• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some Lamprotornis starlings from NE South Africa (1 Viewer)

Rommich

France
Hello everyone,
These three individual Lamprotornis glossy-starlings from Kruger and Hluhluwe parks in South Africa are giving me some hard time trying to identify the species.
My best guesses are:
1, 2, 3 and 4 : Burchell's starling Lamprotornis australis (Kruger park on March 14)
5 and 6 : Greater blue-eared starling Lamprotornis chalybaeus (Kruger park on March 14)
7 and 8 : Cape starling Lamprotornis nitens (Hluhluwe–iMfolozi park on March 7)
I got some inconclusive/conflicting opinions from ID apps and personal research about these notoriously hard to distinguish species so I thought I might ask people here.

Attachments

• australis 1.JPG
    australis 1.JPG
    526.1 KB · Views: 14
  • australis 2.JPG
    australis 2.JPG
    853 KB · Views: 17
  • australis 2-2.JPG
    australis 2-2.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 18
  • australis 3.JPG
    australis 3.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • chalybaeus 1.JPG
    chalybaeus 1.JPG
    518.9 KB · Views: 13
  • chalybaeus 2.JPG
    chalybaeus 2.JPG
    620.2 KB · Views: 13
  • nitens 1.JPG
    nitens 1.JPG
    656.4 KB · Views: 13
  • nitens 2.JPG
    nitens 2.JPG
    628.4 KB · Views: 14
Hello everyone,
These three individual Lamprotornis glossy-starlings from Kruger and Hluhluwe parks in South Africa are giving me some hard time trying to identify the species.
My best guesses are:
1, 2, 3 and 4 : Burchell's starling Lamprotornis australis (Kruger park on March 14)
5 and 6 : Greater blue-eared starling Lamprotornis chalybaeus (Kruger park on March 14)
7 and 8 : Cape starling Lamprotornis nitens (Hluhluwe–iMfolozi park on March 7)
I got some inconclusive/conflicting opinions from ID apps and personal research about these notoriously hard to distinguish species so I thought I might ask people here.
I agree with all your ids. some notes:
Burchell's: long tail, but not long enough for Maeve's
Greater blue-eared: clear dark mask extending on to ear coverts. Eye often paler (yellow) than this in this species
Cape: the books/apps say they don't have a mask but they do: darker loral area extending below eye. Eye +/- always dark orange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back