• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One day layover in December (1 Viewer)

angrysunbird

Sabine's Sunbird
Hi guys! I'm going to have exactly one day's layover in Bangkok on December 12th. I've been doing some reading around the possibilities and am thinking of doing something stupid and going for a day trip to Khao Yai. It's been a decade since I was last in Thailand and have great memories of that park, and I have a hankering for forest species like hornbills, babblers and trogons.

So I guess my questions are -

Are there any closer forests that you can take a tour to that would fill my need for forest species?

Who's a good guide for a crazy day of birding?

Feel free to tell me I'm being stupid and that instead I should be doing (xyz)!

I don't think it is that crazy really - you can reach the southern entrance to the park from the airport in about 90 minutes by car. In terms of a guide I would suggest your best bets would be with the usual suspects if they are available.....I can give you contact details if you wish. I can't assist as I shall be in a classroom all day. There is also plenty of birding in and around the airport extending down to the seaside at Bang Bu, as some of the posts here show. An alternative might be Ban Phra to the east.

I meet day-trippers from the airport in Khao Yai occasionally. If you want a forest, it's the only place worth considering I think.

What's it like to drive in Thailand? Presumably if I go from the airport to Khao Yai and back it would avoid the worst of city driving. I'm reasonably experienced at driving, even done some in Africa.

The drive from the airport to KY is easy and shouldn't present any major problems. Good fast road. There's a thread here about driving in Thailand which I suggest you read. Signs generally are in Thai and English.

Just an update, I took a tour with Peter Ericsson, and had a fine old time at Bang Pra, Bang Poo and the fishponds, and saw 111 birds in a day. Some pretty sweet birds too, including Oriental Darter and Black-headed Ibis.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back