• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

south africa (1 Viewer)

glazzers

I will be going to south africa/swazi/zambia in august for 4 weeks to the following areas and would appreciate any advice on interesting birding spots.
Northern Natal including Hluhluwe-Umfolozi game park, St Lucia Wetlands,Swaziland then via Barberton onto Hazyview on the Kruger Park boundary finishing off with three days at Victoria Falls. All tips and advice most welcome

glazzers

South Africa

Hi Glazzers

If you get the chance to do a sundowner boat trip on the Zambezi don't miss it as you will likely get great views of numerous storks, skimmers and darters to name a few. Its a great atmosphere with Elephant and hippo thrown in. The Falls are great spectacle but keep one eye open for birds. Not in my opinion a great birding area but allways the chance of Rock Pratincole :clap: I,m actually going to Zambia in November again but this time further North to Bangwealu( sure I spelt that wrong) Kasanka and S. Luangwa. Hope you have a great trip. Brian B :)

There are supposed to be Taita Falcons in the Victoria Falls gorge but I never saw them there. I canoed along the Zambian side above the falls and we did see Rock Pratincole. Watch out for Trumpeter Hornbill and Schalow's Turaco in the riverine forest near the falls.

I've never been to Natal but plan to go some time soon.

David

Hi Glazzers and lads,

I am planning a trip to SA in November for 3 weeks for my first ever trip south of the equator. I also will be visiting Kruger and purchased a book on "Essential Birding West South Africa " By ohen and Spottiswoode.

The book looked informative enough but was wondering have any of you guys been there and have you seen this book.
How acurate is it etc..

I would appreciate any comments advise or tips.

Many thanks,

Murf.

South Africa

Hi John

I haven't seen the book you mention but for a field guide I think Birds of Sothern Africa (SASOL) Sinclair, Hockey And Tarboton takes some beating and is easily obtainable. Enjoy the trip. Brian B :)

I agree with the SASOL book. They also do one entirely for the Birds of Prey which iwould be of great help to you for Kruger Park.

Book accommodation in the Park early if you are staying there. It gets full quickly. Middle to South of the park is best for animals and the North for birds.

I am leaving tomorrow for four weeks. Will post a report when I return.

o:)

if you are in zululand / kwazulu natal- you have to go to ndumu and/or mkuzi- probably best birding in south africa for a small place. If you are around Pretoria in the Gauteng area, there are several excellent day trips- Rust dewinter Dam is very good (once saw 108 birds in a day) as well as Nylsvlei if there is water- these are both big dams with water and bush birds. Around Johannesburg, Marievale is good for waterbirds- again if there is water. at durban you should check out Durban Bay head for waders (need info)There is some great coastal and montane forrest in natal- look into some places there. The Kruger Park is good, but i guess you are not going in- if you do- thge area around shingwedsi is awesome, and the far north -Punda maria/pafuri is where the specials live (pels fishing owl, gorgeous bush shrke etc.) If you are around Lower Sabie check out the sabie dam- it is true that there are not many animals up north- lots of elephants but no lion, cheetah, rhino, leopard or wild dog to speak of
As for Zimbabwe- Vic falls is good- Zambesi national park is good- we got taita's at the falls- you might want to ask a local or two. In Zim, there is really good birding in the eastern highlands- Vumba and Chimanimani- i dont know how accessible or safe they are now but if you have the time (they are far from Vic falls)- check them out- so beautiful and loads of specials like swynnertons robin and augur buzzard.
Field guides- sasol is good. Newmans is old school but i love it. Roberts has got the best descriptions
Anywhere you drive in South africa there are birds on the road- there are some books that tell you where to go like (where to go birding in Gauteng etc.)
Check out fatbirder.com too
I am jealous- last time i was in SA we did the kruger and got about 180 birds in 5 days in the winter and during the biggest cold front storm of the decade during the last 3 days!
good luck
exley

Last edited:
Just to keep in mind

exley said:
if you are in zululand / kwazulu natal- you have to go to ndumu and/or mkuzi- probably best birding in south africa for a small place. If you are around Pretoria in the Gauteng area, there are several excellent day trips- Rust dewinter Dam is very good (once saw 108 birds in a day) as well as Nylsvlei if there is water- these are both big dams with water and bush birds. Around Johannesburg, Marievale is good for waterbirds- again if there is water. at durban you should check out Durban Bay head for waders (need info)There is some great coastal and montane forrest in natal- look into some places there. The Kruger Park is good, but i guess you are not going in- if you do- thge area around shingwedsi is awesome, and the far north -Punda maria/pafuri is where the specials live (pels fishing owl, gorgeous bush shrke etc.) If you are around Lower Sabie check out the sabie dam- it is true that there are not many animals up north- lots of elephants but no lion, cheetah, rhino, leopard or wild dog to speak of
As for Zimbabwe- Vic falls is good- Zambesi national park is good- we got taita's at the falls- you might want to ask a local or two. In Zim, there is really good birding in the eastern highlands- Vumba and Chimanimani- i dont know how accessible or safe they are now but if you have the time (they are far from Vic falls)- check them out- so beautiful and loads of specials like swynnertons robin and augur buzzard.
Field guides- sasol is good. Newmans is old school but i love it. Roberts has got the best descriptions
Anywhere you drive in South africa there are birds on the road- there are some books that tell you where to go like (where to go birding in Gauteng etc.)
Check out fatbirder.com too
I am jealous- last time i was in SA we did the kruger and got about 180 birds in 5 days in the winter and during the biggest cold front storm of the decade during the last 3 days!
good luck
exley

Hi , we love birding and to help visiting birders around. We live in the Limpopo Province near the Kruger Park. We are not a service or a bussiness, just birders who would like to help other birders, our house is open if you are coming to this part of the country.

Regards,
Casper

John N Murphy said:
Hi Glazzers and lads,

I am planning a trip to SA in November for 3 weeks for my first ever trip south of the equator. I also will be visiting Kruger and purchased a book on "Essential Birding West South Africa " By ohen and Spottiswoode.

The book looked informative enough but was wondering have any of you guys been there and have you seen this book.
How acurate is it etc..

I would appreciate any comments advise or tips.

Many thanks,

Murf.

Hi John

I used this book to bird mostly around the Cape Town area (as well as a couple of sites on the Garden Route and Overberg) about 5 years ago and found it very helpful.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back