• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Migration across Strait of Gibraltar (1 Viewer)

A friend of mine called Rachid El Khamlichi was observing regularly (more or less) bird migration across the Strait of Gibraltar in the past years. Unfortunately, he is away at the moment. I, myself, used to watch bird migration across the Strait during some days in spring with some friends. Are you looking for information about best watch-posts or similar?

A friend of mine called Rachid El Khamlichi was observing regularly (more or less) bird migration across the Strait of Gibraltar in the past years. Unfortunately, he is away at the moment. I, myself, used to watch bird migration across the Strait during some days in spring with some friends. Are you looking for information about best watch-posts or similar?

Hi Mohamed,

I am specifically interested in discovering exactly where the birds which I see arriving in Spain are departing from, which presumably varies on a day by day basis.

However any information you could provide about departure points in Spring, and indeed watch points in general would be very welcome.

The departing point from Morocco in spring is dependent on wind direction and strength. With westerly winds, birds depart from the western side of the Tangier Peninsula and arrive mainly on the eastern side of the northern shore (e.g. at Gibraltar). With easterly winds, birds depart mainly from or near Jbel Moussa, and arrive mainly at or near Tarifa. With these winds there is a good watching point near Plage Dalia (sign-posted Dalia) which is a few hundreds metres east of the Tanger-Med Port and accessible by cars.

Thanks, Acrocephalus.

In westerly winds how does "west of Tanger" rate against "east of Tanger" for departures ?

In easterly winds, you say "from or near Jbel Moussa" but the watchpoint you quote seems to imply that the birds are not taking advantage of Jbel Moussa itself to obtain lift, or is it simply that nobody climbs Jbel Moussa to watch birds ?

In westerly winds, birds depart from the western side of the southern shore of the Strait (i.e. near Tangier), Cap Spartel (c. 13 km west of Tangier) and Cap Malabata (c. 10 km east of Tangier) are good watching points in these conditions. As a rule, the stronger the winds, the more to the west is the departing point.

In easterly winds, birds indeed take advantage of Jbel Moussa to obtain lift, but the mountain is mostly inaccessible (especially the higher points), whereas the watching point I quoted above (near Dalia Plage) is well situated near the road, with Jbel Moussa on the back and Strait in the front.

Thanks, Acrocephalus.

Today was interestingly different with hundreds of black kites arriving at the east end of the Strait despite there being an easterly wind.

Makes one wonder if they change to navigating by compass when they cannot see across the Strait.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back