• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Watching - best for beginners? (1 Viewer)

Quacker

Just reading through past threads, it seems a safe bet for someone new to birding and who has not yet read the re-hashed articles umpteen times. - Is that a fair conclusion?

I tried British Birds and that was too advanced (for me, that is) Birdwatch had too many overseas articles, so perhaps that leaves only one to try and then subscribe if required.

Didn't i read there's a free book if one subscribes?

Thanks
Steve

Yes, I would definitely recommend Bird Watching to a novice. I am afraid that I don't read British Birds, as to be honest I find some of it a little "dry", and besides I can't afford the subscription fee at the moment.

And, yes, there is a free book.

Don't forget birds illustrated - try a free copy first - it is a good read & much fewer ads etc and no filler articles such as blXXdy binocular reviews.

gusford said:
Don't forget birds illustrated - try a free copy first - it is a good read & much fewer ads etc and no filler articles such as blXXdy binocular reviews.

Yes, but for a beginner, binocular reviews might be useful. We all started somewhere, remember. If they stop people buying 10 x 25 compacts, keep 'em in, I say!

I must admit that out of the ones available I prefer Bird Watching too. It's more pertinent to my style of birding. I have dropped my subscription to Birdwatch as somehow it misses the mark for me.

Quacker said:
Didn't i read there's a free book if one subscribes?

Thanks
Steve

Hi Steve,

The subscription offer seems to change a bit from month to month...in recents issues there has been a monopod, fieldguide, or feeder+seed (there seems to be a choice between two...)

Personally I plumped for the excellent Collins Field Guide (cover price £16.99!!) which, together with the disount on subscription, makes this an excellent offer IMO.

Rgds... Ruby

Ruby said:
Hi Steve,

The subscription offer seems to change a bit from month to month...in recents issues there has been a monopod, fieldguide, or feeder+seed (there seems to be a choice between two...)

Personally I plumped for the excellent Collins Field Guide (cover price £16.99!!) which, together with the disount on subscription, makes this an excellent offer IMO.

Rgds... Ruby

Hello Ruby & Co.

Thanks for that. I have had the Collins for a number of years, as although it is only in the last year I have seriously started birding (loosely translated as spent a few k on optical gear & scoping goodies) I have always had an interest in birds, and been a voracious reader - I have lots of guides now, all special in their own way.

Having read Birdwatch and British Birds, they are not my cup of tea. Birdwatching seems the obvios choice as a one off subject to a subscription. Can anyone advise how to get a hold of a free/sample copy of birds Illustrated? - also isn't that quarterly? - I must admit that with RSPB WWT and various Local bird group Newsletters etc. there never seems to be enough to keep me going....

Needless to say I'm a great believer in the old adage one can never read too much and certainly one can never have too many books.

Regards

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back