• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

where to see birds in dec?package holiday (1 Viewer)

malgringo

hi can you please help wanting to go on hol in begining of december on a package hol,but dont know where to go for best would like to see lots off birds if poss but with gf so limited to traveling from resort to much any ideas please?was looking at gambia sounds great but not sure?and prices reasonable ,but amount of jabs needed sounds bad,any where in europe you know of please?flamingoes be good

Have been to the gambia twice and would definately recommend it. As for jabs check with your doc but there are no compulsory innocs to enter the country but they do recommend anti malaria tabs. When i went we went up country and stayed in the camps so i ws fully jabbed up but most people i spoke to around the hotel etc had either had none or just tet. There are birding sites local to the hotels and plenty of local "guides" only to willing to help

Go to any of the Eastern Spain costas you might be surprised, fair enough Southern Spain is 'the' place in Iberia but the country has a lot more to offer than that. Birders around this area are trying to promote green tourism to try and show local governments that this is worth investing in and change the balance of power from the hunting fraternity. We may not have the number of species offered down south but we do have some very special sites with excellent birding opportunities, especially for people who like to find there own species. (I will now get off my soapbox).

Agree with Tim (not again!) on this one, if your looking for a package deal where you don't require to be on the move then I would say the Canaries (Tenerife would be a good base) or Mallorca.

If you do not mind a bit of travelling around the country then Southern or Eastern Spain or Morroco.

If your going for more than 1 week then I'd highly recommend Goa, excellent accomodation and food at Baga, and all the sites can be visited for the day. Also a 3 day trek over to Backwoods Camp (very well setup) from Baga can be arranged making it the perfect relaxing/birding holiday around.

Look on various websites for trip reports of these areas, try surfbirds.com or birdtours.co.uk for further ideas.
My winter report for south Spain can be found here
http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/Spain/tour2/s&w-spain-jan2002.htm
Had a great time, and it's easy to set up. Goa is just as easy to sort out, it may sound exotic, but its very well catered for tourists

All the best

A couple of other possibilities would be Tunisia or Egypt. If you are prepared to hire a car for a few days you could also take a package to Cancun and explore the Yucatan.

Cancun and Yucatan!

great suggestion Rhion

plenty of endems, nice beaches, great diving, cheap, good food and beer etc.....very nice people

I have a trip report on the area on BF somewhere

atb
Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back