid 7x (2023)
3. UV+ 8x32 (2016)
4. UV+ 7x42 (2020)
5. UV+ 10x42 (2022)

* Looking at a white sheet of paper through a barrel from its objective end in bright daylight.

Of the three originally named, my choice would be the Ultravid. But I'd also consider the Victory Pocket. I've still not tried one, and I'm very curious to see what they're like.

@mwhogue and @Trinovid

When you say the Curios were brighter, do you mean they are brighter in an environment when your eyes' pupils are wider than 2.5mm (EP of the UV)? Or are they brighter in bright daylight when your eyes' pupils are 2.5mm or smaller? I am asking because I have noticed that the UV 8x20 are my brightest Leicas - in bright daylight.

FWIW The side by side paper test* gives me the following results (from brightest/whitest down):

1. UV 8x20 (from 2013)
2. Retrovid 7x (2023)
3. UV+ 8x32 (2016)
4. UV+ 7x42 (2020)
5. UV+ 10x42 (2022)

* Looking at a white sheet of paper through a barrel from its objective end in bright daylight.

@jafritten,

Here's a brief comparison post of mine from January:

Several subjective observations regarding the Curio compared to the UV 8x20:

In overcast mid morning light, the Curio is noticeably brighter than the UV as expected.

In bright daylight the Curio is slightly brighter in direct comparison.

The Curio is much easier to handle and focus with one hand.

Both are excellent bins.

Mike

In comparing the two again extensively today I get the same results. One surprise today, in full bright daylight the Curio had slightly more saturated colors than the UV (?!). My guess based on bright lighting conditions is my pupils were 2.5mm but can't swear to it.

Mike

@jafritten,

Here's a brief comparison post of mine from January:

In comparing the two again extensively today I get the same results. One surprise today, in full bright daylight the Curio had slightly more saturated colors than the UV (?!). My guess based on bright lighting conditions is my pupils were 2.5mm but can't swear to it.

Mike
Thank you, Mike!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back