• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Northern Ontario (1 Viewer)

Tammie

Hello from freezing Northern Ontario!

It's amazing how many countries are represented here! It's
-20 C here right now and my birds are eating heartily to keep warm.

I look forward to meeting people here and hopefully, picking a few brains when I need some info!

Tammie

Hi, Tammie, nice to have you along. We're having a heat wave here in England - it's a blazing +7 C here, and I'm thinking of wearing shorts when I go out birding tomorrow !

Tony

Hi Tammie, Welcome to Birdforums.

We never get as cold as -20 here in England. Do you still go out birding, or has everything moved south ?

Steve

Hi, Tony & Steve, nice to meet you!

Actually, I still try to watch the birds as much as I can but it's hard to get out for pictures in these temperatures.
Right now, my daily birds are: pine grosbeaks, evening grosbeaks, whiskey jacks (gray jays which I hand feed), black-capped chickadees, red-breasted nuthatches, downy woodpeckers, hairy woodpeckers. Come spring, there'll be a whole new selection, probably starting around March.
Our snow won't melt until April.
Tony, wearing shorts at only +7! I'm not brave enough to wear shorts at anything under +20C! :bounce:
Do you guys have back yard feeders? If so, what selection of birds do you have regularly?
Nice talking to you!

My yard is fairly small, and I'm surrounded by fields on two sides, with more farmland less than 200 yards away, so I get very few birds to my feeders - also the lady next door feeds the feral cats around the place, so birds here tend to be quite shy. I shall persevere, however, and attempt to concoct some delicacy my feathered friends will like.

Tony

I'm quite lucky the way my yard is set up.... the back and sides are surrounded by 30 foot jackpine trees and the front has poplar trees the same size right across the road. The birds have lots of protection.... except from the kestrel that scopes the feeders out all summer. Last year, I lost quite a few juncos to them. They make their nest not far from here. Striking birds to see! But, not until summer!
There aren't any cats that run around here but we do get red foxes coming around at night. Seldom during the day. I also have 3 flying squirrels at night. It can be quite the zoo around here!
Good luck finding something to entice the birds to your feeders.

Tammie,

Where in Northern Ontario? I come up that way most Summers. I fly out of Red Lake to the wilderness areas to the northwest.

Welcome:)

Tim

Hi Tammy, just a short note to say

Welcome to Birdforum :t:

I hope that you find plenty to interest you on the site. Members hale from far and wide and have all sorts of useful information that they are willing to share. I look forward to hearing about the birding in your part of the World.

See you around.

welcome to a great forum Tammy- I'm not too far south of you, in northeastern Michigan and we've got those same cold temps & winds right now. Hate to say it, but I'm ready for spring :)
Looking foward to hearing more about your area and the birds you enjoy there.

Best,
Cindy

Hi to everyone, pleasure to make your aquaintance!;)

Tim, to answer you, I'm about 3 hours southwest of Kapuskasing, near Manitouwadge... out in the bush. Or out in the 'boonies' as a friend of mine calls it! The town I'm in only has a population of under 15 people. It's a railway town called Hillsport. I know a few people from Indiana who come up here hunting and fishing every summer. Small world!
I'm thoroughly enjoying talking to everyone and learning about the different habitats in different areas of the world. Thanks for the warm welcome from Ian, Tim and Cindy. I look forward to 'talking' to you all more!

Hi Tammie from a fellow Northerner. I am in N. Central Sask. Our temps have been a little cool lately too. We have had the added problem of power outages - 7 hours on Sunday and 8 hours on Monday. The power line up here is presently being upgraded so until then we'll have to make do. We of course have similar birds at our feeders as well. Oh yes, the flying squirrels, I love them. Wonder if those here will let us count them in our tallys on this forum LOL! I was out your way 3 years ago - to Marathon - lovely country - lots of history, especially logging. Looking forward to talking more in the future.
Eve

Well Hello there Stranger

Thanks for suggesting this board Tammie, looks like there are a lot of nice folks here.

Stay warm...supposed to go to -5 F tonight here, a bit warmer than you .

Dave

Hey Dave! Nice to see you here! I was hoping you'd sign up for this one... I thought you might like it.

Hi Eve, nice to 'meet' you!
So you've been to Marathon... wow, that's only 2 hours from here and believe it or not, I'll be there shopping on Friday! Sure is a small world!
Power outages! In the cold you guys have been getting?! I sure hope you have a wood stove like I do. No heat like it in the northern winters! I know your area has even been colder than here.
As for the flying squirrels, you never know. They are much more graceful than some birds I've seen!
Nice to talk to you... Keep warm!

Hi Tammie,
Your picture of the grey jay was pretty fantastic, we haven't got our birds that tame over here. Which is just as well as my neighbour has five cats, we have a fair selection of small feeding birds at this time of year. Tits blue, coal, great and long tailed, finches chaff, green and siskins. Robins, blackbirds, dunnocks, starlings and the inevitable magpies and crows. I have a sparrowhawk that drops in for some fast food occasionally really fantastic to watch its flight especially when it misses it's intended prey

Hi Jayhunter,

If I had cats hanging around like that, I wouldn't try to tame any birds either!
One question: what are dunnocks? I've never heard that term before. I don't get magpies here but I do have robins (which I think are different from yours), blackbirds, crows and way too many starlings. I have two starlings here right now that should have left in November. I don't know how they are surviving the winter but they're managing.
Isn't a sparrowhawk the same as a kestrel? If that's the case, I get a nesting pair ever summer near here. Lost quite a few juncos and such to them last year. It's pretty amazing to see them come swooping down the road and through the yard. Gotta feel sorry for the little ones though!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back