• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bee-eater - Wiverton, Norfolk (1 Viewer)

postcardcv

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
I was glad to find that this bird had hung around, shame the light was so poor.

Attachments

• beeeater_8658.jpg
    beeeater_8658.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 162
  • beeeater_4014.jpg
    beeeater_4014.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 201
  • beeeater_8775.jpg
    beeeater_8775.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 149
  • beeeater_3951.jpg
    beeeater_3951.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 141
  • beeeater_8660.jpg
    beeeater_8660.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 136
Is the bee-eater a rarity in UK?

Technically not a rarity in the sense that it is no longer considered by the National Rarities Committee. It ceased to be considered after 1990 but the threshold is very low for that - on average less than 10 records annually. It is certainly a very scarce vagrant and on top of that exceptionally difficult to see in the UK due to their transient and unpredictable nature.

All the best

Hi Postcard

I have to say, I have never heard of any sightings of Bee-eaters in the UK. Great news to see them in Norfolk.

We had the pleasure of seeing a colony of them at Cala Tirent over the past 2 weeks of our holiday in Menorca (just got back today)

One observation was noted that there as a lot less of the numbers of the colony this year compared with the past 4-5 years - so that has me a little worried. There was a quarter of the numbers there.
One thing I did notice was the farm land that they colonise, and stay at is For Sale at the moment

Hopefully the lay of the land is not changed so they cannot build their nests in the sand banks anymore.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back