• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Status of Black Crowned Sparrow-Lark (1 Viewer)

sidwemn

Hi,

I've just returned from a weeks holiday in the Gambia, birding within an hours travel of Kotu.

On 10th December whilst birding at Brufut Woods, I came across a male Black Crowned Sparrow-Lark. My copy of Barlow, Wacher & Disley states the distribution as Northern Senegal with no records from The Gambia. My field guide was printed in 1997 so is a bit dated. I have noticed however, that this species is mentioned in one or two trip reports.

Does anyone know the true status of this species in The Gambia? Assuming it's rarity, who would I submit the record to?

Thanks

Martyn

Attachments

• Black-Crowned-Sparrow-Lark-.jpg
    Black-Crowned-Sparrow-Lark-.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 65
Start with Ebird.org submiting that and the rest of your Gambia observations. The coverage for Africa was added relatively recently, so you cannot yet use the map in there to answer your question - but there might be a reviewer who can direct you to more resources.

http://www.africanbirdclub.org/ would be the other place to start, they have fresh checklists for all the countries

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back