• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bulgaria Trip Report Sept' 11th to 25th 2004 (1 Viewer)

Watcha Chris

always good to see beer at 35p a pint

Black Stork at Communist Hills sounds a good mix too

nicely produced website and report..... i must get up to speed with that stuff

Looks like you cleaned up pretty well, Chris.

I spent a week there in spring about ten years ago, well worth going back!

Lots of good views, too, judging by the pics.

Cheers,

Andy.

Tim Allwood said:
Black Stork at Communist Hills sounds a good mix too

Sad as it may seem, Tim, when we were told of the name of where we were, I thought to myself "I 'know' someone who'd love that!".

Andrew Rowlands said:
Looks like you cleaned up pretty well, Chris.

I spent a week there in spring about ten years ago, well worth going back!

Lots of good views, too, judging by the pics.

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi Andy,
yeah we did pretty well - although we missed some of the warblers, flycatchers and Saker. We're already planning our return visit in Spring!
Congratulations on the promotion. Have fun.

CJW said:
Hi Andy,
yeah we did pretty well - although we missed some of the warblers, flycatchers and Saker. We're already planning our return visit in Spring!
Congratulations on the promotion. Have fun.

I managed to fluke a distant male Semi-collared in a managed (read plantation) oak woodland. Being Spring and a group of 20-odd, I didn't try to get closer - couldn't get another 'scope onto it - they had to queue up! Bee-eaters digging nest burrows below ground level in the dunes...Cirl Buntings singing from roadsign perches...gorgeous Black-headed Buntings...loads of really great birds!

A week was barely enough for the southern half of the coastal belt, especially with settled weather.

How did the overall price compare to a two week Cornish trip?

Thanks for the congrats; fun? Whaddaya mean? ;)

Cheers,

Andy.

Andrew Rowlands said:
How did the overall price compare to a two week Cornish trip?
Well, Cornwall usually costs the two of us about £1k for one week all-in. This two week holiday was about £1,600 for the fortnight (all-in).
No contest really.

Thanks, that was a mine of information if anyone wanted to know about Bulgaria, the way the bird pics were laid out was good too. :t:

Jasonbirder said:
Fascinating report - very interesting! Now if I can only persuade my wife to consider it as holday destination...

Tell her, it's sunny, cheap with lots of shopping opportunities. Sorted. ;)

Yo there Chris and greetings from the Northern Frontier.

Ship docked tonight and managed to download megga pile of e-mails, then browsed forum and caught up with your bird report, first class and some interesting piccy's. I'm looking forward to Bulgaria in spring next year.

Cheers pal, Stewart

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back