• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AX Visio: is it really as bad as some reviewers claim?? (1 Viewer)

Canip

Isn’t the human brain an exceptionally wonderful device? Imagine: many adults can sometimes identify a bird even if it is hidden behind branches so that only a small part of the bird’s body is well visible. Trying to mimic that with electronic algorithms is extremely demanding, as any electronics engineer can confirm.

Reading some of the “reviews” of the Visio on the internet gives me the impression that people sometimes don’t really know what can realistically be expected from such a device (and, yes, it may not be too helpful if Swarovski puts the Visio in the neighborhood of “Artificial Intelligence”).

In my experience, the Visio can do amazing things. But to get full satisfaction out of its use, you need to spend a little bit of time and effort with it, more than the average reviewer seems to be willing to invest. So that’s why you get reviews with frustrated accounts of birds not identified, birds mis-identified, shortcomings of the camera, etc. etc.

As far as I can see, those particularly negative reviews on the internet (e.g. on FutureZone) were caused by WRONG EXPECTATIONS. If you go out and try to identify a raptor sitting on the top of a fir tree at a distance of 300 yards, I can guarantee that you will not get that bird identified in the Visio (you might still be able to use the ID picture taken by the Visio later to identify the bird in the Merlin app on the smartphone, depending on the quality of the photo).

To be clear: when I first wrote a post about the Visio, I answered the question “is the Visio the perfect birding device?” with NO – and that is still my answer after 10 days of more or less intensive use. The bird identification functionality of the Visio will sometimes give you no answer or a wrong answer. I had my fair share of no-answers or wrong answers myself. When I analyzed these answers, I came to a number of insights that I thought might be useful to share.

The Visio does have some limitations that will remain, since they are built-in (although the possibility of mechanical and even optical upgrades have been mentioned by insiders, the design of the Visio would allow these). Others will be dealt with over time via software updates (and new functionalities are to be expected from Swarovski and third party app producers in the future).

Here are a few findings, tips and recommendations, for whatever they are worth.

1. Give the Visio sufficient time to start up. The manual mentions a 30 sec. start-up time, but that’s just for the software to become operational. The GPS function needs sometimes more time, depending on where you are. Without it, ID does not work reliably. This also means that

2. You should leave the Visio on while you are actively birding. In my experience, the battery lasts several hours (even if you are regularly making shots with the camera or the bird ID function), which should be sufficient in many situations. If you are out birding for a full day or more without the possibility to reload, perhaps take an extra battery pack.

3. Most “bird not recognized” or “no bird” results in the identification function happen when you try to identify birds that are too far away, which means they will be too small to be identified by the software. The temptation is big to use the ID function on a bird that, with the 10x binocular, appears close and big and easy to identify, but is too far away for the camera of the Visio. Remember that you are not looking through a camera finder, what you see in the Visio is the image in the binocular. The camera does not “see” things as large as you see them in the binocular.
What does “too far” mean? There is no definitive answer; I have had positive results with birds in flight at over 150 yards (red kite) and negative results with birds in trees or on roofs at 30 yards (sparrow).
In general, don’t expect a positive identification result beyond 50-70 yards; you may get one, but more often you won’t. Between 30 and 50 yards, you will get positive results if the bird is well visible, not partially covered in branches, and in good lighting. Otherwise, you may get a “bird not recognized” result. Again, I have had good identification well beyond 30 yards where the bird was almost invisible between thick and thin branches, so these distances are not cast in stone. BUT: almost all non-identified bird photos of a decent quality can later be used in the Merlin app on the smartphone to identify birds. My success rate of this kind of “later ID at home” has been over 80%. This means that the limiting factor for on-the-spot identifications in the Visio is not the camera (since you can later successfully use the photos in the Merlin app), nor the Merlin app as such, but the integration of the camera with the Marlin app. So future software updates could actually improve the in-device ID of birds.

This also means that

4. The most useful feature of the Visio: it not only takes pictures when you use the photo app, but also each time you press the button in the bird ID function, whether or not the Visio can actually identify the bird in question on the spot.

5. If you use the ID function against the light (“backlit”), as is often the case when you are on the ground and the bird sits in a tree, identification is less reliable than with the light coming from behind you (of course, the same is true for your observations with a traditional binocular). Funny enough, however, I found identification of raptors flying in the sky above quite reliable.

6. Whether the camera of the Visio has insufficient focal length, as some reviewers claim, I don’t know; perhaps that is the case. But in my view, the camera is absolutely capable of taking photos for the purpose of recording or later ID, provided there is sufficient lighting. In the dark, the electronic functions of the Visio are hardly usable, and at dawn or dusk, the functionality is quite limited. That is a clear negative.

Of course,

7. You can change camera settings (within limits) when your Visio is connected to a smartphone. The following parameters can be adjusted in the Outdoor app:

• video resolution
  • image rate of video function
  • exposure value
  • brightness
  • contrast
  • color saturation
  • image sharpness

Try experimenting with these parameters!
Still, the camera and ID function do work quite satisfactorily on grey dull days, but dusk, dawn or night situations are out of its reach.

8. Like on the NL, I found the eyecaps on the Visio way too tight to quickly take off or put back on, so I replaced with some suitable Leica eyecaps.

9. I already mentioned in another post that you can change the language of bird names displayed in the Visio by using the Merlin app when the Visio is connected to your smartphone. You can even display two lines with e.g. English AND German bird names in the Visio.

10. Like on many cameras, you can turn the visible display of battery status, Bluetooth connection, A/F etc. by briefly pressing the On/Off button. In the compass function, repeated pressing of that button turns the inclinometer and / or the compass on and off.

11. Before using the compass, it is highly recommended to hold the Visio firmly in hand and swing it around, rotating it in all three dimensions (some smartphone manufacturers recommend the same for the compass in their smartphones). This greatly enhances the precision of the compass. But don’t expect it to work like a precision instrument, it can easily be 5 degrees off.

12. Many years back, a device such as the Visio would have come with a large manual, explaining all functions in quite some detail. These times are long gone (unfortunately, I might add, I am still largely an analog person ), and now you have to deal with a short summary manual and some video materials on the internet. For me, that is not ideal, and perhaps someone will write a book about the Visio, as has been successfully done for e.g. photo cameras.

13. There is a long list of things that I would love to see added in future versions of the Visio. Particularly welcome would in my view be more FOV, a laser range measurement function, image stabilization, and a zoom for the camera.
Some posters on the internet claim that without such additions the Visio is barely usable. I disagree and encourage people to test the Visio for themselves.

Do experienced birders need the Visio? I don’t think so. Is the Visio more than just a barely usable toy for spoiled “have-it-alls”? It is, in my personal view. But you have to be willing to invest a bit of time and effort to learn how to properly use the thing.

I add some photos to show what the Visio can – and cannot – do.

The first 9 photos below show correct IDs, the last 4 show no ID or wrong ID.

fwiw Canip

P.S. What I wrote under number 3. above about the (apparent) size of the image in the binocular vs. the camera is not true! See below posts 6, 7, 8 and 9 for explanation.

Attachments

• AXV_20240210-Collared Dove.jpeg
    AXV_20240210-Collared Dove.jpeg
    901.3 KB · Views: 125
  • No ID.jpeg
    No ID.jpeg
    970.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Great Tit - Wrong ID.jpeg
    Great Tit - Wrong ID.jpeg
    966.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Blue Tit - No ID.jpeg
    Blue Tit - No ID.jpeg
    965.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Blackbird - Non ID.jpeg
    Blackbird - Non ID.jpeg
    960.2 KB · Views: 115
  • AXV_20240214-Sparrow.jpeg
    AXV_20240214-Sparrow.jpeg
    965.6 KB · Views: 112
  • AXV_20240214-Blue Tit2.jpeg
    AXV_20240214-Blue Tit2.jpeg
    961.7 KB · Views: 107
  • AXV_20240214-Blackbird.jpeg
    AXV_20240214-Blackbird.jpeg
    955.9 KB · Views: 107
  • AXV_20240212-Magpie.jpeg
    AXV_20240212-Magpie.jpeg
    946.1 KB · Views: 107
  • AXV_20240211-Red Kite2.jpeg
    AXV_20240211-Red Kite2.jpeg
    961.4 KB · Views: 101
  • AXV_20240211-Red Kite.jpeg
    AXV_20240211-Red Kite.jpeg
    973.4 KB · Views: 99
  • AXV_20240210-Grey Heron.jpeg
    AXV_20240210-Grey Heron.jpeg
    960.5 KB · Views: 104
  • AXV_20240210-Great Tit.jpeg
    AXV_20240210-Great Tit.jpeg
    974.5 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
... what you see in the Visio is the image in the binocular. The camera does not “see” things as large as you see them in the binocular.
I don't want these binoculars at all, but I'm interested in what is said about them etc, and here you really learn me something... Indeed, I was absolutely convinced that the photos were a replica of what you saw in these binoculars !... And which made it one of the main attractions ! :unsure:

Last edited:
interesting thoughts on this! I wish everyone would think about technology and make conscious decisions of how they want it to intrude into their lives.

Using technology doesn't just make some things easier - it changes you as well. This type of tool is such an obvious choice to me. I could go out on a birding excursion with the computer as my companion, or I could go with other friendly humans, who can instantly identify any bird and teach me for free. With all the benefits of human social interaction that we need to survive and be healthy....not to mention carrying 42mm binos for 7 ounces less weight than these 32's.

And then there's the additional human interaction when I go to the pub and drink a few hundred pints with the money I saved :)

Canip, please, and in reference to my previous post, would you be so kind as to take a photo with your smartphone (Digiscopy), and put it side by side with a photo taken by the camera of the AX.
I think I'm not the only one who thought that the AX Visio camera reproduced what we saw in the binoculars, and would really like to see the difference.
I've seen a lot of videos, read a lot, here on the forum and elsewhere, and most are enthusiastic about the idea that the difficulties of digiscoping are finally over... But you are really the first to specify that the camera view in fact does not correspond to the binocular view.
Images would really help to clearly understand this important precision.
Thank's ! ;)

1. Give the Visio sufficient time to start up. The manual mentions a 30 sec. start-up time, but that’s just for the software to become operational. The GPS function needs sometimes more time, depending on where you are. Without it, ID does not work reliably.
This problem might be very easily fixed in a software update: Visio could store your last location when shut off, and re-use that initially until a new one is acquired.

The camera does not “see” things as large as you see them in the binocular.
How large is the difference? That seems unexpected and disappointing. Could greater magnification not be well achieved in this form factor?

BUT: almost all non-identified bird photos of a decent quality can later be used in the Merlin app on the smartphone to identify birds. My success rate of this kind of “later ID at home” has been over 80%. This means that the limiting factor for on-the-spot identifications in the Visio is not the camera (since you can later successfully use the photos in the Merlin app), nor the Merlin app as such, but the integration of the camera with the Marlin app.
This is surprising, and (unless a simple error) suggests an issue with processing speed, which would require faster hardware not a software fix. (Visio may be using some quick-and-dirty approach, just as the camera itself may not be quite optimal. One wonders how many years ago components were selected, and battery life is an issue.)

Funny enough, however, I found identification of raptors flying in the sky above quite reliable.
There can be more information in the shape of a flying than a perched bird.

How does Visio do on small birds that move around a lot: do you just hope to get a photo to ID later, rather than seeing it happen in the display?

Last edited:
take a photo with your smartphone (Digiscopy), and put it side by side with a photo taken by the camera of the AX.

You mean a photo with smartphone taken through the Visio eyepiece compared with a photo of the Visio camera?

Will do.

But a big CAVEAT, upon further reflection about my rash statement „The camera does not “see” things as large as you see them in the binocular“:

In fact, I don‘t really know that. All I know is that the stored photos show things smaller than they appear in the binocular. I don‘t know whether the camera uses a larger image for ID purposes. Would have to be explored.

12. Many years back, a device such as the Visio would have come with a large manual, explaining all functions in quite some detail. These times are long gone (unfortunately, I might add, I am still largely an analog person ), and now you have to deal with a short summary manual and some video materials on the internet. For me, that is not ideal, and perhaps someone will write a book about the Visio, as has been successfully done for e.g. photo cameras.

fwiw Canip
As someone who used to write handbooks for airport logistics systems for both freight and baggage (on average around eight well-filled A4 file folders per project) I agree very strongly.
RTFM is a very good tenet to adhere to, and today's cavalier attitude by companies who more often than not just fob the paying customer off with a QR-code on the box so one can try to decipher the equivalent of an A4 page on a poxy mobile screen is extremely offputting. Many companies even no longer produce pdf files one can download. These, if they are done well and professionally, have links in the index and the text linking to relevant parts in the same document, which makes their use a doddle. Just like using a traditional paper document. AND one can read them on any (size) screen, which may or may not be important as one gets older.
In this respect Swarovski are just following a general trend with their apparently 'shoddy' manual for this toy. At the price I personally would expect them to go the the expense of having their documentation manager or multi-media designer create a good PDF manual. Or even a quick-start-guide PLUS a comprehensive manual.

How does Visio do on small birds that move around a lot: do you just hope to get a photo to ID later, rather than seeing it happen in the display?
Correct. I think it's no different than when you are out taking pics with your camera or digiscoping. When these little rascals jump from branch to branch, leaving me one second or less to take a pic, I often press the button on the off-chance and hope I get something usable. In that case, more often than not I get no in-device ID and have to use the pic later.

take a photo with your smartphone (Digiscopy), and put it side by side with a photo taken by the camera of the AX.

So ...

In fact, this exercise seems to fully contradict my earlier statement about the size of the images taken by the camera of the Visio. Looking through the bino made me believe to see things much bigger then when they came out of the camera. Interesting !!

Tell me what your conclusion is, if any. Here are three pics to compare:

• target as taken by iPhone 14 camera (mag 1x)
  • target taken through Visio eyepiece with iPhone 14
  • target taken by Visio camera and stored in iPhone 14

Attachments

• IPH14.jpeg
    IPH14.jpeg
    950.7 KB · Views: 66
  • DIGISC..jpeg
    DIGISC..jpeg
    938.7 KB · Views: 68
  • AXV_20240217-095824.286.jpeg
    AXV_20240217-095824.286.jpeg
    972.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Oh, thank you very much dear Canip !!!! Really helpful in clarifying this point !!! 👍
And it is clear that 'Camera vision' is identical to 'Binocular vision', contrary to what you suggested in your first post, and which really seemed to me just like for Tenex, unexpected and disappointing.
Thank you really for taking the time, Buddy... really very kind of you !!! ;)

.... and I read you therefore saying that the Visio CAN replace digiscoping - the difficulties of which (as you also said) always gave me more frustration than satisfaction.

Sorry for the confusion caused by my original post - I still find objects in the image of the bino much bigger than those coming out of the camera, but that's obviously just my impression.

Isn’t the human brain an exceptionally wonderful device? Imagine: many adults can sometimes identify a bird even if it is hidden behind branches so that only a small part of the bird’s body is well visible. Trying to mimic that with electronic algorithms is extremely demanding, as any electronics engineer can confirm.

Reading some of the “reviews” of the Visio on the internet gives me the impression that people sometimes don’t really know what can realistically be expected from such a device (and, yes, it may not be too helpful if Swarovski puts the Visio in the neighborhood of “Artificial Intelligence”).

In my experience, the Visio can do amazing things. But to get full satisfaction out of its use, you need to spend a little bit of time and effort with it, more than the average reviewer seems to be willing to invest. So that’s why you get reviews with frustrated accounts of birds not identified, birds mis-identified, shortcomings of the camera, etc. etc.

As far as I can see, those particularly negative reviews on the internet (e.g. on FutureZone) were caused by WRONG EXPECTATIONS. If you go out and try to identify a raptor sitting on the top of a fir tree at a distance of 300 yards, I can guarantee that you will not get that bird identified in the Visio (you might still be able to use the ID picture taken by the Visio later to identify the bird in the Merlin app on the smartphone, depending on the quality of the photo).

To be clear: when I first wrote a post about the Visio, I answered the question “is the Visio the perfect birding device?” with NO – and that is still my answer after 10 days of more or less intensive use. The bird identification functionality of the Visio will sometimes give you no answer or a wrong answer. I had my fair share of no-answers or wrong answers myself. When I analyzed these answers, I came to a number of insights that I thought might be useful to share.

The Visio does have some limitations that will remain, since they are built-in (although the possibility of mechanical and even optical upgrades have been mentioned by insiders, the design of the Visio would allow these). Others will be dealt with over time via software updates (and new functionalities are to be expected from Swarovski and third party app producers in the future).

Here are a few findings, tips and recommendations, for whatever they are worth.

1. Give the Visio sufficient time to start up. The manual mentions a 30 sec. start-up time, but that’s just for the software to become operational. The GPS function needs sometimes more time, depending on where you are. Without it, ID does not work reliably. This also means that

2. You should leave the Visio on while you are actively birding. In my experience, the battery lasts several hours (even if you are regularly making shots with the camera or the bird ID function), which should be sufficient in many situations. If you are out birding for a full day or more without the possibility to reload, perhaps take an extra battery pack.

3. Most “bird not recognized” or “no bird” results in the identification function happen when you try to identify birds that are too far away, which means they will be too small to be identified by the software. The temptation is big to use the ID function on a bird that, with the 10x binocular, appears close and big and easy to identify, but is too far away for the camera of the Visio. Remember that you are not looking through a camera finder, what you see in the Visio is the image in the binocular. The camera does not “see” things as large as you see them in the binocular.
What does “too far” mean? There is no definitive answer; I have had positive results with birds in flight at over 150 yards (red kite) and negative results with birds in trees or on roofs at 30 yards (sparrow).
In general, don’t expect a positive identification result beyond 50-70 yards; you may get one, but more often you won’t. Between 30 and 50 yards, you will get positive results if the bird is well visible, not partially covered in branches, and in good lighting. Otherwise, you may get a “bird not recognized” result. Again, I have had good identification well beyond 30 yards where the bird was almost invisible between thick and thin branches, so these distances are not cast in stone. BUT: almost all non-identified bird photos of a decent quality can later be used in the Merlin app on the smartphone to identify birds. My success rate of this kind of “later ID at home” has been over 80%. This means that the limiting factor for on-the-spot identifications in the Visio is not the camera (since you can later successfully use the photos in the Merlin app), nor the Merlin app as such, but the integration of the camera with the Marlin app. So future software updates could actually improve the in-device ID of birds.

This also means that

4. The most useful feature of the Visio: it not only takes pictures when you use the photo app, but also each time you press the button in the bird ID function, whether or not the Visio can actually identify the bird in question on the spot.

5. If you use the ID function against the light (“backlit”), as is often the case when you are on the ground and the bird sits in a tree, identification is less reliable than with the light coming from behind you (of course, the same is true for your observations with a traditional binocular). Funny enough, however, I found identification of raptors flying in the sky above quite reliable.

6. Whether the camera of the Visio has insufficient focal length, as some reviewers claim, I don’t know; perhaps that is the case. But in my view, the camera is absolutely capable of taking photos for the purpose of recording or later ID, provided there is sufficient lighting. In the dark, the electronic functions of the Visio are hardly usable, and at dawn or dusk, the functionality is quite limited. That is a clear negative.

Of course,

7. You can change camera settings (within limits) when your Visio is connected to a smartphone. The following parameters can be adjusted in the Outdoor app:

• video resolution
  • image rate of video function
  • exposure value
  • brightness
  • contrast
  • color saturation
  • image sharpness

Try experimenting with these parameters!
Still, the camera and ID function do work quite satisfactorily on grey dull days, but dusk, dawn or night situations are out of its reach.

8. Like on the NL, I found the eyecaps on the Visio way too tight to quickly take off or put back on, so I replaced with some suitable Leica eyecaps.

9. I already mentioned in another post that you can change the language of bird names displayed in the Visio by using the Merlin app when the Visio is connected to your smartphone. You can even display two lines with e.g. English AND German bird names in the Visio.

10. Like on many cameras, you can turn the visible display of battery status, Bluetooth connection, A/F etc. by briefly pressing the On/Off button. In the compass function, repeated pressing of that button turns the inclinometer and / or the compass on and off.

11. Before using the compass, it is highly recommended to hold the Visio firmly in hand and swing it around, rotating it in all three dimensions (some smartphone manufacturers recommend the same for the compass in their smartphones). This greatly enhances the precision of the compass. But don’t expect it to work like a precision instrument, it can easily be 5 degrees off.

13. There is a long list of things that I would love to see added in future versions of the Visio. Particularly welcome would in my view be more FOV, a laser range measurement function, image stabilization, and a zoom for the camera.
Some posters on the internet claim that without such additions the Visio is barely usable. I disagree and encourage people to test the Visio for themselves.

Do experienced birders need the Visio? I don’t think so. Is the Visio more than just a barely usable toy for spoiled “have-it-alls”? It is, in my personal view. But you have to be willing to invest a bit of time and effort to learn how to properly use the thing.

I add some photos to show what the Visio can – and cannot – do.

The first 9 photos below show correct IDs, the last 4 show no ID or wrong ID.

fwiw Canip

P.S. What I wrote under number 3. above about the (apparent) size of the image in the binocular vs. the camera is not true! See below posts 6, 7, 8 and 9 for explanation.
Finally a review from someone who actually used the product! And an excellent review, I might add to it

.... and I read you therefore saying that the Visio CAN replace digiscoping - the difficulties of which (as you also said) always gave me more frustration than satisfaction.

Sorry for the confusion caused by my original post - I still find objects in the image of the bino much bigger than those coming out of the camera, but that's obviously just my impression.
Optics4Birding let me do another test run with their AX Visio demo unit. I took it outside at mid-morning in cloudless Southern California. Pictures and videos were done at various distances, along with using the Merlin app. I share Canip's remark that the bino image appears larger than those coming out of the camera on initial look though it turns out that screen size and photo enlargement factors change that impression readily. I did not think to take 1x, 3x, and 10x photos with my Samsung S22 Ultra at the same time for comparison nor did I think to measure the camera field of view angle.

The AX Visio was put onto the Swarovksi BSP Bino Suspender Pro I use with my NL Pure 10x42 with Forehead Rest. Note that the AX Visio does not have option for Forehead Rest. On the chest and in use, I did not find the increased mass of the AX Visio compared to the NL Pure 10x42 even a slight burden with carrying it for about an hour. The AX Visio was comfortable in the hand. I found that focusing with left index finger and using right index finger for the electronic controls worked well. I also found the camera auto-focus came into play once the binocular was focused on the target, otherwise the image taken could remain out of focus.

At 500-750 meters I took photos and video of crows mobbing a hawk, see below. The photo enlarges satisfactorily on my computer to get an idea of resolution. The video at 30 seconds produced a 73MB file, with a little shaking evident in my handheld use.

At 100 meters I took a photo of the side of a truck.

At 10 meters I took a photo of a flowered area to show colors.

At 5 m I took a photo of a little brown job who popped out of a nearby bush to fluff feathers. A video at 5 meters also had a little shaking in my handheld use.

The convenience of the immediate ability to have a photo or video taken during an eyes-on bino observation is eye-opening for me.

Attachments

• AX VISIO_AXV_20240216-104453.647.jpg
    AX VISIO_AXV_20240216-104453.647.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 65
  • AX VISIO_AXV_20240216-103017.639.jpg
    AX VISIO_AXV_20240216-103017.639.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 57
  • AX VISIO_AXV_20240216-103147.710.jpg
    AX VISIO_AXV_20240216-103147.710.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 66
  • AX VISIO_AXV_20240216-104316.055.jpg
    AX VISIO_AXV_20240216-104316.055.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 69
At 5 m I took a photo of a little brown job who popped out of a nearby bush to fluff feathers.
Song Sparrow. (processing time 0.1 sec)
The convenience of the immediate ability to have a photo or video taken during an eyes-on bino observation is eye-opening for me.
I do think this, and not the built-in ID, is what more people will ultimately want.

Last edited:
Anyone who has spent time at a raptor autumn migration count site (there are more than 200 in the U.S.) -- where relatively few species are involved -- knows that even seasoned count-site experts disagree on occasion. A 10x AV photo could prove a useful tool for later examination. This is especially true because the birds are traveling in roughly the same direction and the observer is stationery -- inherently advantageous for AV use.

Trivial, perhaps, but one advantage of the AV, not reported in earlier posts is that a "first state record" observation -- at least in FL -- normally requires a confirmation photograph for examination by the Florida Ornithological Society Records Committee. I assume the same is true for most states in the U.S.

Additionally, rare bird sightings bolstered by a photograph often prove useful and offer validity.

Lastly, I assume photography with the AV requires time to master its potential, just like photography using conventional cameras. Even the best high-end alpha cameras can't compensate for horrid lighting conditions or improper settings or technique.

Last edited:
Anyone who has spent time at a raptor autumn migration count site (there are more than 200 in the U.S.) -- where relatively few species are involved -- knows that even seasoned count-site experts disagree on occasion. A 10x AV photo could prove a useful tool for later examination.
But it's not a "10x AV" photo. The focal length of the camera is 260mm, that's more something like 5x. 260mm is IMO rather too short for bird photography, including record photography. Most birder here use focal lengths of 400-600mm to document observations. Some use even longer focal lengths.

Another point: The quality of the photos isn't really good enough to allow much cropping, no doubt the result of the tiny sensor and presumably also of some rather severe compression of the jpg's. Some photos I've seen so far show some rather heavy compression artifacts.

Hermann

Last edited:
But it's not a "10x AV" photo. The focal length of the camera is 260mm, that's more something like 5x. 260mm is IMO rather too short for bird photography, including record photography. Most birder here use focal lengths of 400-600mm to document observations. Some use even longer focal lengths.

Another point: The quality of the photos isn't really good enough to allow much cropping, no doubt the result of the tiny sensor and presumably also of some rather severe compression of the jpg's. Some photos I've seen so far show some rather heavy compression artifacts.

Hermann
But it's not a "10x AV" photo. The focal length of the camera is 260mm, that's more something like 5x. 260mm is IMO rather too short for bird photography, including record photography.
Thanks for the correct info on magnification.

"Most birder here use focal lengths of 400-600mm to document observations. Some use even longer focal lengths."

Whew! I've used Canon 600 mm f/4 IS and ISII lenses for 14 years. I don't know of any sane person on earth that carries a 600 mm lens while birding... it's absolute insanity due to its size and weight and the absolute need for a heavy tripod and a gimbal. Good luck in the woods carrying a 600 mm lens and a tripod/gimbal looking for birds -- or even in open country in anything but hospitable terrain. Like carrying an anvil.

Even the latest, lightest, 6th generation Canon RF 600 mm ($13,000 USD) is way too cumbersome to be practical for birding. Great for photography, but that's not birding, it's photography. You don't carry a 600 mm lens up to Hawk Mt. (HM) to count raptors -- you use binoculars. And even the much lighter/superb Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II-- a lens I own --would be a handful to carry up to the HM North Lookout.

Last edited:

Hermann

It could be done by increasing the megapixels per picture with the help from Topaz Lab Gigapixel AI Gigapixel AI for those lower megapixels cameras etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back