• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ghana December 2023 (2 Viewers)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
There have been many trip reports here on Ghana, so I'm not going to go into details on my recent trip.

But I did want to write in praise of Ashanti African Tours, and particularly our guide, James Ntakor.

The efficiency of organisation was perfect - not just the itinerary & transport, but the logistics for meals, local guides/guards, etc was impressive.

James is a fabulous birder, bird-finder & has a real knack for getting birds into scope view, even when they are high in the canopy. (I had my scope & struggled to replicate his prowess in this regard.)

All our accommodations were great. The Picathartes site a moderate walk from their lodge at Bonkro.

Egyptian Plover at a site in mid Ghana was a breeze.

Taped-in torchlight views of Akun & Fraser's Eagle Owls, & Brown, Freckled & Standard-winged Nightjars & White-faced Scops Owl were amazing.

We really worked hard for Red-chested Owlet, & James simply wouldn't give up until we got great views, following an hour of hearing it high in the canopy. That was a top bird!

Bat Hawk, a bird I've dipped on SO many times, finally got on my list; another highlight for me, out of 207 Lifers.
We saw c.415 species out of c.630 of the entire Ghana checklist.

James is also available independently. PM me if you want his contact details.

It is a few years since I used Ashanti for a trip but I definitely agree with them being a top quality company. Thoroughly recommended for anyone planning on visiting Ghana.
I am fairly sure that most if not all the international birdtour companies use them as ground agents.

Yes, I have read glowing reviews of the Ntakor brothers, and it is good to hear that others have had good experiences with Ashanti.

However, I know some people are reluctant to post negative reviews of tour companies or guides, but for balance with the above remarks I think it is important. So I want to note that in 2016 I did a similar tour with Victor Owusu (who is still at Ashanti according to their website), and was not impressed with the company or the guide. During the tour we had an incident with the driver when towards the end of the day he began driving erratically and aggressively, as well as almost getting into an altercation with a local when we stopped. We all believed that at some point during the day he had become inebriated. The guide didn't take control of the situation, and Ashanti's response once we got to our hotel was to request a vote among the participants as to whether the driver should be replaced. The majority voted to replace him, and he was replaced eventually, but the vote was close because some of the more soft-hearted in the group wanted to give him a second chance. I don't believe having a vote was the appropriate response – Ashanti should have simply replaced the driver ASAP. Other participants should not have had the ability to force me (or others) to travel with an unreliable and possibly dangerous driver, especially in an undeveloped country with substandard medical care.

Regarding the guide, he knew the birds and could find them, but he did not use a laser pointer, and rarely used it once a participant lent him one. (Use of laser pointers is standard practice on tropical birding tours to point out hard to spot birds in foliage.) As a result, several participants missed birds. One participant also complained to me that the guide did not show up for an agreed-to special excursion to look for owls. The guide also seemed detached and sometimes unfriendly. I also would not recommend him for female birders in particular – he espoused (before an all-male group) sexist views that were reminiscent of those prevalent in the 1950s in developed countries.

Hopefully, things have improved since 2016.

Last edited:
There were no issues with either driver & guide. I can't speak highly enough of James, who, every day, put in 14 hr days of solid birding. He was unwavering, enthusiastic, indefatigable & dedicated - he knew our targets better than we did, having read our tick lists.
In addition he was personable, had a good sense of humour & always ready to help out in any way.
I met his brother twice - he seemed friendly - & was on an independent tour with two Danish birders.
Our driver was brought in from a hire car company - they don't always use him - & he was very good too.

On our recent trip, not with Ashanti, we had a tyre issue, as NASA would say, we had an 'unscheduled disassembly'. We then discovered there was no spare, resulting in us being stuck, in the middle of nowhere on a scorching hot day, for four hours until we got the tyre fixed.

On another day, our 4x4 got stuck, when we got it freed, again, we discovered a back tyre was flat so we had it fixed while we were off birding. The very next day, that same wheel, separated from the vehicle, in transit.

I had an accident causing a gash in my lower leg which should have had ten stitches. A local 'clinic' put five stitches in and the wound, promptly burst wide open again upon the removal of the stitches, ten days later. Medical treatment whilst basic, was at least free though I had to endure the stitches being put in 'Rambo' like with no numbing agent. There was also a power cut at the time and my wound was stitched in the dark, with our guide, using his phone to light the area for the nurse. It was, shall we say, culturally interesting to watch nurses, going about their duties with a baby on their back.

It's all part of the experience.

Our guide was fantastic.

Last edited:
I did an independent trip with Kwame Brown (who sometimes posts here); no issues whatsoever. I also saw some of the work Ashanti do, and happily donated my spare cash to further their efforts.

I was with James Nkator and Ashanti 2 years ago and recommend them very highly. Their organization and bird finding was perfect, he knows all the bird sounds including contactcalls of small songbirds. When I had to return earlier due to family emergency he organized everything perfectly and I had no hesitation to leave a birding mate with him, who enjoyed the tour. One of the best guides I ever had.

Yes, I have read glowing reviews of the Ntakor brothers, and it is good to hear that others have had good experiences with Ashanti.

However, I know some people are reluctant to post negative reviews of tour companies or guides, but for balance with the above remarks I think it is important. So I want to note that in 2016 I did a similar tour with Victor Owusu (who is still at Ashanti according to their website), and was not impressed with the company or the guide. During the tour we had an incident with the driver when towards the end of the day he began driving erratically and aggressively, as well as almost getting into an altercation with a local when we stopped. We all believed that at some point during the day he had become inebriated. The guide didn't take control of the situation, and Ashanti's response once we got to our hotel was to request a vote among the participants as to whether the driver should be replaced. The majority voted to replace him, and he was replaced eventually, but the vote was close because some of the more soft-hearted in the group wanted to give him a second chance. I don't believe having a vote was the appropriate response – Ashanti should have simply replaced the driver ASAP. Other participants should not have had the ability to force me (or others) to travel with an unreliable and possibly dangerous driver, especially in an undeveloped country with substandard medical care.

Regarding the guide, he knew the birds and could find them, but he did not use a laser pointer, and rarely used it once a participant lent him one. (Use of laser pointers is standard practice on tropical birding tours to point out hard to spot birds in foliage.) As a result, several participants missed birds. One participant also complained to me that the guide did not show up for an agreed-to special excursion to look for owls. The guide also seemed detached and sometimes unfriendly. I also would not recommend him for female birders in particular – he espoused (before an all-male group) sexist views that were reminiscent of those prevalent in the 1950s in developed countries.

Hopefully, things have improved since 2016.
Interesting, Sarah and I used Victor for our Ashanti Tour in 2015 (driver for us was Appiah) we had a great trip, he was very friendly, excellent with the birds and at that time did use a pointer to get us on a few birds.

Interesting, Sarah and I used Victor for our Ashanti Tour in 2015 (driver for us was Appiah) we had a great trip, he was very friendly, excellent with the birds and at that time did use a pointer to get us on a few birds.
I believe he had just done a few tours back-to-back before we got him in 2016. So he may have been somewhat burnt out by that time. But that is the nature of the business with a limited season, so not an excuse in my book.

Has anyone done the Ashanti small group tours (rather than just hired them for themselves). Their website wants a lot of info from you to get any details but I just wanted a ball park price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back