• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sightings from Antigua (1 Viewer)

Tanager66

I've just returned from ten days birding in Antigua (and a few days in Guyana).
Notable sights from Antigua included:
Max count of 22 Ruddy Duck from McKinnons on Aug 6th
Max count of 24 West Indies Whistling Duck from McKinnons on Aug 16th
Adult Black-headed Gull present from Aug 5th, still present Aug 16th
3 Bridled Quail-Dove at Wallings Reservoir on Aug 6th
Max count of 16 Nutmeg Manakin at Dickinson's Bay on Aug 8th

The stars of the show, however, were two Least Bittern found on a pond 1/4 mile north of the Sir Vivien Richards Cricket stadium on Aug 16th.

Good numbers of waders especially Stilt Sandpiper, Short-billed Dowitcher and Semipalmated Sandpiper.

Regards,
Simon

Thanks for this report of your bird sightings Simon.
Antigua and the Runaway Bay (McKinnons Pond) area is our favorite holiday destination.

Simon, welcome to birdforum!

I believe your observations would be very welcome in Ebird.org.

Niels

I've been birding the island for eight years now, with one or two visits each year. Local birding information is very difficult to come by, so it would be interesting to hear about any of your sightings. Most of my birding on the island is concentrated on either the forest around Wallings Reservoir (which is particularly good late in the year) or around McKinnons, although most of the major sites on the island get some sort of coverage during each trip.

Regards,
Simon

Had a quick look at the e bird site and noticed that there are a couple of species that have been recorded that I have not yet seen.
I've managed to record 125 species over the last few years which I'll start to load onto the website when I have some time.

Regards,
Simon

Great Simon! On the bar chart, you will notice that some periods have insufficient data to even say anything sensible, so every little piece of information in those periods would help

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back