• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwich terns at Two Tree Island (1 Viewer)

seanalfi

I was at Two Tree yesterday and on the lagoon there were a pair of sandwich terns. I was just wondering whether they are a regular occurance at Two Tree? Should i submit a report to the Essex recorder? It might be that they are pretty regular species here so just wanted to check with any local patch watchers.

I was 95% sure of ID on first sighting, thrown slightly by the quite extensive white on their crowns. However on checking field guides I read that this is normal and by mid-summer they are well on the transition to winter plumage. Helpfully they were superbly positioned next to black-headed gulls for size comparison.

Also on the lagoon were 80+ oystercatcher, c. 300 black-tailed godwit, 6 common terns, a few common pipes and a singles of curlew sandpiper and redshank.

Last edited:
It is always good practice to report sighting such as this - the Sandwich Terns and the other waders you have seen. It all adds to the stock of knowledge about Essex birds and it is easy now to report your sightings on-line at www.ebws.org.uk

Stewart

Hi Stewart - thanks for the link. Records duly uploaded. Agree, very easy to upload data.

With regards to Sandwich Tern occurrance at Two Tree does anyone how how frequently they do turn up?

With regards to Sandwich Tern occurrance at Two Tree does anyone how how frequently they do turn up?

Sorry, Two Tree Island is the other end of the county for me and I'm not that familiar with it. I'm sure Steve Arlow could answer your question if he sees this post.

Stewart

Usually Sandwich Terns are not uncommon at Two Tree Island, feeding in Benfleet Creek and off nearby Canvey Point however they seem to rather scarce in the area this year.

Passage birds should be passing through soon and that should put numbers up but wouldn't expect large numbers on Two Tree, the Canvey Point roost and then birds feeding in the creeks from mid August and through September should, with any lucky, be regular occurance. Depends on how good the season was for breeding, weather and tides.

regards

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back